Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Indigo Imperator - A 6500 mW 450nm Optical Corrected Monster With Thorlabs 3x BE

BobMc

Simply stunning! :gj:

Something to be “oh so proud of”

There’s some real beautiful workmanship there. That is a work of art there! :drool:

+reps

Last edited:

Why didn't you answer my PM giving you my address and a 2nd day air label to ship to me?

Too nice for Alaskan's? If you ever want to part with it, just let me know, not sure i would want to afford it though :p

Yes.....being alone....well....mmmm....I recently had a " Alone " nite....as my wife had to help a friend with a Medical test....overnight....Although....I initially looked forward to it...." AH...yes....chance to work on Laser projects.....sans guilt "....Well....it was so odd...I just could not get motivated to do Jack Sh$t...Very odd !! Marriage is....well....not perfect.....but....I guess.....good....for me anyway.

Anyway....This project was a Hoot.....as every project has been with MK....Many, many technical challenges....Some bad luck.....some good luck....but....in the end....a beautiful unit is born !!

MK is 100% dedicated to perfection........I may be 90%....but, he is 100%....and it shows threw !!!!

A good thing is that we now have a kinda " General Plan "....that will "Cross-Over"
to future builds.

Congratulations MK.....you have established yet another " High Water " mark.

I predict...you will grow tired....of things that "Go Boom".....soon enough.....and will return for another " Dip of cool water from the Photonic Well "

Thanx all !

CDBEAM

Just Gorgeous, awesome work as always.. those OPT cylinders are great, no? One question, I saw the pic of what you called the 'probe' mounted atop the diode module, which I assumed was a thermocouple for a temp readout, but I see no temp display and I can't figure out what the probe is for.. so I'm curious to find out what it is, or perhaps more likely, what I missed in your post that explains what it is and will make me look silly for not seeing it :)

Last edited:
LOL, the probe is a very small and simple sensor that come together the 8A blackbuck driver.
If connected, it checks the temperature near the diode: if it reach a certain amount, the driver cut off
the current and allow the heatsink to cool. It is a nice diode protection.
It is not necessary to connect the probe, but highly recommended.

By the way, Alaskan asked about the divergence after the OPT corrective optics: CDBEAM777 measured about 0.45 mRad, but only if the lenses are placed at the correct distance one from the other.
The Thorlabs 3x beam expander further reduce the divergence to 0.15 mrad!.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got such good correction with those Cyl lenses. I have a pair myself just waiting for me to finish other projects and put them together with my NUBM44. Could you give specifics on where the lenses work best, or did you already do that in the OP?

Wow, Roberto. For that diode, that is outstanding divergence, excellent! I don't believe anyone has tamed it so well before.

It's worth doing, lots of fun and much better power concentration for your enjoyment.

I found that when using the affordable sanwu 3X I need to use the sanwu G2 as it's grind is slightly different, I demonstrated that in a couple videos a while back comparing G2's, but in all cases I have been using the LSP 6X cyl pair as well. ( Both G2's are good for cutting as a stand alone on the desktop. )

The good quality BE used in the Indigo Imperator is great and I like the look and I bet easy manipulation of the larger opt 6X cyls, anyway if anyone wants to enjoy the power concentration of that intense orange glow ( seen through laser safety glasses ) that does work off of the desktop using the affordable sanwu 3X, then I suggest using the sanwu G2, otherwise the print simply would not fit the BE, amazing what a small lens difference can make down train.

Last edited:
I have many different aspheric lenses. Many are a bit different from the others. I would guess there are at least 5 different lenses. I don't know which will work best in a build until I try them all. I don't believe I have a Sanwu one though. I expect that one of the ones I have will work for this.

I attempted several times to use a DTR G2 primary on a 44 diode with a 6X Cyl pair ( LSP ) and I could never get the 3XBE to work with the corrected beam, it is exactly as if the BE input lens was way over expanding the incoming beam. But with the same set up only a Sanwu G2 it fits, and focuses to a tight burning/cutting point at 20 feet with a lot more precision and intensity than any lens and the 3X alone.

Last edited:
WOW!! Your build leaves me speechless! Please don’t burn the neighbor’s cat a couple blocks away. :crackup: you guys have raised the bar to stellar levels and demonstrate the level of expertise and artistry possible from members of this incredible list. Thanks for sharing your hard work and passion with us. Take Care.

-cd

To found the better distance from the two corrective optics I applied the well-knowed method TRY AND ERROR.
First of all I firmly glue the first lens, then I begin to move backward/forward the other lens and observe the dot shape against a wall at least at a distance
of 10 meters.
When I found a decent (but not perfect) dot shape I mark with a felt tip pen the lens position, then I remove the lens and put under it a small drop of glue.
It is important to use a slow hardening glue, so I have all the time needed to found the correct lens position.
I put back the lens inside the lens holder at the markers and start again to move it back/forth, but with infinitesimal movements: every 1/10 of mm can change the dot shape a lot.
When I found the best dot shape obtainable I simply wait that the glue harden.
These lenses works well with blue and azure diode, but I think it works also with the Oclaro red diodes.
I think CDBEAM has tested this lenses with all the diodes :beer:

Thorland BE is pricey but has a "sliding lens" system, so when I rotate the focusing ring, the lens doesn't rotate, but it moves back/forth remaining in the same position. This is a much more precise system compared to the traditional "rotating system" lens. For example, if You have a laser with a not parallel-to-the-host output beam, when rotating the lens the dot also start to rotate and do not keep the same position. With "sliding lens" system this does not happen.

I mounted an extra converging lens to bring near the minimum focal point to the BE, but this is can be useful also if the input beam dimension exceed the maximum tolerance allowed by the BE lens input.
It is possible also to mount a second lens, so the input beam can be parallelized (the minimum focusing point will not change, but the input beam will be thinner).
I love the Thorlabs BE because it is modular, You can add everything you want, before and after :p

Last edited:
That's really nice, I have noticed at longer distances that the least little thread slack in a BE can skew the spot, a quick nudge will correct it but the thorlabs rock solid sliding lens sounds great.

I use UV hardening glue and a 385nm flashlight to set my 6X Cyl lenses, I center my G2's output at 15 feet then center the concave cyl then center the convex cyl and get the beam set just so, granted everything must be in 3D alignment or the spot will be skewed, so I apply the UV glue and it stays wet and moveable until I have it all just right, then I cure it hot and running.

It's just a lot of fun to cut matchsticks in half at distance as if they were on the table top, that's what a laser is supposed to do in my opinion.

---edit---

I have been using UV604 but UV701 looks good as well, they do vary so be sure to read.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRL-UV604-...455882&hash=item4d2e61ea92:g:G28AAOSwe-FU6Ffl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UV701-Low-...246802&hash=item3cf4cbab00:g:WT4AAOSwQPlV8urt

Last edited:
@Minamoto

I bought a cyl lens trio awhile ago at an auction on eBay. I have these in addition to the Opt 6X lenses. The trio has an extra convex lens that is 90 degrees out from the other convex lens and goes in between the two lenses. Have you seen these and what, if anything, do you know about them?

I was attempting to make a quick video showing how much more concentrated the 6X corrected beam is at it's focused point, but this is just 15 feet, I will need to get further away to show the true brightness differential of the focused spots. ( Seen through safety glasses. )

Both are 44 diodes at 4.5a, one on the left with a G7+3XBE the one on the right with a G2+6Xcyl+3XBE

At longer distance you can see the corrected beam makes the really bright spot, here you can see it lights paper with a pretty quick pop.

As always appropriate laser safety glasses are worn and fire suppression equipment is at the ready.

Last edited: