Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I hate the term "1 watt"

ped

Coool!

I am busy time traveling at the moment, I'll PM you for PayPal details last week.

quantum.jpg

Ive just seen you!

No but back on topic...i cant see the problem...but then i may be just more laid back than you.

There are far more important things to worry about in life.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

ROTFLMAO !!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

(on the other side, hey, i want one of these cars, too ..... great, when you have 2 appointments, and time just for one ..... :p :D)

Technically these diodes fallow more along the characteristics of 2w diodes. If the manufacturer denotes them as 2 watt diodes that the optimal life output is about ~.7 of that, 1.4w. These diodes have been proven to be able to produce over 1.8 watts of optical power. Whether or not the driver can supply the juice or the host can provide adequate cooling is another issue.

I can't see how the "n00bs" calling them 1w diodes would bother you. Since when have they been right about things like this? That's why they're "new" to the hobby. It's not a bad thing. They don't know any better. If Wicked tells them they're 1w then why would they question it?

So should Toyota stop saying that the Camry has 160 horsepower since the engine only makes that amount of power at like 6krpm, 100mph? For city driving it's less than half of that! The nerve of those assholes! ... sounds pretty stupid IMO.

No offense to you, but ever since the 445nm diodes came out there has been a flood of two kinds of threads. There have been many new threads made by newcomers asking about the diode, that's obvious, but there have also been many threads made by senior members bitching about the newcomers. WTF do you care??? All I read now on this board is people complaining about You Tube hacks, and Kipkay. WTF does it matter to you???

So kid in Wisconsin blinds his right eye, or gets arrested for shining it at a plane... how is that YOUR problem? If you ask me that is shitty parenting and nothing else. Oh right, the government will make them illegal. Well, they're already illegal... I can't understand why the hell all the arctics are getting through customs.

I don't mean to offend any of you but it seems like people here just like complaining about things. Let it go... It's not your problem. Don't let insignificant shit bother you.

-Tony

Being the "professionals that we are, we should be using " joule". So I'll be posting my 2 joule Power supply soon. I had a minor problem that I will sort out tomorrow.

I'm tired of reading about the "1 watt" lasers. rarely are they ever 1 watt

michael

1 Watt was a generic name given to the Casio 445nm LDs when initial
testing showed we can run them at or around the then "1 watt barrier"
[EDIT]
for inexpensive visible Laser Diodes.

(WL picked up on that and came out with the 1 Watt Arctic)

It was easier to call them 1 Watt Lasers when they used a Casio
445nm LD.
The reason that some Lasers do not output 1 Watt is due to the
LD Driver and heat sinking...
It is not due to the under heat sunk LD or the Power Rating of the
LD ( we know these LD will run higher than 1 Watt)

Jerry

Last edited:
testing showed we can run them at or around the then "1 watt barrier"
for inexpensive Laser Diodes.

Not really.

1W 808nm diodes have been available for years, but seeing(or not- haha) as they're 808nm, nobody's paid much attention to them.

They've been at about 70-100mW/$ for the past few years now. No big deal power-wise.

But with these diodes, suddenly, you have a once exotic color (blue), and a sh#tload of it too (1W). That's why there's a big fuss, and it's perfectly understandable.

Ooops... Not enough coffee yet...:D

You are correct about the IR LDs... I was referring to
visible wavelength LDs...:cool:

Jerry

i think it is dumb to address a laser by it's "rated" power when it is almost never that power. it's no different then most of the members here hating when a non experienced member comes in and asks for a "burning laser".

michael

Last edited:
You could refer to the 445nm LD as the Banana Laser Diode and it
would still have the same specs and still not taste like a Bannana..

If everyone called it the Banana LD... everyone would know what
the NAME was referring to... even as illogical it is to call it a Banana..

It is just a Name given to the Diode by others...
It still doesn't mean that you need to like it... it just is...;)

Jerry

DrSid

Yep .. I meant that the term 1W diode is already too much used and it is too late to change it now. We all know that 1W laser might not be 1W. But that was true for 50mW lasers too.

no-hope-for-this-thread.jpg

Who gives a flying crap about the term 1 watt? Lol, most of these 445 lasers are above 1 watt...

WRM

You could refer to the 445nm LD as the Banana Laser D556nmiode and it
would still have the same specs and still not taste like a Bannana..

If everyone called it the Banana LD... everyone would know what
the NAME was referring to... even as illogical it is to call it a Banana..

It is just a Name given to the Diode by others...
It still doesn't mean that you need to like it... it just is...;)

Jerry

Jerry, Do you know where I can get one of those Chiquita "K" (potassium) lasers? I think that they are 556nm.:D Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDOI24RRAE

Last edited: