Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JetLasers 30mw 473nm

Re: JetLasers 30mw 473nm (power test up)

The point of a review is to have fun

S1J4v.gif

Last edited:

I feel like I couldn't get by without a DMM, I prefer to have two of them, sometimes this is useful. I use mine so much that the two I had just recently quit on me, one I had for at least 10 years and the other I had for a year or more, both were cheap Harbor Freight brand but worked fine while they lasted. After the second one quit I didn't want to wait long to get another so I looked while shopping at Walmart and found one equal or better (GE brand) I don't remember what it cost but it was under $20, few people need an expensive one, for most the cheapest will do.

Cyp go easy on him. The point of a review is to have fun and give an overview of the laser one bought, it's fine if it isn't 100% detailed ;)

-Alex

:crackup: Cyp is one of the 10 smartest members here on LPF. He and many others aren't here to talk about the weather or music videos or the latest celebrity gossip or wardrobe malfunction, :crackup: I know we have the other section for things like that. Some members here have extensive scientific and engineering knowledge so aren't here so much for fun but to discuss more serious topics. Some of them may have worked for the government or served in the military and had their sense of humor surgically removed, or been brainwashed by Marxists while in college, therefore many have no memory or understanding of what is fun anymore. Fortunately I didn't suffer this terrible fate. :crackup:
Posts can be made in an appropriate forum to post some info and photos about your new laser or post an unboxing thread for the laser or item that was just delivered. A review should be more detailed unless it's not in "Reviews". People should ask themselves questions that others will want to know the answers to, do some research, do tests and maybe an experiment or two, take plenty of photos of course, analyze your data and draw conclusions, then post.

It would be nice too if more people would take more time for some more detail on their build threads. There's nothing wrong with posting 2 photos of the laser you just built along with 2 beam shots but more people need to post more detail so others can learn from it.

Alan

I got very lucky on Greedbay ona fluke lab DMM_ they said untested but when made larger I could see the numbers -year later at a thrift shop i saw a small vynil case with 'fluke' on the side and for 25 cents I got the fluke temp probe!! and ac-dc wire all works well-

for very little i got an big assortment of wires/clips for DMMs- from ebay china-

you cant go wrong with a decent adjustable power supply- look for good ones as used on ebay- sometimes it takes months of searching- and of course a REAL ESD protected soldering station- brand name- like Hakk- some used ones have badly worn tips- they can be found cheap at greedbay-- I ordered several small size tips- the right solder and good kind flux & wire and you are on your way..

really nice wavelength iwant buy one some day too.

GR3EN

I will update this with more information either tonight if I have time or some time tomorrow.

A review is a critical evaluation of the manufacturers claims and general specifications of a device. If you have no equipment and no technical knowledge with which to evaluate the device, you are NOT the kind person the world needs to do reviews! Why do I even have to SAY that?

I've got nothing against fun. If you want to tell the world you bought a laser pointer and post a few pictures - great! This forum is the place to do it. But don't try to pass off a couple of photos and some half-assed commentary on how much you "like" something as a REVIEW. You're going to seriously disappoint some poor bastard searching for actual reviews.

XNt2nhU.gif

On top of all that, I always see several posts with something to the effect "great review!" ... well, consider my jimmies rustled.

PLEASE note, nothing in this post is aimed at this OP in particular. I just happen to think the quality of LPF reviews in general is deplorable. And to allow further decline in the interest of the "everyone is a winner, let's just have fun!" movement is a monstrous disservice to the community.
</rant>

Some members here have extensive scientific and engineering knowledge so aren't here so much for fun

Now wait a minute. Since when are these mutually exclusive? :confused:

SteveT

...I just happen to think the quality of LPF reviews in general is deplorable. And to allow further decline in the interest of the "everyone is a winner, let's just have fun!" movement is a monstrous disservice to the community.

Fair and valid point. A successful review in my opinion blends subjective content with objective input. When reading a review I like to see great pics of the assembly, choice of host, tools, workstation and of course photon output! The technical specs, parameters and tolerances are also important and a vital source of info for those members wishing to make a similar investment or pursue a similar project. Items such as lens choice make a difference...If you want to appraise the aesthetic qualities of the laser 'dot' people would like to know that for instance an NDG7475 coupled with a G2 will provide a rectangular dot with linear horizontal wings and a phantom square; opt for a 3 element lens then trade approx 15% output for a lower divergence and more aesthetically pleasing dot with less artefacts; the list goes on.

Nonetheless anyone that takes time out to share their thoughts on a new acquisition should be free and able to do so without prejudice... Let's however keep 'true' reviews to the designated section and subjective threads to the general, multimedia or wavelength specific sections :)

Last edited:

did i miss actual price paid on this ??
just wondering

GR3EN

just wondering

Price was $324 after coupon given to me directly from JL in the early emails leading up to purchase + shipping

Waiting for my new 26650 to charge and will hopefully post divergence spec tonight.

Last edited:

SteveT

Price was $324 after shipping.

Waiting for my new 26650 to charge and will hopefully post divergence spec tonight.

By the way a very nice laser you have there...I have a 532 Equality series and your write up is making me think twice about going for a PLE in this wavelength, + rep for sharing.

Last edited:

GR3EN

Some new things added. Will be working on this as days pass.

Now wait a minute. Since when are these mutually exclusive? :confused:

Ok I admit they aren't, scientists and engineers just take their work more seriously as they should, but they can still have fun and still have a sense of humor.

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
:crackup:

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
:crackup::crackup:

just wondering

More missing data.

Price was $324 after coupon given to me directly from JL in the early emails leading up to purchase + shipping

Thanks for that info, a little expensive but not a bad laser. +rep for the review.

Alan

Encap

Some new things added. Will be working on this as days pass.

From Test # 2 is looks like you got a solid 50mW 473nm.

82mW peak--nice!

Ask Gray at Jetlasers jetlasers@gmail.com how long a duty cycle is safe for the 473nm laser.

I would guess if a 900mW 532nm can do 5 minutes shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUChQ0gO5JI, your 473nm can do same or more minutes and it would not drop below 50mW. Would ask first before leaving it on for 5 or 10 minutes however.

GR3EN

From Test # 2 is looks like you got a solid 50mW 473nm.

82mW peak--nice!

Ask Gray at Jetlasers jetlasers@gmail.com how long a duty cycle is safe for the 473nm laser.

I would guess if a 900mW 532nm can do 5 minutes shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUChQ0gO5JI, your 473nm can do same or more minutes and it would not drop below 50mW. Would ask first before leaving it on for 5 or 10 minutes however.

In the emails leading up to the purchase it actually came up. This is what was said.

Thanks for your inquiry.
The working temperature is 20-25C and the main warm up for the 473nm is <1minutes at this temperature while it can be longer if the working temperature is lower.
Regarding the run time, it is 3mins on+, 1min off.

Thanks,
Gray

Regards,
Customer service

Still waiting on their power graph to see their results.

Cyp where the crap do you get all ghese gifs. Its darn near impressive!

Regardless of whether or not this constitutes as a review, thanks for at least sharing some pics with us :) It kinda sucks they didn't tell you there would be a 50mW version out soon, but not many companies do that.

Last edited:

gozert

+rep for the review. Looks like you put a good amount of time in making it as good as possible. I'm getting myself the 50mW version somewhere next week.

One question though. The photo of the dot, is it the dot that has a lot of splash or was it caused by the camera?

Edit: One more, what LPM are you using in the video? Looking to get myself one in the near future.

Last edited: