Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I want 2 build a truly powerful laser system!

Gappa

Not like the THEL or the ABLaser, but something truly diabolical. I looked into the 100watt tubes on plans&kits on Ebay but they are very large setups. And something like 15 1watt 445nm diodes an arrangement all focused down sounds cheasy. SO what else out there a noob could figure out?

well, the most power you will easily get from a handheld will probably be a few watts of IR.
I've seen a video of a 4W argon laser that looked impressive. was pretty big though.

What's wrong with 15 diodes focused on the same spot? How do You think they are using all the lasers trying to achieve nuclear fusion. Multiple beams hit a single target.

Coherent:

Just go with the 808nm wavelength. Search ebay for "808 nm laser diode". You will be surprised with how much power you will find there... and for such a low price!

What's wrong with 15 diodes focused on the same spot? How do You think they are using all the lasers trying to achieve nuclear fusion. Multiple beams hit a single target.

Coherent:

I'm kind of curios what the OP has in mind to do with 15W of 445...

And Coherent. If what I can remember reading on the subject is accurate, the beams aren't actually focused on the same spot. They're focused on different spots on the same target without overlapping.

If there weren't issues with destructive interference causing problems when combining similar beams, people wouldn't have to 'knife edge' multiple beams together to get a higher powered one.

If I'm correct the lasers are used to both heat & compress the target. The magnetic field contains and provides some degree of compression, but most is achieved by the lasers. I am not sure how they are aligned onto the target, and there could be some offset between the beams. With so many laser focused onto such a small target I'm not sure how they can avoid at least some overlap, but I'm not a particle physicist. just a wise ass.

Coherent::thinking:

If I'm correct the lasers are used to both heat & compress the target. The magnetic field contains and provides some degree of compression, but most is achieved by the lasers. I am not sure how they are aligned onto the target, and there could be some offset between the beams. With so many laser focused onto such a small target I'm not sure how they can avoid at least some overlap, but I'm not a particle physicist. just a wise ass.

Coherent::thinking:

the beams dont touch
p12.jpg

Gappa

well what does any mature hobbyist do with their toys?? burn stuff..?? play with the cat..?? shoot it into the sky.. JK
I have done many builds from jetskis to RC cars to GSXR powered go karts etc etc.
This is just a new hobby I am slowly taking a liking to. I always wanted to get into lasers..
I would like a beam I can see without night vision or IR cameras. Maybe green? Any high power tubes in green?

daguin

I just read all of the threads that the OP posted. We either have a VERY naive individual or a troll here.

Peace,
dave

Gappa

what do you mean bro? I am just new to this stuff and trying to learn about it. man you would think some of the senior guys would would try to help a new guy get his bearings. Forgive me if I am asking what you would call really stupid questions.

daguin

what do you mean bro? I am just new to this stuff and trying to learn about it. man you would think some of the senior guys would would try to help a new guy get his bearings. Forgive me if I am asking what you would call really stupid questions.

You are too easily offended. AND you put words into my mouth that were never there.

If it is that you are naive (and not a troll), then the members here need to adjust thier information to suit your experience level.

Since when was it an insult to be recognized as a NooB?

Peace,
dave

I just read all of the threads that the OP posted. We either have a VERY naive individual or a troll here.

Peace,
dave

I agree .....
He's been here 3 days and has opened 5 Threads...
and some asking to be spoon fed info that is easily
found with some common sense research...
(or perhaps it's someone that we already know...:whistle:)

Jerry

Last edited:
Since when was it an insult to be recognized as a NooB?

Peace,
dave

Most people don't like the hit to the ego that comes with being shown they don't really know anything. Not saying that's the case here, but you asked when it was an insult.

Gappa, what is your definition of 'see the beam?' What kind of lighting conditions? The power it takes to see the beam varies a lot depending on both the wavelength of the laser, and the ambient light conditions.

In a dark room with smoke, even a few mw will be plainly visible, for instance.

To the OP; just do a little reading on this site and all will be revealed. There are so many visible beams on this forum that you can't miss them.

Gappa

By visible I did mean below the IR wavelength. I did have a GCP-2 a few years ago which was a rifle mounted Mil-spec ground commanders pointer, focusable @100mw, it was IR and the beam was spectacular with my night vision goggles.
But building something, I would like a visible wavelength.
Daguin, I was never angry or insulted and Milli, I have done searches but it's sometimes hard to find what you are looking for having to sift thru tons of posts.

Most people don't like the hit to the ego that comes with being shown they don't really know anything. Not saying that's the case here, but you asked when it was an insult.

That's the problem with Daguin. Even as a mod he still puts you down while being a saint towards others.