Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here

You know what, forget I said anything. Let's start over and see if we can figure this thing out. Obviously there's a difference between our Arctics. I tried re-focusing the Arctic's lens and did manage to get a more concentrated dot at around 2 feet and it burned much more quickly, however, it was at the expense of the beam at longer distances. At about 30 feet, the "dot" projected by the laser was about a foot across. The best overall focus settings were what was set at the factory, but with those settings I'm back to square one as far as output seems to go. In browsing these forums, it seems like a mixed bag with the Arctic, with some measuring the Arctic's output at above 1W to somewhere below 1W. Again, I think this speaks to Wicked's quality control that we should have such disparate results, high failure rates, etc.

In trying to keep with the thread topic, I have not received my G1 Arctic yet (ordered 06-24-10). I will post when I do.

I will not try to defend WL's quality control but someone please tell me how they are to control the output level of a laser diode they don't manufacture in a mass produced host? What are they supposed to do, throw away underspec Arctic lasers?

It has been said that they use the Casio diode. I bought a Casio diode and built my own DIY 445nm laser using a flexdrive v4 set at it's max (1100ma) using a single 18560 battery and the aixiz 445nm lens. I only got 760mw on my Laserbee LPM. Should I be complaining to Casio for their terrible quality control? I think not. It is what it is when you use a product in a way the manufacture never intended.

In trying to keep with the thread topic, I have not received my G1 Arctic yet (ordered 06-24-10). I will post when I do.

I will not try to defend WL's quality control but someone please tell me how they are to control the output level of a laser diode they don't manufacture in a mass produced host? What are they supposed to do, throw away underspec Arctic lasers?

It has been said that they use the Casio diode. I bought a Casio diode and built my own DIY 445nm laser using a flexdrive v4 set at it's max (1100ma) using a single 18560 battery and the aixiz 445nm lens. I only got 760mw on my Laserbee LPM. Should I be complaining to Casio for their terrible quality control? I think not. It is what it is when you use a product in a way the manufacture never intended.

I can't speak to any of your points with any authority, except to offer an opinion. I don't think it's out of line for a manufacturer to expect consistency in products they source from other manufacturers. In the case of the Casio diode, I can envision a process whereby Casio can reject substandard diodes before the ship to customers like Wicked. Or maybe the customers themselves do this. Maybe this sort of variance is the norm with laser diodes. Maybe it is a problem with Casio, or Wicked, don't know, but you make a valid point either way. As for using it as not intended, I'm not really sure what the intended use is, except to say that Wicked says their Arctic has "the most burning capabilities".

Last edited:
Someone on facebook got their G2, here's the link:

Fan photos from Wicked Lasers | Facebook
40578_1514811864338_1055688733_31376113_2563616_n.jpg

so I really hope mine comes today :drool:

Last edited:
Talk about taking a pill! I was not attacking you, why the name calling?

What I am getting frustrated with is these "Arctics are crap" comments, particularly when posted after watching your video. Obviously, your vid was lacking basic info. I didn't think it was a fair comparison and I wanted to demonstrate the difference between the Arctic you have and mine.

I'm sure the Spartan is a fine machine, if you like it, fine. If you tweak it to get under 2 sec, please post another video.

I'm sorry your Arctic died, I'd be unhappy too. That's why I'm running mine hard and long, before the warranty runs out (insert wisecrack about WL warranty here). I believe they will eventually cover the defective ones, if their history is a guide.

I got 30 minutes (barely) out of the OEM battery, and over 45 twice out of a Tenergy protected 2600 (with plenty left to go). You don't have to believe me. I'm curious as whether the Spartan will stay cool enough that long.

As a burner the Spartan may be a better built unit, time will tell, but not because it's faster or more powerful.

I wouldn't take things too seriously at all.

There appears to be a lot of anti-fan-boy noise about the Arctics.

By that I mean, a small minority of people who take any opportunity to have a go at Wicked Lasers, because of a personal agenda.

I almost feel like an advocate of theirs making this point, but I'm not trying to defend them at all. It's just really annoying to hear all this highly exaggerated nonsense that makes me go and check my own Arctic, only to find that yes indeed it does still perform perfectly.

I just find it laughable at how some people make such emotive and strong statements without a single fact to back up their points.

How many Arctic owners have complained on this site alone?

The number comes to somewhere in the single figures the last time I checked.

Then ask yourself, how many Arctics were sold?

Probably thousands.

Overall, what percentage do you think have shown faults?

The fact is that people generally don't tend to make the effort to appraise a product they are happy with. Usually only when things dramatically deviate, good or bad, from expectations when people feel compelled to shout about it. So, generally we only about hear the worst and best cases.

Therefore, a reasonable assumption is that thousands were sold and a few have displayed faults. Also, of those listed on this forum, most are inconclusive as to whether or not batteries, charger, or user error could have been to blame.

So, every time I see a post slamming the Arctic by someone who hasn't got one, or simply hasn't matured enough to realise that not everything in this world is perfect regardless of brand/reputation, I can't help rolling eyes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take things too seriously at all.

There appears to be a lot of anti-fan-boy noise about the Arctics.

By that I mean, a small minority of people who take any opportunity to have a go at Wicked Lasers, because of a personal agenda.

I almost feel like an advocate of theirs making this point, but I'm not trying to defend them at all. It's just really annoying to hear all this highly exaggerated nonsense that makes me go and check my own Arctic, only to find that yes indeed it does still perform perfectly.

I just find it laughable at how some people make such emotive and strong statements without a single fact to back up their points.

Probably thousands.

Overall, what percentage do you think have shown faults?

The fact is that people generally don't tend to make the effort to appraise a product they are happy with. Usually only when things dramatically deviate, good or bad, from expectations when people feel compelled to shout about it. So, generally we only about hear the worst and best cases.

Therefore, a reasonable assumption is that thousands were sold and a few have displayed faults. Also, of those listed on this forum, most are inconclusive as to whether or not batteries, charger, or user error could have been to blame.

So, every time I see a post slamming the Arctic by someone who hasn't got one, or simply hasn't matured enough to realise that not everything in this world is perfect regardless of brand/reputation, I can't help rolling eyes.

Well here is another one that died, blow hard.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/w...-iii-small-review-overview-mikeeey-54816.html

How many more have to die before you stop waving your WL flag? The thing is a POS, period.

ppctx

What's the title of this thread again? was it " If you hate WL and/or Arctics, please post" no, no, I don’t think that's it. Maybe it was "If you don’t own an Arctics, please post" that cant be it. Oh, Oh, Oh! I just read the title "If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here" that's the title.

Thank you, please driver thru.. Nobody wants to argue about it any longer. Get on with your love or hate of 445nm beams somewhere else.

:gun:
What's the title of this thread again? was it " If you hate WL and/or Arctics, please post" no, no, I don’t think that's it. Maybe it was "If you don’t own an Arctics, please post" that cant be it. Oh, Oh, Oh! I just read the title "If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here" that's the title.

Thank you, please driver thru.. Nobody wants to argue about it any longer. Get on with your love or hate of 445nm beams somewhere else.

:horse: :gun:

Ash

Probably thousands.
Sure thousands were sold. But, how many have actually been received? I think it is less than ~200.
A more realistic question would be: How many LPF members received their arctics, and out of those, how many have reportd problems? :thinking:
I think even if it is only ~10% failure rate, it still proves that Wicked's QC is absolute shit, and their Arctic (in general) is poorly-made. :cryyy: