Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Klingon Disrupter "toy"

Has anyone ever tried building a laser into a Klingon disrupter toy housing?
It seemed like a neat brother to a Star Trek phaser.

12117-ssy-disrupter.jpg

An SSY-1 NdYag module seems to fit like a glove in this "toy" The opening under the module fits a basic Axis module and the trigger is two stage for target and fire. This will no longer be a toy!
HM

Last edited:

I've never even seen the inside of one of these. It looks like it has a laser module where the trigger should be. I have no idea what the components are inside this thing. Seems like there's plenty of room for a heat sink, batteries and a laser module and driver. Thanks for showing it here. I learn something new all the time. + rep.

It looks like you've already done some laser work on it after a second look. What is that in the place where a laser would go? I can't quite make it out and I don't want to sound foolish by guessing wrong.

Last edited:
The top will hold the Li Cells plus the Power supply and trigger circuit. Below is the SSY-1 unit with capacitors behind and the trigger switches are in the grip. I forget now what crap was in there but it seems to be made for a NdYag! Any spare area will be stuffed with FLASH caps!
The power supply is capable of 1,000 Volts for the flash tube and the module appears to align with the output opening which will have a couple lenses. The targeting laser below the SSY is a small green module.
HM

Last edited:
It looked like it might be a YAG, but didn't see the pump diode or power for it. It would need a lot more space to use flash lamps. That is a lot of capacitors which makes one think of a flash lamp. Would have to be a small one. Looks like a small laser module just below the output lens for a laser sight. Is this yours, or is it something you found a photo of?

Last edited:
This is an NdYag SSY-1 module with a flash tube. Because it has a dye cell Q switch, I once had it ionize air! The module is surplus and now hard to find. I hope to be able to feed the chamber about 20 J from the caps.

By the way, the power supply is a photo flash supply with a voltage doubler.
HM

Last edited:
I sure like this project, I've been buying up ever SSY-1 I can find for 200 dollars or less for a project needing several of them.

WTH ???? " You'll Shoot yer eye out "....JK !!!!! And...we inch....in very , very, very small steps...to the inevitable end game. The name of which...I cannot speak !!!!

But...the Boyz from dARPA ...very likely got a lot of this stuff....and....as soon as we run outta spent Uranium for ammo... and solve the " little " problem of man-carry raw power...maybe they have done this....then....we will see this tech magically appear on the battle field. We gotta try out the " New Toys " ??? Don't we now ?????

Merry Christmas....!!!!! :eg::eg:
Nice work HM !!!!..." A simple Blaster...Morbius " hahaha
CDBEAM

Last edited:

BobMc

The Klingon Varon-T-Disruptor was outlawed by the Federation.

Reason: the disruptor literally tore the body apart at the molecular level from the inside out, resulting in a relatively slow and excruciating death by disintegration compared to more quick and painless means using phasers and disruptors. Only five were ever produced; four of them were owned by Zibalian trader Kivas Fajo and he slept with one of them under his pillow. Fajo used a Varon-T disruptor to kill Varria when she and Data attempted to escape his ship. (TNG: "The Most Toys").

Don't ask how I know these things.
:crackup: :D

Last edited:

GSS

Guilty as charged. :D
And how old are you Bob??:whistle: diachi is just a kid and has an excuse...:shhh:
Just kidding:can::) How could someone not love Star Trek, although I favor the TOS series and haven't watched TNG much or faithfully.
Some though do take it bit to far with all the dress alike's and even making their whole living room look the the Enterprise bridge:rolleyes:
Never knew that about the Varon-T disruptor:)
I kind of don't want to ruin Hemlock's OP thread but thats a early Remco TOS phaser he's modding and one of the first toys made..Way back that's as close to the real prop as they could make a toy without getting sued for copy rights.
I do though have a feeling Hemlock knows and just planning his great idea:beer:

Last edited:

BobMc

@GSS, that is my excuse, but just like Diachi, he has the "I'm a youngster" excuse. I have the I'm a "old guy" excuse. It's all you middle aged people that are without excuse. :D

Sorry Hemlock about derailing your thread. I just wanted you to know that your Disruptor was against Federation law. Don't get caught with it. :crackup:

Last edited:
I remember the series from it's very beginning. It was kind of like an extension of the Twilight Zone once it was cancelled. I didn't like TNG at first. As I recall, the first episode had some puppets used as two aliens that were held captive by a humanoid populace. It took me a while before I got hooked on it.