Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

kasio XJ-M140 projector

Re: Kasio XJ-M140 projector

just a heads up to all reading this thread and any other that may not be aware....

Admin & LPF sorta nearly got sued ( he had to hire a laywer) by Kasio for using their name- so it may be a good idea to dele the 'C' word if you have posted it- this is why you do not see very many using the 'C' word here-

all that happened afaik before some of you joined-- it was a 'cease and desist' letter that was not to be taken lightly.

I have also let the OP know to change his title- only a mod can change the header that appears above all posts but at least the OP will be changed and any more posts will also reflect that change.

this is no April fools day joke- we are asked to never use their name anywhere here at LPF..you can use Kasio if you want..

hak

Re: Casio XJ-M140 projector

Might want to change the thread title to Kasio.... We all know whet you mean.

Does the model number count as a threat as well as we all use it to identify the diode?

I'm still interested in this kasio projecktor.

I kould always sell the diodes, one by one, as my finanshul life varies.

I have read your offer, seems a bit low, if it doesnt sell, im off university in 3 weeks, then I will consider researching on how to extract diodes myself, and then keep like 4, and sell the rest at $30-$35ea since its not from a brand new out of the box projector, or sell all and buy some from dtr that are already in module with leads, since I dont know how difficult that will be, and I should practice with cheaper diodes first.

$30-35 would be the same price a diode out of a brand new projector. You would have better luck in the $25-30 range as you have never extracted diodes before and its a used projector.

alright, I was basing it on dtr's price which is $45 plus shipping for a brand new one, I guess ill try to sell them, if not then ill have a collection of 24 1W+ 445nm lasers eventually :D so this selling post should be deleted as I will try extracting them myself

alright, I was basing it on dtr's price which is $45 plus shipping for a brand new one, I guess ill try to sell them, if not then ill have a collection of 24 1W+ 445nm lasers eventually :D so this selling post should be deleted as I will try extracting them myself

There are very good tutorials on how to harvest... read up :beer:

Most important- is when you get the plate off the bottom (they hide one screw with round dot of paper) just ease the HS array out enough to aim it at the wall or ceiling- to run it and see if all the diodes are working the same you need to hold down the safety deal while doing this- its inside and that plate & holds it closed when in place-- you need to have eye ware on to see if all look to be working well-you should only run the array like this for a few seconds- the fan will not be cooling the HS at this point.

Once you remove the array, from that point on you should be wearing a ESD wrist band- I wear a rubber glove on the hand I use to touch the diodes. I try to keep the compound off my fingers and wipe them often

with exacto knife and tiny scissors( or nail clipper) you can clip away the ribbon from the diode pins-
I then GENTLY push them out(through) with a tooth pick.
I like to remove the pink thing that is on the pins but many leave it there.. its not easy to remove if much solder is still on the pins.
btw
If you come across any screws that have a head that cannot be removeeed with any screwdriver you have you can gently drill out the screw heads- when I do this I put blue painter tape over the heatsink and just make holes where my drill bit will hit the screw heads-- I place a strong magnet(two are found inside the lens covers of many Kasios) to attract and shavings from my drilling.

take great care to keep any of the thermal paste from getting on the diodes- especailly the windows- I wipe most of it away with a paper towel- your first harvest will take a lot of time- I can now do one in about an hour- while you can use your solder iron to remove the ribbon you MUST use it in a way that does NOT heat up the diodes.

I only use a solder sucker to clean up the pins after they are free from the heatsink and as I hold the diodes in my gloved fingertips I know it will not get hot- try hard also to keep from bending the pins- that is much better than trying to make them straight again.
I use plenty of light and the lighted magnifying glass on my jumbo helping hands.( found cheap at Harbor Freight Tools)--

I push the pins into anti- static black foam and then place that into an anti-static bag (faraday cage) some place a blob of solder in the pins and some wrap the pins with a small piece of foil- if you sell any be sure to include the pin-out and remind them that

1) all ESD precautions MUST be used when using these diodes and

2) they are not returnable--

I also highly recommend that first-timers should NOT be learning on expensive diodes-

they need to get free IR cans and practice both soldering the pins and pressing the diodes on those or at the least cheaper diodes-
I also let them know that under no circumstances should any diode EVER be powered up with out being in a heatsink-- and even with all this advice many will fail the first time-

by giving as much advice as possible your buyers will have less fails- and will not be coming as often to you for answers to their Qs. I keep all this printed up along with the pin-out.

in order to take the rest of the Kasio PJ apart (on the A series) they kinda hide one screw (IIRC) its close to the HS-& down inside. also without the right size phillips you can easily mess up the screw heads as many are petty tight and once you mess up the heads you will prolly need to drill those out. ( a PITA)another screw is hard to find near the optic train there is a greyish black plastic piece that you need to remove to see it.

as was mentioned above there are threads and posts here at LPF which cover all the above and more. Good luck-- hak

ps if you get stuck send me some pics and I will try to help.

Thank you so much, this has made my work so much easier, and since its my first time, I will first try removing a diode from a scrap dvd player, just as practice, since I have never actually held a diode before. Then since m140 diodes are quite expensive, a electronics store is selling a slightly used A130 projector for $225, I will checkout the hours on it and might try with that, since if I damage a few a130 I wont be as upset versus m140s, and the a130 can still be used for low power small builds where an m140 diode is not required, something at <1W is what I am guessing based on my research

KEWL__
the 130s sell easy at 20 to 25$ each- even several hundred hours of use in the PJ is not really a lot as 1) they are run at a VERY low current and 2) they are inside a very good heatsink and have a very powerful fan running on them at all times. AND $225 is a very good price btw. to see the hours go to 'menu' then 'operation info'. 1000 hours is still only 5% of the expected life span.

hope I have been of help-
if so,
you can thank me by sending the forum an occasional donation.