Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is your adobe acrobat reader patched?

is your adobe acrobat reader < 9.1.3

• yes

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • no

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • not applicable -- i don't use adobe

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
information technology security is the main focus of my job and i just wanted to warn you guys about several critical vulnerabilities in adobe acrobat reader.

if you are using adobe reader < 9.1.3 it is likely possible to get malware on your machine by simply viewing a webpage. if u have an old version of adobe consider upgrading, or using another PDF viewing program like cool pdf reader or foxit reader.

not only is adobe bloated (hundreds of MB in size), but it has a history of poor security. at one point several patched release in a row all had security vulns of their own. Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) LOL

Adobe flash also has some serious vulns that an estimated 80% of the net are vulnerable too:

Nearly 80% Of Users Vulnerable To Adobe Flash Attack - DarkReading

more articles:

Adobe Launches Its Own 'Patch Tuesday' - DarkReading

(Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.1, 8.1.4, 7.1.1, and earlier versions) are vulnerable to remote exploit by simply viewing a webpage.

recommendations:

don't use adobe, a PDF reader shouldn't need its own Product Incident Response Team and be hundreds of MB in size....
Adobe Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) LOL

if u use adobe (reader of flash) make sure its the latest ver.

consider alternative PDF viewing program

another article to top it off:

Adobe Criticized for Shipping Insecure Reader Version - Installer available from the official download website is two versions behind - Softpedia

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
ps my vote goes for not applicable i dont use adobe...

Thanks for the heads up C0ld , all users who use these programs should be running these patches or use a different reader which does not have those vulnerabilities.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
to check ur version go to the help-> about menu in the program (i think thats it but i dont know of top of my head sincei dont use the program lol)

HIMNL9

What's "adobe acrobat reader" ? ..... i only know foxit reader ..... :D

ZRTMWA

How do I tell what I use, I know we have adobe but its not acrobat its just reader and I'm not sure if we are even using that. What does this program do? Let you view internet pages?

How do I tell what I use, I know we have adobe but its not acrobat its just reader and I'm not sure if we are even using that. What does this program do? Let you view internet pages?

LOL YES. I got acrobat reader and dont care what else exists :D

Hey c0ld.. thanks for the heads-up...

Just downloaded Foxit Reader for FREE... works great...
and a PDF Creator license is only $29.00.... A lot cheaper than Adobe
cost me...:cool:

Jerry

Jaseth

Thanks c0ld this is very nice to know.. I haven't bothered updating mine for some time but I will follow your advice instead and get rid of adobe.

Seb

I dont' know what you just said. Answer anyone?

He is saying that he doesn't care that Adobe Acrobat could download
malware onto his computer..... probably because he got it for "free"...:wtf::thinking::whistle::eek:

@ZRTMWA... Adobe Acrobat Reader... is used to open and read .PDF files....

Jerry

ZRTMWA

I know I have adobe 7, so its vulnerable. i don't know if we use it to read pdf's though.

I use foxit reader, which loads much faster than Adobe

I assume I need not worry