Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Knives from DX

Hmm, I thought ceramic knives are superior in every aspect to traditional steel ones, they are supposed to be what, 50x more durable than steel, translated into 50x less sharpening cycles?

Well, not DX ones obviously, the real high quality ceramic knives.

EDIT - Found wiki article:
Zirconia ranks 8.5 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, compared to 6 to 6.5 for hardened steel, and 10 for diamond. This very hard edge rarely needs sharpening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_blade

Last edited:

@Eudaimonium

Ceramic knives are far superior in edge retention, however the problem is the blades are very brittle. If you happen to drop a ceramic knife blade first onto concrete from a few feet, there is a fair change you will chip or brake the blade. Hit the blade with a hammer... it will break.

With a steel or titanium(very few and expensive, but they are out there) knife the blade has a little flexibility to it.

The main reason I don't like ceramic knives, and would never recommend one for EDC is that if you ever find yourself needing to pry something open, you're out of luck. With no flexibility the blade will snap.

This is the primary reason ceramic knives do so well in kitchen cutlery... no contact with hard surfaces, so the blade doesn't really chip, and stays super sharp for a long time.

Hmm, I thought ceramic knives are superior in every aspect to traditional steel ones, they are supposed to be what, 50x more durable than steel, translated into 50x less sharpening cycles?

Well, not DX ones obviously, the real high quality ceramic knives.

EDIT - Found wiki article:

Ceramic knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good ceramic knifes are better then steel when talking about keeping its sharpness, its just that they are brittle as hell and will chip and break if handled to roughly

Imho i rather have a quality stainless steel knife, they might go dull faster but they are way easier to re-sharpen them
And steel knifes can take a hit and or a fall since steel is more flexible then ceramic

Aw i got beaten lol, also post count 666:eg:

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess I didn't exactly think of everyday-basis practical applications for a knife we'd need :eek:

Thanks for clearing it up, guys.

On topic. I reccomend katana.

And for slicing time-space continuum.

Seriously, that's sick in a good way. The best way.

Anyhow, about EDC knife LaZeRz wants, well for the price range I guess everything is going to be more or less same quality. I say, just look at all the pictures and choose the one which is most aesthetically pleasing to you.

Can't go wrong with 10$ knife.

Helios

Personally besides for the purpose of looking at I find cheap knives end up broken or missing pieces if you actually try to use them on a regular basis.

My friend bought a cheap spring assisted knife and after trying his I decided to buy my own but I went with a made in the USA Kershaw Leek. A month later a screw loosened up and fell out of my friends knife and it literally split into a half dozen pieces the next time he tried to use it. My Kershaw is still sturdier, lighter, and the action much smoother after over a year of regular use than his cheap knife ever was.

I also recently bought a inexpensive "stiletto" style knife on ebay and it broke the day it arrived.

Now there are some cheap knives that are great but they are pretty hit or miss.

Here is a video of the Kershaw Leek (not my video)

Last edited:
IMO getting a $10 knife is a mistake. Except of course if it's for curiosity:p

The S&W is a fair cheap choice...

Off the top of my head, the kershaw vapor is pretty cheap. Will require lubrication most likely, but it's basically identical to the leek except it doesn't have spring assist.

Edit: Recommended leek before:p I have four of them, very useful for one handed use. The one I had the longest, from back in 2006, only problem with it is that the little plastic safety mechanism eventually broke. Aside from that the knife still works perfectly. Edge retention could be better, but to be fair, these are super easy to sharpen.

Last edited:
Id say everyone needs a nice quality damascus steel knife, just the looks of it is worth owning one...and i dont mean the cheap ones with printed pattern on it:p

To Lazerz, as Eudaimonium said quality-wise those dx knifes are almost the same, just read the reviews on dx about them.
Pick your knife based on looks and reviews....in the future you will probobly buy more so keep the other knifes in your wish list

Last edited:

Helios

Id say everyone needs a nice quality damascus steel knife, just the looks of it is worth owning one...and i dont mean the cheap ones with printed pattern on it:p

This is the Leek that I wanted originally but they are quite a bit more expensive

K-1660CKTDAM.jpg

This is the Leek that I wanted originally but they are quite a bit more expensive

K-1660CKTDAM.jpg

Good looking, and yea they are pretty expensive.

I once had a really old one, Cant even remember what brand it was, got it from a friend, and later i passed it on to a friend to.
At the time i tought it was useless, and now i miss it

Last edited:
@Lotus_Darkrose -

I have a couple of those, two with 3.0 with combo edge, one with straigh edge and one 3.5. All with teflon coating.

Actually had them for forever, from ~2002 or so. Aside from the finish getting scratched off with use, they are still in perfect working order. Pretty sure I paid $20 for the 3.0 and $25 for the 3.5".

Gerber is excellent as far as budget knives go. While I'm at it... don't think Buck was mentioned yet. Lately their knives don't really excite me as much, but back in ~2000 they were pretty good.

Often when it came to knives, I'd go stop by the local hunting/camping stores to check out the knives in person. If the price difference wasn't big I bought on the spot, if it was... well online is always cheaper:p

I haven't gotten a new knife in over 8 months. I guess laser addiction replaced knife addiction:undecided:

Yeah a few months ago I sat down and made the blade completely bare :D (My version was black anodized).

Also, I wish I could do even 1 percent of this with my butterfly knife.

Last edited:
^^^Never really understood the point of it. I mean it's a great testament to digital dexterity but kind of pointless. To me weapons have to be practical first, intimidating... down the line.

Kind of reminds me of the old indiana jones moment: