Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I have a HUGE dilemma!

Ok, only you laser guys will understand this one. When I ask my friends the answer is pretty clear lol.

SO Today I finally got my LG 6x BD burner. When I ordered it, my intentions were to rip it apart and join the 6x club. Now that I have it here I am having some issues. About a month and a half ago I bought a brand new 42" 1080p plasma TV. My only source of HD content is through comcast or from my computer via HDMI since I don't have a standalone Blu-Ray player. Now I am really considering actually using this drive as it was intended (what am I thinking?) and watching/burning discs in HD with it.

What should I do?!

Switch

You can always use it if you think you'll regret it, and then buy another later....You won't be having second thoughts if you have 2 of them....

I say rip it,

you can download (shh) movies

but you'd be obliged to buy blu-ray movies now.

I agree, use it for its intended purpose for a little while. Then when you get bored with it, tear it up!

daguin

Enjoy one of the other uses of lasers. Watch movies. It will give you something to talk about with non-laser-enthusiasts. Wait a little while. Save up for another DVD burner. Then tear IT up. ;)

For me it's a "duh" type of question. Convert it to a laser while 6x Blu-Ray is actually something very special. In a few months BR will go very cheap just like CDs and DVDs - THEN do it.

Make sure you're computer savvy and have loads of bandwidth ;)

Functionally -

Movies: Do not NEED lasers to be watched

Lasers: NEED lasers to be lasers

No brainer.

Ace82

What is the major significance of watching HD blu-ray over regular DVD? If you feel that blu-ray movies are THAT much better then regular, then keep it as intended. But, if you really don't care too much and are fine with regular DVD's, then 405nm Laser pointer coming up! Plus, it will be portable, and you can shine that beautiful violet light around all day in lieu of simply watching movies. I know what I would do. ::)

I say use it for what it was intended.

For some time

after BR prices' go down then u can buy a pc BR burner and rip it apart :)

JLSE

I received my 6x two days ago, and contemplated the same points. I don’t have cable as I find regular TV to be a waste of time. I download 60+ gigs per month (average) of documentaries, movies new and old, TV shows worth watching etc. Now when I opened my LG 6x box and saw the 25 gig disk it came with, I was really tempted to install it to my PC. But all of what I watch goes directly from my server PC to my TV screen via S-Video connection. I used to convert and burn all my downloads to DVD, but it’s just a waste of time. For me viewing all my movies directly from hard drive is best. Many people now are seeding torrents from bluray discs in their entirety. If you spend the money for a decent HD graphics card, and run it directly from your PC you eliminate the need for discs and burners. That’s how I justify the slaughter of my 6x anyway...

iewed

I say use it for movies, 1080p Blu-Ray....*Drool*. I've seen unconverted 1080i on a 100" 720p/1080i projector and it made movies better. The picture and sound quality is amazing, you won't regret it. Then if you can find a busted 6X or when the prices go down, rip it apart and have fun lazing.

Switch

In my opinion , it's clear that you want both, but you don't know which one.But you don't have to settle for just one.Just decide which one you want first.Do you want the laser right now , or is it better to have HD movies right now and laser later? :p
I guess I'd just keep it as it is mainly because if you rip it appart , you can't go back, so if you don't rip it there's less risk of regret. ::)