Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I want 2 build a truly powerful laser system!

Toke

So much win i can't contain myself :crackup:

Did you make these?

The internet have this wonderful service for those occations when you want to subtly suggest that certain types of individuals got look for themself.

It is called lmgtfy.com, and after you type in some search terms it will provide a forum friendly link, recording the search action, for you to put in a post.

The effect can be improved significantly by naming the link in your post as something less revealing than "let me google that for you".

So, no I did not really "Make" them, at least not as in some fancy programming skills. :)

Gappa

like I said really sorry for asking what you guys consider really stupid questions. I have been combing through the stickies and sometimes it's hard to find exactly what I am looking for.
How much power does it take to cut steel? I know it makes a difference how thick it is and what type of steel?

Ash

...edit...
How much power does it take to cut steel? I know it makes a difference how thick it is and what type of steel?
Laser cut steel

But, in case you are too lazy to click and read, I'll just tell you.
It takes at least a 2000 Watt CO2 laser to cut thick steel.

It is called lmgtfy.com, and after you type in some search terms it will provide a forum friendly link, recording the search action, for you to put in a post.

Very nice, i'll have to try that

If you want to cut steel, just get a plasma cutter. It's going to be much easier on the wallet.

But since you've so far failed to catch the (not so subtle) hints on searching before asking yet, i'm starting catch the scent of troll.

Last edited:
just by asking the questions you are asking means you don't have the knowledge or skill level to complete said build..... get a sf-aw 6x, get a radio shack prject box. get the 5dollars worth of parts to make a ddl driver, get the aixiz 4 dollar module and build a pointer man. if you cant do that, you are not building anything higher powered for sure.

thread can be closed now, LoL

Gappa

I could buy a generic 100w co2 tube off ebay for about a grand and hook up a neon light transformer and window washer pump to circulate to circulate water thru the cooling jacket. Then get one of those ktp thingys so we can see the beam.
All I would have to do then is figure out how to mount the transformer and cooling system in a backpack and the tube inside some PVC. Now that's how you build a pointer.

Toke

That is absolutely right.
All you need is like $1000 and straitening out a few little practical details about getting it to ignite and not killing yourself with the high voltage.

Do post burning shots. :)

I could buy a generic 100w co2 tube off ebay for about a grand and hook up a neon light transformer and window washer pump to circulate to circulate water thru the cooling jacket. Then get one of those ktp thingys so we can see the beam.
All I would have to do then is figure out how to mount the transformer and cooling system in a backpack and the tube inside some PVC. Now that's how you build a pointer.

um just a "ktp" thingy is not all that you need. there is a set of crystals inside of a dpss laser.

i have never called anybody a troll before... BUT, YOU SIR ARE A TROLL

MICHAEL

Nonlinear crystals used in Diode-Pumped Solid State lasers, or DPSS lasers for short. In a typical green setup, the 808nm laser diode emits 808nm laser radiation. This hits the Nd:YVO4 and causes the YVO4 crystal to lase, most notably at 1064nm. This 1064nm laser then goes through a KTP crystal which does some quantum magic that results in 2 1064nm photons creating 1 532nm photon.

Whenever you have a question, go to Google and type in the main words of the question, along with Sam's Laser FAQ. You'll end up with the answer. If that doesn't work, try the google search box at the top-left corner of this page. When that doesn't work, you're pretty safe to ask a question without being told to "search, n00b"

JLSE

LOL, that was pretty funny... Maybe build an f-14 to get you to the hardware store :crackup:

Im all for the enthusiasm, but seriously, you need to do some reading, maybe return in a few months. :whistle:

Gappa

you all know I am kidding with that one right... I am starting to think I would be better served by like you said building a few simple handheld pointers to get the hang of things first before I try to start WW3 in my backyard.lol

Last edited:

Quit stealing my ideas!

All you need for a CO2 (not a long life CO2, this is ghetto fabulous style) is a windshield washer pump, spark plug wires, an empty 2L bottle of coke, some 1/4" ID tubing, two CRT monitors, and a 12v -> 120V power inverter (rated for 10X your tube's wattage. Ex. 10W tube = 100W inverter, 100W tube = 1000W inverter)

You might need more CRT monitors for a tube larger than 20W, but I successfully had one running off of a 300W power inverter in my car.

I have a 40W tube here that will someday be built into a portable laser, too much 445 drama and CNC crap has me distracted...

Oh, you got the KTP part wrong. AFAIK there is no way to make a CO2 visible, though there are optics to combine the CO2 beam with a red beam for targeting / whatever.

I will say it again : who could have ever imagined months or even years ago that this would be possible to achieve with a consumer projector beamer,... Thanks for sharing your incredible videos Pontiacg5 ! So thanks to people like pontiacg5, jayrob, yobresal and other respectable gentlemans on this forum the laser hobby has never been so exited like the last months.:lasergun: