Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it just me...ISP problem?

I use Mediacom Cable internet.
Currently there are very few website that are actually working for me. Everything else is slow...outside of LPF..LOL
Youtube will not load
Facebook will not load.
DinoDirect will not load.

I went to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test to do some test connections to servers around the USA and so far I am only able to connect to about 25% of the ones tested so far. It ends up failing while trying to do a ping test.

Is this just me, or is everyone having issues right now?

EDIT: So far on (speedtest.net) everything east of Indiana wont connect

Last edited:

Mine is working fine...

What browser??

have you done the obvious, Virus scan, Spyware check, clear cache, dump cookies, reset parameters??

Unplug your modem and let it reset.

Good luck!

Mine is working fine...

What browser??

have you done the obvious, Virus scan, Spyware check, clear cache, dump cookies, reset parameters??

Unplug your modem and let it reset.

Good luck!

I have done all of that.

Both Opera and IE are acting the same way.
With opera, I get a Could not locate remote server error
With IE, I get a Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage error

This is driving me crazy. This happened last week too for about 24 hours.

I don't pay $50 a month to have INTERNET service that only works some of the time.

Last edited:

roosl

Yeah, sounds to me like your ISP is having problems. Maybe ask your neighbors if they're experiencing the same?

roosl

:wtf: is with that avatar, Nefarious? Weird. It looks like Nick Nolte had a sex change and got pissed off. LOL

Mesmerizing effect, tho!

The joys of Mediacrap... I don't miss their crappy service at all. It does sound like something is wrong on their side.

The joys of Mediacrap... I don't miss their crappy service at all. It does sound like something is wrong on their side.

That's what I was thinking. :( It's my only cable service option where I live.

They were my only choice when I lived in Georgia. Hopefully I won't have to deal with them again. I'd say there was at least one outage a month average. They lasted anywhere from a few hours to over a day.

They were my only choice when I lived in Georgia. Hopefully I won't have to deal with them again. I'd say there was at least one outage a month average. They lasted anywhere from a few hours to over a day.

Trust me...nothing has changed

Trevor

Sounds like one of their DNS servers exploded, or a backbone went down near you.

Have you tried bypassing their DNS and using a root DNS server?

-Trevor

In all honesty, I don't know how to do what you are asking. It currently is working fine.....but it's not very fast. 3Mb down .5Mb up

Trevor

Are you still having trouble getting to certain websites? Changing your DNS server is the fix for this - not for low speed. I'd be happy to explain if you're still having trouble certain places. :)

-Trevor

All websites are working ok....However, this does seem to happen about once a week or so. If you wouldn't mind explaining how to do this...that would be great. :)

Trevor

Okay, this DNS server should be geographically fairly close to you, so we'll use this one:

PHP:

If you're using XP, here's a quick walkthrough on changing your DNS settings:

How to Change Your DNS Settings

And here's one for Vista:

Change TCP/IP settings

You'll want to use IPv4.

If your ISP's DNS server (inevitably?) crashes or becomes nonresponsive, this will allow you to bypass it and use a much more robust root DNS server. A map and list of other root DNS servers can be found here:

Root Server Technical Operations Assn

Hope that helps!

(...and if it doesn't, drop me a line! :) )

-Trevor