Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I have a Spyder 3, I won it

Just deleted my cache sorry! Looked VERY heavy duty though, definately sharp looking, WL has that down

No beam shots thoughs, ughh I'm jealous, quick sellit :)

Why wouldn't they want you to post pics? It's free advertisement for them. Hmm...I guess that I don't get it. Could you send me the pics in a pm?

Might anyone be able to give me safety tips for using these lasers...Must I wear goggles when I use one? What type of goggles? The lasers seem pretty dangerous...

Also, I got all these instructions with my battery. Do I have to pay attention to when a battery drops below a certain voltage even if I have a auto-charger and not a DIY charger? (my charger is from Powerizer)

How do i check a battery's voltage before charging? The instructions seem to be warning me a lot about that.

How do i set voltage?? There are no buttons on the charger

BASICALLY
I just want to know how to handle a laser without dying.

Thanks

^Don't worry, that laser should'nt be lethal.. Goggles never hurt, but you'll be fine making sure that the beam doesn't enter your eyeball or anyone else's eyeball. Don't worry about the batteries, Wicked is just trying to cover their ass because sometimes people complain about their lasers being too weak when in reality their batteries were slightly discharged. The laser will tell you when it's time for a recharge.

Last edited:

Jaseth

You will definately want to wear goggles when using this indoors. If you are being very careful and only pointing at the sky outdoors there is no need for goggles but anywhere with possible beam reflections occuring you should protect your eyes, especially if you are burning. Get certified goggles. The cost of a new set of eyes which will only bring black and white vision with large pixels is a few hundred million dollars so paying $30-$80 for a good pair of goggles rather than some cheap ones is a good investment.
You want ones with red colour lenses which block green (532nm)

As far as I know the voltage dropping is not harmful in any way and you should simply recharge the batteries when they run out.. if the charger is made for those batteries or simply compatible with them then it should automatically recharge to the correct voltage. You might want to double check with someone else but I have never had to do anything else with my batteries than popping them in the charger when they run out, waiting until the LED turns green on the charger and then putting them back in my laser.

To be honest I wasn't that crash hot about the look. It kind of looked awkward, too many angles and strangely curved bits.

If your battery is unprotected you shouldn't let it drop below 2.8v.. If you do, it may not take a charge again. Under rare circumstances they can explode if they're undercharged or overcharged a lot. Never leave a lithium battery charging unattended. To test the voltage you'll need a multimeter or a voltmeter, or you can simply recharge it any time you've used it for an hour or so. I wouldn't worry too much about it, realistically the worst thing that can happen is the battery will no longer accept a charge.. Though yeah, don't leave lithium batteries charging unattended.

As for laser safety, to protect your eyes from a laser of that power you'd need goggles rated for 532nm light, with at least an OD (optical density) of 2, preferably OD3 if you intend to take a direct hit to the eyes. Without goggles, it's fairly safe as long as you're not pointing at any (even partially) reflective surfaces... If you're just pointing it into the sky, goggles aren't needed. If you're trying to burn things or are waving it around your room, you should invest in something like this: 400-532nm Hobby and Education Protective Eyewear [NOR-AL2-00000H-700] - $47.93

Okay, this laser still hasn't hit the stores..and I still have it collecting dust in it's case. Is anyone willing to buy it from me? OR can someone point me in the direction of someone who is willing to the heavy cash for it?

ZRTMWA

You probably shouldn't have brought back a dead thread. Try posting this in the Buy/Sell/Trade Section of LPF. It will get much more attention there anyway.

How much do you want from it. Does it have problems? I'm a little wary considering WL isn't even selling it yet

I don't know if they're selling it yet, but their page says it's in stock now...
Green Laser Pointer from Wicked Lasers - Spyder III Pro

Anyways, how much do you want for it? Keep in mind, it's only worth 1/10th to 1/5th of what WL is charging for it, and people on this forum don't generally have a good opinion of WL, since their lasers are always less powerful than advertised, and at least double the price they should be.
(also, again, this would be better off posted on the buy/sell/trade forum)