Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ilegal to Sell Class 4 Lasers?

I was going to make a laser for someone, and I don't expect it, but is it possible for him to sue me, if somehow he messes something up with it?

Thanks

you can get sued for anything, whether the case has merrit is another issue. but i would see some liability on your part. anything over 5mw has to have all the fda stuff and time delay and blah blah.

michael.

JLSE

You could always move to Canada...
We dont sue others for our own stupidity.

Its just not polite :D

IsaacT

You don't sue others, eh? Well its a' boot time someone stopped suin people, eh?

jk jk....my suggestion Toaster, is to only sell to be people who are responsible....think of it as your gift to society. Providing just anyone with a Class IV laser should be a Class IV Misdemeanor. Make sure that they are atleast somewhat responsible.

JLSE

You don't sue others, eh? Well its a' boot time someone stopped suin people, eh?

jk jk....my suggestion Toaster, is to only sell to be people who are responsible....think of it as your gift to society. Providing just anyone with a Class IV laser should be a Class IV Misdemeanor. Make sure that they are atleast somewhat responsible.

bob-and-doug-mackenzie.jpg

jib77

Maybe make it so they have to put at least a piece together(like soldering one wire, etc) ... that way you are not selling a completed laser, just a "kit". Not sure It would remove all liability but at least technically you wouldn't be selling a class IV laser.

Would a lens into the focusing ring, or a pill into a host. Be ok? Damn lol

I know you won't do this but this is the correct method for selling lasers in the United States:

Laser Products and Instruments

Records and Reporting (Radiation-Emitting Products)

Getting a Radiation Emitting Product to Market

Important Information for Laser Pointer Manufacturers

If somebody does something stupid with your laser and the local constabulary identifies you as the source of the laser, the FDA will come down on you. They will make you return any monies for any laser you have sold, recover all the lasers you have sold, and slap you with a fine.

Of course not having any registration documentation with any submitted testing documentation or required operating instructions and no required safety components (many more required for Class 4), and willfully operating in violation of Federal regulations will only help seal your fate in a civil suit if one is brought against you. The "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard is not applicable in a civil suit

There is no federal law against building your own lasers. As soon as you make a transaction, for any or no consideration, however, you become a manufacturer and are subject to all the regulations governing radiation emitting devices. It's as simple as that, no way around it.

Oh and just an afterthought, by leaving one wire not soldered or requiring your end use to install a simple component shows intent to side step the FDA requirements if an issue with your laser comes to their attention.

Last edited:
Damn, I am really considering telling him I can't do it. He was going to buy an Arctic and I told it what crap and that I could build a better one.

What do I tell him now. Hmmm Any suggestions?

Build the LD connected to the Driver in the Aixiz and tellhim to buy the host and H/Sink himself, All he has to do then is to solder 1 wire to the host and jobs a guddun :/

Build the LD connected to the Driver in the Aixiz and tellhim to buy the host and H/Sink himself, All he has to do then is to solder 1 wire to the host and jobs a guddun :/

I think this may still pertain to what frothychimp said in the last paragraph of his post

I think this may still pertain to what frothychimp said in the last paragraph of his post

True, but buying the host himself would be 1 step further away. But as it's a ehgemus host this wont be possible :)

I think I am going to just hope for the best, Ha he doesnt know my name. To him, I am "So an so's cousin"