Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Jet Engine Test Run

dnar

A mate and I did a test run of a new jet engine today. This jet produces 10kg of thrust and runs on Kero. It includes an electric start with propane for pre-heating. It is fully micro-controlled (ECU) with PC diagnostics and digital R/C.

We measured the SPL @1M approx 114dB SPL (read loud). Here is a video of the test bench prior to a test run.

Fuel consumption at 125,000 RPM is just on 350ml/minute.

This whole setup is just over $4000, but a lot of noisy fun.

I will post more video of the jet starting and running to full song once it is edited down and trans-coded.

Attachments

lasersbee

Nice... too bad the engine didn't run in the Video...:cryyy:
What will it be mounted in...:thinking:

Jerry

dnar

Video coming, I have to edit it down from 600MB to post here...

It is going to be mounted in a replica Avrocar project, yet to be built.

HIMNL9

..... What will it be mounted in...:thinking:
Jerry
Uhm, just wondering ..... an A380 Airbus 1/10 scale RC model ?

(j/k ;) :D)

Edit: too late :p

EDIT2: Avrocar ? ..... you don't really mean a working VZ-9 Rc model, right ? .....:wtf:

Last edited:

3zuli

good luck on this project :beer:
hope it won't end like this :D

i wished i was there!!!! i love any kind of turbine engine...my friend has a turbine in his 50ft. cat. racing boat.. thats a cool setup u got there looks like lots of fun..

HIMNL9

That is the one. Yep, it was a failed project.
Well, at least the stabilization of that thing must be a decent nightmare, if made "handy" :p ..... or, maybe, with an electronic gyro and a MCU controlling the stabilization flaps, it can be solved in "semi-automatic" mode ..... it's an interesting project, anyway ..... as "ex-modeler", i'm curious to see if you reach to made it fly ;)

HIMNL9

Can i suggest you a thing ?

Put some type of "safety cutoff" strap from that table to somewhere in front of it, and the same thing in a hand of the person that hold the table ..... i may not be too happy to be around there, if he slip and the table start to fly around ..... ;p :D

Also, or you have earless neighbors (non-hearing, i mean), or very patient ones ..... LOOOOOUDY !! :D

lasersbee

Can i suggest you a thing ?

Put some type of "safety cutoff" strap from that table to somewhere in front of it, and the same thing in a hand of the person that hold the table ..... i may not be too happy to be around there, if he slip and the table start to fly around ..... ;p :D

Also, or you have earless neighbors (non-hearing, i mean), or very patient ones ..... LOOOOOUDY !! :D
That won't help me hear the sound in the videos....:whistle::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry

HIMNL9

That won't help me hear the sound in the videos....:whistle::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Jerry
Trust me, it's loudy ..... :p :D

Seriously, what player are you using ? ..... i'm using VLC, and i hear the audio on all the 3 videos, so perhaps it's not a problem from the video itself .....

Some wrong setting in your player ? ..... or some other program that is intercepting or blocking the audio output ?

Gryphon

^ same here, VLC media player is producing audio in these vids

I like how in the second vid, you can see the table settle back down when its throttled back :crackup:

Last edited:
That thing is awesome!! It looks a bit like what was used here to cross the English Channel:

Last edited: