Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need someone with a power meter

Hey guys,

Monday I'm ordering a very expensive laser that I would like to have it third party power output verified. I trust the company it's coming from, I just want to have a more specific power reading to show peaks and averages.

I'll go into more details about what this is when I do the review.

I'm located in Lawton, Ok (about an hour south of OKC). I would like to do this in person, I don't have the patience for mailing and wold like to avoid it if it's at all possible. If there's anyone within about 150 miles of Lawton, would you be interested in meeting up to take a meter reading on what will be a rather unique laser?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ZRTMWA

Brewcitymusic used to offer to do it for free as long as you paid shipping. He hasn't logged on in a week so you might have to wait to get in contact with him. He's in Lake Geneva, WI.

Well you got quite a few of us willing... but looks like shipping your laser is the only option thus far.

I'm over nearby f22 also. Not quite 150miles, google maps says ~200miles if you wanna stop by here (you know, just in case you're on your way to the Wal Mart in Dallas or something and wanted to visit along the way =P).

pseudo, f22, do either of you have a thermal meter?

I'm going to be in the Dallas area in February on vacation, so it would be really easy to hook something up. I've kinda gotten a deal worked out, but I need to do this on a thermal meter.

Thanks!

Yes they are both thermal meters..... Mine is a laser bee 1W with graphing and his is a really nice coherent expensive thermal laser power meter that might as well been gold pated for the price they charge for those things : )

How much power are we talking here also?

Yeah good question f22. What type of power/wavelength are we talking about in general? I'm assuming you need power, not energy testing? My primary meter is Coherent Fieldmax II TO with their PM3 sensor - good for logging charts for some of the lasers I used to sell. That one is relatively broadband, but it only intended for power measurements up to ~3W (and not for energy).

I'm going to be getting some readings on wavelengths that Jerry (Lasersbee) doesn't have data for and sending him the data so that he can provide calibration factors for wavelengths other than 405, 532 and 650. I'll have the stated power charts from the manufacturer and he and I would like to get the power of my lasers read on a thermal unit. This will allow me to provide him with his data, and will allow me to independently third-party verify the power output of my lasers.

I'm not entirely sure what data Jerry will want, but he specifically stated that he needed the lasers tested on a thermal unit. I imagine he'll give me some more specifics when the time gets closer.

OH, and it'll be like 50mW at most.

Pseudo, I'm really interested in that Coherent. From what I understand, they're the crown jewels of the laser measuring world, right?

I'm going to be getting some readings on wavelengths that Jerry (Lasersbee) doesn't have data for and sending him the data so that he can provide calibration factors for wavelengths other than 405, 532 and 650. I'll have the stated power charts from the manufacturer and he and I would like to get the power of my lasers read on a thermal unit. This will allow me to provide him with his data, and will allow me to independently third-party verify the power output of my lasers.

I'm not entirely sure what data Jerry will want, but he specifically stated that he needed the lasers tested on a thermal unit. I imagine he'll give me some more specifics when the time gets closer.

OH, and it'll be like 50mW at most.

Pseudo, I'm really interested in that Coherent. From what I understand, they're the crown jewels of the laser measuring world, right?

For determining a scale factor for different wavelengths I would go with the coherent as they are one of the best .... If carter is unable to help you out at the time I would be willing to but you’re best bet would be carter as his will be more accurate than mine .... not by much though as mine is only 40mw off at the upper region of 1 watt : ) which is pretty impressive for something 1/10 the cost : ) ...... also if you chose carter it would be cool if I could come along to as I would love to see different color wave lengths .... Maybe I even throw in a laser show :p

Michael

For determining a scale factor for different wavelengths I would go with the coherent as they are one of the best .... If carter is unable to help you out at the time I would be willing to but you’re best bet would be carter as his will be more accurate than mine .... not by much though as mine is only 40mw off at the upper region of 1 watt : ) which is pretty impressive for something 1/10 the cost : ) ...... also if you chose carter it would be cool if I could come along to as I would love to see different color wave lengths .... Maybe I even throw in a laser show :p

Michael

Hell yes! :)

Edit- if you're coming, you may as well bring the Lasersbee meter too. More numbers from more sources would always be better and I rekon would help Jerry get more accurate calibration figures. I would also LOVE to see 500mW of green. :D

Last edited:

That's their reputation at least! Haha. Honestly, I bought a Coherent for testing what I sold because the name commanded the most respect.

Coherent is a pain in the a** though! heh. Sure they price their meters like the crown jewels, but I've gotten better customer service from people selling me dirt*. Not to mention I, personally, haven't really liked the quality of their measuring products. I've heard of many an inaccurate lasercheck, and while I can trust the measurements from my thermal setup, the meter only likes to cooperate when... well... when IT likes to cooperate. I'm at its mercy! (from time to time it refuses to turn on till you cut all power from it, including the battery, and even then it sometimes demands an animal sacrifice)

* - in fact it was a 50lb bag of sand I had shipped to me... long story

** - ss
;-)