Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Investment Opportunity Advice Needed

diachi

ok, thanks for the info. You might have to explain some of the technicalities, because im not exactly a laser expert. I was really into them for a while, but I got side tracked building a tesla coil. haha, I only own one laser unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me to buy lasers, since they are very expensive. What are galvos and a PCAOM?

PCAOM=Poly Chromatic accousto optical modulator. It's a means of optically modulating a laser beam ( generally we modulate lasers using electron means, IE turning on and off the laser diode ) but with gas lasers and some DPSS (diode pumped solid state ) lasers this isn't possible since A) the modulation is too slow B) the modulation isn't linear enough or C) the PSU or laser just isn't capable of modulation.

Galvos are essentially just motors with closed loops feedback. They turn in very precise motions ( they do not turn in 360 degree motions ) they have mirrors attached to the ends to direct the laser beams on the X and Y axes and do this quickly enough to form images.

Hope that helped a little :p

You should never invest in something you don't understand. That's just gambling, and you'll probably lose.

In this case it's not an investment so much as a garage sale purchase. You can't get hurt on this due to the fact that the 10-year old parts are still worth more than you are paying. The PCAOM, galvos, any other optics and beam-steering mechanics are worth much more than $2-300.

Yeah, I was gonna say the optics can't be worthless, they should go over what you're paying.

I guess you could just buy it and resell it here.

all right thanks for the feedback and info. I will probably buy it. My next question is: is anyone interested, if so, I would need a deposit (to show that you ARE genuinely interested, and going to follow through), the rest of the payment could be made in person, or via postage.

My goal is to make enough on the resell to buy a good pen sized laser. I want a 532nm 200mW or higher power one. So I am going to call the comapny and get an estimate b4 i decide on a price, but feel free to message me offers. :)

I have wanted a good laser with burning ability for years. The only one I have was bought on ebay out of ignorance "sigh" and sucks, supposedly 100mW, but has horrible beam divergence and poor quality. It won't maintain a solid beam, and wont even get close to burning anything or even getting it warm for that matter. SO... The floor is open for offers! message me if u want to bid!

Sorry! forgot to mention, there are several program tapes that they said come with it, I think they are ADAT. I think there are 4 or 5. Will let u know when I find out for sure

Last edited:
if so, I would need a deposit

First you've gotta buy it and show the members what you've got. You can't sell something you don't know what it has inside for just $800.

Also, I think you should lurk the forums a bit more before starting to look for a green pen, you will find that you can get a great deal (the power you want for even less than what you're buying that laser projector).

I certainly wouldn't expect someone to buy it w/out seeing pics or knowing more first. I was just letting everyone know that it's an option. As for the laser I was wanting. Where in the forum might one look? The only way to aquire a burning green laser pen that I am aware of is on wicked, dragon, CNI, and a few other sites. They are all priced about the same. $300 and up if I want anything higher than 100mW. I would prefer higher than 200mW, but my budget would prefer something less than 200 dollars. :) I'm starting college and it's expensive if u know what i mean.. haha

Diachi: so the galvos all move to create the images. If that's the case, what is the purpose of the PCAOM. I understand from what you said that it turns the laser on and off very quickly via a light (or optic) signal. Does this simply help the laser to create different images, similar to the way holograms are created?

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't expect someone to buy it w/out seeing pics or knowing more first. I was just letting everyone know that it's an option. As for the laser I was wanting. Where in the forum might one look? The only way to aquire a burning green laser pen that I am aware of is on wicked, dragon, CNI, and a few other sites. They are all priced about the same. $300 and up if I want anything higher than 100mW. I would prefer higher than 200mW, but my budget would prefer something less than 200 dollars. I'm starting college and it's expensive if u know what i mean.. haha

Please, just look around the forum. Read the FAQ and go to the Review section where you'll see the "Review Recopilation" thread (stickied) where you can start to look for more options. I tell you can get a 150mW or 200mW laser for less than $300.00

I'm from Argentina (starting college again tomorrow, all colleges got suspended for 1 month because of all the "swine flu" hysteria) and believe me, it's even harder to pay for one here, conversion rates are killers, y'know ;)

You'll find the answer to what you asked Diachi also here, you just need to search (I'm not sending you 100,000 meters deep into the ocean, they're really easy to get).

Alright, point taken. I guess I can take the initiative to look around some :) thanks for the info

The PCOAM is needed to turn the laser off, otherwise while drawing images or multiple beams, everything would be connected. It's like trying to write/draw without lifting your pencil.

Get more details, post plenty of pics but I am more than certain you will be able to make money off this purchase.

alright, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I will post pics soon. Should have them up by this weekend at the latest. Nikokapo, the reviews page is VERY useful, so thanks for telling me!

Nikokapo, the reviews page is VERY useful, so thanks for telling me!

Thank you ;)!

Couldn't have done it without the help of all members, we hope to make the list bigger!

It's already very impressive, but once all the review spots are filled, you will have people registering for this forum like crazy just to read the reviews! Also, *caution to those with ADHD, side note ahead* :) If anybody knows a superb green laser pointer builder, please PM me their contact info. Much thanks to the forum.

About the PCAOM.. the term poly-chromatic means multi-color basically. More than just turn the laser beam off and on, it selects combinations of colors (from the red, green, and blue necessary to create a full spectrum) and rejects the rest, thereby controlling color mixing. This allows for full-spectrum color mixing and in most cases up to 16.7 million possible colors.

Last edited:
In this case it's not an investment so much as a garage sale purchase. You can't get hurt on this due to the fact that the 10-year old parts are still worth more than you are paying. The PCAOM, galvos, any other optics and beam-steering mechanics are worth much more than $2-300.
Still, he doesn't want the stuff for himself, but for resale. That's speculation by anyones definition. And the "worth more" depends on the market - I wouldn't take the stuff for free.

There are people here in this forum who might be interested - I'd say the best thing would be to contact them, give them an overview of what's available (in itself already difficult if you don't speak the language) and ask whether they might be interested in anything, and for how much, without any commitment. That'd give you something to work with.

Nova lasers have great units up to 150 mw i own 2 they rock one is a 95 mw puts out 105 the other is a 100 puts out 121

If you are so inclined, you could get a green module from o-like.com who are a reliable supplier to many LPF members. I just got 2 x 150mW and 1 x 100mW modules and made them into green handhelds. O-like have a 200mW green module for $135 USD, but not always in stock.They give their rated power and do burn things. Beware of the DX 200mW green module, it is too new and too cheap to trust. Wait for a member here with a laser power meter to review these new DX modules. Another alternative is the o-like red burning laser, 200mW for less than $50 USD. You don't need to spend $300 USD to get a burner. Or, look for a member here who is selling a laser, many people here will help you. Try a "Want to Buy" posting. Your old lightshow system sounds like an awesome source of DIY parts ...