Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ilegal to Sell Class 4 Lasers?

I am starting to believe, that if you can't make one, you shouldn't be buying one... :/

About The full body scanners. You heard what Adam Savage did with the 12" steel razor blades, right?

Only sell with fully expendable cadaver hands to wear for eye protection. It's hard to see through the hands, but much safer than no protection at all. :eg:

I am starting to believe, that if you can't make one, you shouldn't be buying one... :/

About The full body scanners. You heard what Adam Savage did with the 12" steel razor blades, right?

No. What did he do?

Benm

Oh and just an afterthought, by leaving one wire not soldered or requiring your end use to install a simple component shows intent to side step the FDA requirements if an issue with your laser comes to their attention.

This is exactly what we used to do to sell FM transmitters to pirate stations here in holland. It would be illegal to supply functional equipment for those, but not to supply components of any nature.

Leaving one resistor that had to be soldered in place by the end user effectively circumvented legislation that made selling completely functional gear illegal.

Legislation varies by country obiously, but in some cases the requirement to install a single component or bridge a solder joint can be the difference between selling a legal 'kit' and an illegal 'applicance' - no matter how trivial that component is.

My last laser has a good loophole ;)
The original flashlight is mostly unaltered.
The diode, module, pcb connection, driver, etc. are all in a self contained separate piece.
Sell that piece and tell them where to buy the host.
The thing basically works the same as a p-60 drop in ^_^
I have not sold a complete laser, nor the components to build one.
Screwing the FDA FTW!
*Thank you, thank you*
Please, hold your applause, just throw money.

I'm sure that'd still get your rear in a load of trouble.

IsaacT

Hahahaha, Toaster that is epic :crackup: "What the fuck TSA!"

Didn't take long for those scanners to FAIL
Thanks for posting that Toaster!

JLSE

Didn't take long for those scanners to FAIL
Thanks for posting that Toaster!

Perhaps the TSA employee's had a brief flash of
memory as to the kind of 'supplies' Adam has
access to on a daily basis, and let it slide out
of fear or respect :thinking:

I doubt it. Either they missed it because they were lazy, or the scanners didn't penetrate the case they were in. Either way, I think the scanners are BS. Let's all radiate ourselves so we can be safe?

People will do anything if the government tells them its good for them. Damn sheep.

Oh please, you should know better. I bet you hide from your desk lamp because of all the "dangerous radiation".

Oh please, you should know better. I bet you hide from your desk lamp because of all the "dangerous radiation".

Lol, so are you trying to tell me that you think a desk lamp uses the same amount of radiation as an X-ray? Yes, light generally contains small amounts of radiation, but an X-ray contains large amounts of radiation. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someday down the road we suddenly start seeing an increase of cancer in people who travel regularly due to all of the radiation we expose them to.

You ever notice whenever you get an X-ray taken at the dentist or the hospital that everyone else evacuates the room, and you are given a Lead Vest? There's a reason for all of that, and it's not just cause a lead vest looks cool.

A lead vest does look pretty cool though.
I read a few weeks ago that another country (it was in Vietnam or Korea or something) had made a similar scanner that reads the radio wave interference so there is no harmful radiation from the scanner.
Leave it to the easterners to protect their people better than the westerners.....

I believe Adam said the blades were in his laptop case. Those went through the other X-ray machine. It was probably at that point where some one around there said "you're Adam Savage from Mythbusters" and the agent looked up and missed doing a complete visual scan of the image. They're human but as an organization they are worthless and expensive. They have proven no more effective than the private security prior to 9/11. If they were around at that time the standards would have been the same and the TSA would be replaced by something else shortly after 9/11.

@WLHostage: I think you need to review your statement: "Yes, light generally contains small amounts of radiation, but an X-ray contains large amounts of radiation.", for errors. It's not quite right.

I believe Adam said the blades were in his laptop case. Those went through the other X-ray machine. It was probably at that point where some one around there said "you're Adam Savage from Mythbusters" and the agent looked up and missed doing a complete visual scan of the image. They're human but as an organization they are worthless and expensive. They have proven no more effective than the private security prior to 9/11. If they were around at that time the standards would have been the same and the TSA would be replaced by something else shortly after 9/11.

@WLHostage: I think you need to review your statement: "Yes, light generally contains small amounts of radiation, but an X-ray contains large amounts of radiation.", for errors. It's not quite right.

Oh wow. inb4 batte of semantics, lolol.

Are the FDA regs civil or criminal? If the liability you face is mostly the risk of civil fines or civil lawsuits what you really have to ask is "What do I have to lose?".

If you are college kid living in a dorm, are you not a great target for lawsuit because you have no assets. If you own your own house, and have a nice BMW then you are attractive target.

Interstate civil lawsuits are expensive, and unless they lawyer can see a award of at least $10,000 they are probably no gonna bother. If they sue someone with no assets, they can't collect.

I've been sued 2-3 times (not for lasers), and none of plaintiffs got even $0.10 from me.

Regulatory agencies generally use Cease and Desist orders or consent decrees. Easier to send a builder a C&D then to try and apply civil fines.