Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Keeping a small dot over one mile distance

Here you go srow,

It took a whole 2 seconds to find the facts on the Coriolis effect and snipers.

It has major impact on long range gunners when their shells go many miles and they are shooting due North or South as the ground can be traveling at over 1000 MPH under them.

I have heard and seen it as I have 2 close relatives that have spent years in Africa, the Middle East and the Far East "cleaning up"

Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics - The Coriolis Effect | The Arms Guide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect#Bullets_at_high_velocity_through_the_atmosphere

Do Snipers Compensate for the Earth?s Rotation?: What the Coriolis effect means for hitting your target?and driving your car - Washington City Paper

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-way-of-the-sniper-20130228

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/18e8pa/why_would_a_sniper_need_to_account_for_the/

I haven't read/watched the link but the fact that your position on earth and direction you're shooting changes it's effect shows 2 things, #1 the earth is turning, #2 the Earth is round.

If firing facing north or south your impact point wont be left or right because the bullet is moving in the gun before it was fired along with the earth, that is its already moving with the earth like being in a moving car. BUT If firing facing east your impact point will be high if firing west it will be low.
It can be as much as 3-4 inches at 1000 yards depending how close you are to the equator.

Last edited:
This is also the reason the space launches launch to the east, they take advantage of the earths rotation, it takes more energy to send a spacecraft into orbit if you launched it to the west, or to send it into a polar orbit.

Alan

Last edited:

srow

Thanks Laser chick.

Here you go srow,

It took a whole 2 seconds to find the facts on the Coriolis effect and snipers.

Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics - The Coriolis Effect | The Arms Guide
From the above link I got this:-
What is most affected by Coriolis Effect is the horizontal component of the bullet trajectory. Because of the Coriolis effect, every moving object not connected to the ground is always deflected to right in the Northern Hemisphere, and always toward left in the Southern Hemisphere. The deflection is not east or west, but specifically to the right or left with reference to the shooting direction. It doesn’t matter in which direction you shoot; it is a function of latitude and average bullet speed. Its effect is maximum at the poles, and decreases as one moves toward the Equator, where is nothing. The explanation of this phenomenon is more difficult than the explanation of Eötvös Effect, so I won’t go into it into detail.
Do you see anything wrong in this explanation? It actually says "It doesn’t matter in which direction you shoot" OMG!!!!!!!!!!! "IT DOESN'T MATTER IN WHICH DIRECTION YOU SHOOT" How the hell can it NOT matter in which direction you shoot? Come on, this takes no explaining why this is so wrong.

It then says "Its effect is maximum at the poles, and decreases as one moves toward the Equator", WHAT! Is this for real? Does anybody actually agree with this?

Your second link says this
4. Horizontal deflection caused by the Coriolis effect is more esoteric but in theory easy to adjust for, since it’s a function of your distance from the equator. When possible, any shooter, whether professional or amateur, makes a few test shots on arriving at a new location and tweaks his or her sights accordingly. Mostly this is to correct for maladjustments due to jostling in transit and such, but it also compensates for the Coriolis effect.
So, according to this the coriolis effect is just a function of latitude. ERRRRRR what about direction???

You are looking at it out of context, it means the bullet will be separated from the earth when it leaves the barrel and the earth turns on it's axis from west to east as seen from space, that's why the sun comes up in the east and sets in the west.

It's the earth that turns, the sun only appears to rise, we are turning once per day and we travel around the sun once each year.

The tilt of the Earth as it turns on it's axis is what gives us our seasons.

Did you learn any of this in school, are you just trolling?

Last edited:

srow

Good Video RedCowboy but it's a pitty it's not talking about the Coriolis effect! He's talking about the Eotvos effect. How could they make this mistake? There were obviously several people involved in the video's production. Surely one of them would have known. Is this video a wind up? Are they taking the piss?

Also, he never said whether the targets were at the same altitude/elevation. He just said one was East and one was West. I would have been interested in hearing how he made sure the targets were on the same level. The targets would have been 2000 yards apart which would mean over that distance the curvature of the earth would have dropped by over 8 inches and the difference between the hits at each target was about 11 inches so how did he check the targets were both level?

They also get it wrong in another video they did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouOYAlcvwOQ They say that the effect is negated when firing North or South at 54 seconds. There is something very wrong with these people.

And NO, I didn't learn any of this at school and I'm not meaning to troll.

Last edited:

srow

Gabe, I can see the ground to the right of the screen but I lose it on the left.

srow

If firing facing north or south your impact point will be left or right. If firing facing east or west your impact point will rise or fall.

Now the closer you are to the north/south pole if facing north and firing at 1200 yards with the same 2800fps muzzle speed, that is all variables the same other than where you are on Earth, you will see much less than .5 minutes of deviation because your circular line of latitude has much less circumference and equates to less rotational distance per second.

Make sense srow?
Make sense? You are dead right!!!!! So you disagree with Laser girl's links then?

Gabe

Gabe, I can see the ground to the right of the screen but I lose it on the left.

Because that's where you look past the horizon and into space
EDIT: a helpful diagram

Last edited:

srow

Thanks Gabe :), I still can't see an exact curve from your dots but it is a pretty amazing photo from a plane to be able to see space.

Gabe

Thanks Gabe :), I still can't see an exact curve from your dots but it is a pretty amazing photo from a plane to be able to see space.

Yeah, I can understand that, the curve isn't all too prominent in that photo. But be notified, the reduced brightness of the photo makes it seem like the atmosphere is thinner than it really is. The plane is still well in the atmosphere during commercial flights. Anyways, back to the topic at hand. So it seems like a good option is one of the 120mW 520nm modules, driven at around 200-250mW, as if I recall correctly they're single mode so they have good divergence. Also a 200mW 532 module would be fine, but I don't know a good place to get one that's solid and won't go belly-up on you in the first month.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/osram-plp520

According to flat earth theory: You can see this pizza crust in the form of the Antarctic which has 200 foot high wall of ice entrapping all the oceans of the world.

Um no

The edge of the earth is a little further inland from the Antarctic ice wall which is in perpetual darkness and impenetrable violent storms. Before the times of captain Cook the Antarctic was out of bounds to everyone because of the extremely harsh conditions. Nowadays nobody is allowed near the Antarctic because the UN will basically warn you off or Kill you.

No there isn't anyone guarding the ends of the earth and there aren't these "impenetrable violent storms" either acting as a freakin boarder to the edge of the earth. Darkness yes that's called space. In case you didn't know already.

We have never been taught the true consequences of perspective. The laws of perspective explain how the sun and moon rise and fall on a flat earth. Samuel Rowbotham explains this with many diagrams and examples in his book and it takes a lot to get your head around but it makes sense.

While real scientists have actually left the planet to see for themselves. Yeah, beat that lol

The Coriolis effect! The direction in which water spins down a plug hole is dependent on the angle at which the water hits the hole and not it's location in the world. It is also supposed to affect a bullets trajectory but, conveniently is only noticeable at distances over 1Km. Who shoots targets at over 1Km to even verify this? There is also the Foucault pendulum which was used to convince people of the earth's rotation. The rotation of the pendulum was dependent on it's pivot ball joint and the angle at which the operator released it NOT anything to do with the Earth's rotation.

Again No. Just plain old No.

Reading comments from other users reminded me of this quote from the Matrix:
Yes, they will fight to protect their Globe earth as you can see from this thread!

The Matrix was a movie. Movies are fake. They are written by people and made by people. They aren't real.

Safety! I'm new to lasers and if it hadn't been for you lot I would have never known. The three lasers I previously purchased were over the net with no real warnings I can remember and I've already done some things that I wouldn't have done had I have known. I do quite a bit of welding and I know full well the dangers of looking at the arc. Ok, I'll have a look at the 100mW(less dangerous). Someone believing in something is no reason for them to be banned from owning a laser.

It's not that you believe the earth is flat... its because you have no idea about lasers and just learned that they can be dangerous. You don't know the full extent of their danger and that is why.

Laser Chick: I have a control in the place to verify my results. If I see the laser at the other side at 15mm elevation(confirming no arc) I will then place a 50mm thick float in the middle lake to mimic the arc to see if the dot is only visible above 150mm elevation.

As for the coriolis effect and snipers. Read this sniper manual and tell me where the coriolis effect is mentioned. https://archive.org/stream/milmanual-fmfm-1-3b-sniping-u.s.-marine-corps/fmfm_1-3b_sniping_u.s._marine_corps#page/n0/mode/2up

This video is so funny but does highlight the problems a sniper would encounter if he had to take the coriolis effect into account. https://youtu.be/95jPqnnfwoA When has anyone ever seen or heard of a sniper having to take into account which direction he is pointing in with a compass? I've never seen a sniper having to take out his compass to make corrections for the coriolis effect. And he wouldn't just need a compass, he would need to know what latitude he was at because every degree of latitude has a different surface velocity eg, the equator has the fastest surface velocity and the poles have the least. He would need some form of gadget to compute the corrections or a book of tables where he could look up the corrections, neither of which I have ever seen or heard about. Can anyone show me any proof that a sniper has to take into account the coriolis effect or show me the math involved?

And just how many snipers have you actually seen? Are you in the freakin army or do you just play a lot of Call of Duty?

Good Video RedCowboy but it's a pitty it's not talking about the Coriolis effect! He's talking about the Eotvos effect. How could they make this mistake? There were obviously several people involved in the video's production. Surely one of them would have known. Is this video a wind up? Are they taking the piss?

And NO, I didn't learn any of this at school and I'm not meaning to troll.

If you didn't learn that the earth was round in school then you never went to school. I'm guessing you were home schooled and apparently never left the house since birth.

I'm sorry but I can't believe that you are being sincere with all of this. Stop "trolling" this forum. Thank you.

Well, I do believe the "not wanting to discuss FE theory on here" has indeed not happened. :crackup:
The problem srow, is that you came onto a forum about lasers. Which deals with a specific science. Of which involves people who enjoy that science, other different aspects of science, and have a general trust in science and the people behind it. The FE theory, and a lot of the people who support it, pretty much crap on science, as they think A: the proven science behind RE is just a brainwash tactic. Or B: it is strictly against their religious believes (and in some extreme cases, say science is of the Devil, and scientists are devils themselves). So you were bound to get some heat about it.
BTW, I don't think srow is trying to troll, as other supporters of FE throw out the same arguments on their own site.

joeyss

Is it true the earth curves away at 6 miles so if you had a straight spot for miles the laser would hit the ground.