Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Kind of new-ish to lasers, looking for high power laser capable of igniting gasoline.

Hey there! I am an engineering student looking to do a project on replacing spark plugs with high power lasers for internal combustion engines. The direct goal of the experiment is to see what effects it has on efficiency, specifically in wankle rotary engines.

I am looking for a high power diode for testing this, and am stumped with where I'd be able to find one for my testing purposes or how much power would be enough.

The laser would need to be able to fire 25-30 times per second at peak performance.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

It wont work/isn't reasonable for the following reasons
  1. Lasers are more expensive than spark plugs
  2. Lasers are very sensitive to heat
  3. The lens would very quickly get dirty, limiting the power to eventually 0
  4. If it ain't broke don't fix it?
Maybe do your project on something else? Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore everything I said in which case a high power 405nm laser is what you need but it probably won't ignite since gasoline is a clear(ish) liquid and the laser needs something with a solid color to absorb the light, heat up and eventually ignite. Another thing to consider is high power 445nm lasers as those are easier to find in higher powers than 405nm but the higher the wavelength the more sensitive to the color of the object you are trying to burn it is.

Last edited:
Laser pro tip: Dirty optics will ruin your laser.

The optics problem alone makes this impossible. There is no way to maintain an optically clear path into the cylinder.

Wow that was a polite correction, why the kid gloves today ?

Cyp you used to blast members for a mistake and throw out an insult along with neg rep, you had a level of insult based on the mistake, how did it go ?

Bone head, mega bone head, ultra bone head.....something like that ?

Chris/Alaskan kind of shut you down didn't he ?

Maxxed out a lot of rep but not yours, stole your thunder so to speak.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to pick a fight with me? Help the member here like an adult. You should be ashamed.

Why is it ok for discord to boot Chris and others they determine to be " rule breakers " but when LPF boots " rule breakers " it's wrong ?

Just exactly what is the complaint with LPF ?

I have no idea why you're blaming me for things I had no part in, or what any of this has to do with laser spark plugs, but I've had quite enough of this thread.

S1J4v.gif

kecked

Well it could work but would be stupid. He’s how. Use the laser to heat a sealed filament. Like a glow plug. Will work for diesel. Very dumb way to heat something. Now you could use the laser to aid catalysis of the exhaust to convert nox and Sox. Anyway you would do it it would not make much sense. One more way is to crack the fuel on last time on a platinum rhenium ring excited by the laser. Would work just fine without laser too.

Soo a certain violation of the KISS principle. Never stop thinking of ideas. 100000:1 ratio of good ones but you never do know when that one will come.

LSRFAQ

You were saying? See attached.,.

For the OP, a current review of laser spark plug research is:

Laser ignition - Spark plug development and application in reciprocating engines

Progress in Quantum Electronics

Volume 58, March 2018, Pages 1-32

Fiber delivered laser spark plugs are coming, many of the problems have been solved. Indy cars, F1, Drag Racing, Turboprop planes, Jet Engines, Rockets will get them first.

Engines that need precise spark timing much more then average road cars, ie fast race engines, benefit from the slightly better timing available.
The military has used diode laser based one shot ignitors with a booster coating for years for firing rockets and um, "other" explosives, but that is a different physics problem from making ignition plasma pulses in air-fuel mixtures.

Laser ignition has been shown to reduce the combustion time in the chamber leading to less knock and detonation, making the engine more efficient.

If the pulse duration and energy is set right, the window or fiber becomes self cleaning.

A direct diode does not produce enough electric field for plasma formation, but a simple DPSS laser driven by a diode with a passive Q-switch does.

Steve

Attachments

• laserplug.png
    laserplug.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Mr Roberts does it again.. .. From the title I thought this was going to be another 'I want a laser that will break windows' or we were being ''Rick-rolled'' ... who knew?/ :) ahh steve --duh.. +rep for you sir!

kecked

I STILL think it’s a stupid application.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should....

Last edited:
That is very interesting, Steve. I had no idea this was being done in military applications. I would have thought that the widow would get fouled at the very least using them this way. + REP.

I'm thinking utilizing fiber optics in some way.
Plus the end/lens might be able to be self "washed" as in blast furnace view ports and wood stove glass.

Actually in my wood stoves I need to clean the glass
at least once a week if I want to see the flames.

Jerry

Actually in my wood stoves I need to clean the glass
at least once a week if I want to see the flames.

Jerry
Bummer. My wood stove has an internal channel for the air intake on each side of the door and it washes across the glass. Keeps it very clean for several months.