Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kitten chasing yellow laser

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_J61Va8prk[/media]

Good for a smile. :)

Kenom

are ya sure it's yellow? that camera's color sucks. Looks like it might be green but with the yellow tint of the camera, is making it look yellow. Is this your laser?

yeah thats his video lol.
and see his avatar, he has a yellow laser.

Switch

Wow, most kittens don't have the luxury to chase a yellow laser.Heck, I haven't even seen yellow coherent light :p

omg, that was soooo cute!

And a yellow laser, that's pretty rare.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

nice! kittens are fun!

my cat and dog chase my lasers. when im testing them out or focusing them i have to make sure the beam is higher than they can jump otherwise i may end up with a blind pet

Switch said:
Wow, most kittens don't have the luxury to chase a yellow laser.Heck, I haven't even seen yellow coherent light :p
lol i know that's what i was gonna say, it has no idea how lucky it is to even see a yellow laser, most people have never seen one.

Wow, that cat is a little more energic when chasing lasers than mine. Most of the time it just stares at the dot, but sometimes it chases it for a minute or so. But when I put the beam of my x-85 some feet above the ground, then she's active! It seems she wants to catch the beam, not the dot. I use to put it on a bookshelf about 5 feet from the ground, and my cat is jumping as high as she can to get the beam. ;D It looks really funny.

I also noticed one thing when "lasing" with my cat: with a lil red laser pointer, she's not very active. With a green, she is much more active. And when I put a blu-ray dot before her, she ignores it completely! Can't a cat see a blu-ray or what? Does someone have an explaination for this?

My cat is the opposite, kinda. Loves the blu, the green - not so much, plays only with the beam.

My dog ignores the dot of my green laser, sometimes tries to bite the beam, but I haven't tried a red, but my friend's dogs both go crazy with both colors. Maybe some breeds don't see certain wavelengths? Or it's a personality thing?

diachi

Awwwwwwwwww it was Sooooo cute :) and funny too :p

The cats round here don't chase my lasers any more, they got wise to it, they just look at me now as if, WTF are you doing fool ?

Benm

As far as i know, both cats and dogs are dichromats and have very little possibilities for color vision. I doubt they would be able to see the difference between yellow and red.

my cat loves red, green, and blu ray.

i also have to shih tzus.

the girl shih tzu goes crazy for all the lasers and the boy could a rats ass about any of them.

he actully just chases the girl dog around while she chases the laser.

but he most definitely can see the dots cause if its just him he will look at it with little interest but wont chase.

(he must just be smarter than the others)

also a weird this with my green one of my dogs will chase it but if you turn the lights off she doesnt care or cant see it.

it makes no sense!

Lol, awesome video. My neighborhood cat doesn't seem to like the Violet laser either, but it likes the green and red.

RA_pierce said:
My dog ignores the dot of my green laser, sometimes tries to bite the beam, but I haven't tried a red, but my friend's dogs both go crazy with both colors. Maybe some breeds don't see certain wavelengths? Or it's a personality thing?

It's personality.

Benm said:
As far as i know, both cats and dogs are dichromats and have very little possibilities for color vision. I doubt they would be able to see the difference between yellow and red.

Some dogs see better than others. Sighthounds will have better eyes and better color perception than scenthounds. As to the colors they see, I've seen many different theories. The one that seems to pop up the most is that the middle of the spectrum blurs for them, and they see lots of yellows.

thesk8nmidget said:
my cat loves red, green, and blu ray.

i also have to shih tzus.

the girl shih tzu goes crazy for all the lasers and the boy could a rats ass about any of them.

he actully just chases the girl dog around while she chases the laser.

but he most definitely can see the dots cause if its just him he will look at it with little interest but wont chase.

(he must just be smarter than the others)

also a weird this with my green one of my dogs will chase it but if you turn the lights off she doesnt care or cant see it.

it makes no sense!

Again, this is proof why dogs chasing lasers is personality. It all stems from something called prey drive.

With dogs having trouble seeing colors in the middle of the spectrum, it makes sense that they would have trouble with green. My dogs are much more sensative to colors at either end of the spectrum, they'll go after my 15mw violet or a 3mw red before the 70mw green. They'll chase the greens though, but only if another color isn't presented to them.

Speaking of which, I'll take a vid of them after a laser tonight. If ya'll like the cat, you'll love this. :D