Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my laser lens dirty?

I don't know if my lens is dirty, the beam is straight but there is a 'X' at the dot
3874B3DF-7ACB-433E-B22B-ABFF00637126-2975-0000010DAEEEA7D8.jpg

20FBD1CD-C6AD-4866-8AAC-749D229ECCDA-2975-0000010E772C03B5.jpg

I had used the search the forums. But non of them had experienced mine. So guys any comments? And how to clean it?

Last edited:

As far as that "X" pattern is concerned, I'm not as knowledgeable as some on beam patterns. It could just be dirty.

To clean, don't take it apart. Use some canned air to blow air (not by mouth) down on the lens. If more cleaning is needed use rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip, or other small applicator.

As far as that "X" pattern is concerned, I'm not as knowledgeable as some on beam patterns. It could just be dirty.

To clean, don't take it apart. Use some canned air to blow air (not by mouth) down on the lens. If more cleaning is needed use rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip, or other small applicator.

I've done using air pump and q tips with alcohol and the 'X' is gone. The dot seems to be brighter. But I still see a bit, just a bit of galaxy haze around the dot. I cleaned the lens afew times and it is still there. I dont know why it is not gone yet. Mine is the cni laser pen

It could be reflections from the cavity. I don't have mine right now, but I want to look at it just so see if I have anything similar going on. I'll edit this post once I get home.

Did you clean both sides of the lens? You should try the q tip with a tiny bit of alcohol on the diode face too, this can cause splashing also. Just make sure not to push down too hard on the diode face when cleaning it, you dont need to apply a lot of pressure when doing this ;)

Last edited:
It could be reflections from the cavity. I don't have mine right now, but I want to look at it just so see if I have anything similar going on. I'll edit this post once I get home.

Pardon me for being noob. What is reflections from the cavity? Mind explaining?

Did you clean both sides of the lens? You should try the q tip with a tiny bit of alcohol on the diode face too, this can cause splashing also. Just make sure not to push down too hard on the diode face when cleaning it, you dont need to apply a lot of pressure when doing this ;)

I cleaned it with alcohol but im not sure if it cause the splash. After I used alcohol and q tip, I used another q tip to with it again. Btw I didn't open up. I just put the q tip through the aperture. I think what I cleaned is an IR filter lens.
I don't seem to be able to take a picture because now the dot is too bright for my iPhone, when I take a picture you guys won't see a splash but just a dot

I don't seem to be able to take a picture because now the dot is too bright for my iPhone, when I take a picture you guys won't see a splash but just a dot

Sounds like that did the trick & your problem is solved :D

:beer:

Sounds like that did the trick & your problem is solved :D

:beer:

Nono! There is still a splash. But it's not as bad as the picture before cleaning. I don't seem to be able to clean it off. The galaxy effect splash is still around the dot. Just that you won't be able to see it if I take a picture because the dot it too bright

Sorry bro... I got my lasers out last night and forgot to take the picture for you. Dang destracting shiny lights!

I'm assuming you're talking about a 'halo', so to speak, around the area where your dot is pointed. I was thinking that it might have been caused by reflections from the cylinder, just after the final lens. I don't know deep your lens is mounted from the front face of your laser.

It could also still be dirty from the other side of the lens, but if you've never taken it apart it is highly unlikely. If anything, I would leave it together if it has always been kept intact.

Sorry bro... I got my lasers out last night and forgot to take the picture for you. Dang destracting shiny lights!

I'm assuming you're talking about a 'halo', so to speak, around the area where your dot is pointed. I was thinking that it might have been caused by reflections from the cylinder, just after the final lens. I don't know deep your lens is mounted from the front face of your laser.

It could also still be dirty from the other side of the lens, but if you've never taken it apart it is highly unlikely. If anything, I would leave it together if it has always been kept intact.

Not a halo. It is not a circle but a galaxy effect around the dot. Like there is dust particles in the lens but I have cleaned it and there should not be any dust particles

could be micro scratches on the lens from the q-tip. i have the same thing goin on so i got the lenspen micro comin in the mail saturday. I absolutely HATE dot splash. It drives me up the fricken wall.

could be micro scratches on the lens from the q-tip. i have the same thing goin on so i got the lenspen micro comin in the mail saturday. I absolutely HATE dot splash. It drives me up the fricken wall.

Me too. I notice that the dot splash is around the dot but there is a halo around the splash? WTF?

7D761343-2B41-484E-A794-E0E0AE370D1A-2678-0000013F6D1A6EF6_zpsc7e515e9.jpg

the splash you see is most likely residue from the alcohol not being pure. It happens when you dont use high quality or lab grade cleaning solutions and it could even be dust from the q-tip. Just ignore it. I really dont think you can really get the entire splash totally gone. Trust me, ive tried and it drives me nuts too!

Anyway man glad to see that the x problem is no longer a problem.

yeah ive tried to clean my lense so much it drove me crazy...i dont think anyone has i spotless lense...