Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make your way overspec $5 pen focusable + new bonus section added

Mine don't have a lens holder, just a bare lens with a spring under it and a brass barrel over it. The barrel is 7.31mm. the 650 and 405s are like this.

Pman

Think I know what you mean. There are some that have what looks like a brass piece that is screwed down into the brass housing and I've got no solution to those. I tried grabbing it and spinning it out but it wouldn't budge. IT appears to be smaller than the lenses I have anyways. Believe I only have 2 units like that. Really disapointed in how fast teh quality has dropped in these units since the market has taken off.
I'll take a look through all my cases and see if there's any that left that I haven't modified.
I just bought a set of these to try out even though I shouldn't be spending anything right now.
3pcs 5mW Red Green Blue Laser Pointer Visible Beam Fast Shipping from USA | eBay
Didn't even bother to make an offer first.
Bothers me that we can't find a set like the originals that I used to be able to get easily from ebay or Amazon. Considering they are coming from N.Y. city and I'm upstate N.Y. I'm expecting to be able to report on them within a few days. Fingers and toes crossed;)

Last edited:

Pman

Gentlemen, I have found a source!
3pcs 5mW Red Green Blue Laser Pointer Visible Beam Fast Shipping from USA | eBay
6rv8.jpg

Received these today (orderred on Monday) and they are correct. They are exactly what I used to be able to purchase.
Made an offer just now for 2 sets for $11 each with a message about this site and how we have been searching for these exact units and how I could get him many buyers especially if he could offer our members some kind of LPF discount.
We shall see what kind of response I get. Figured I would see what happens but you could make an offer or buy them outright as I did for a test batch.

532nm 120mw with 40% IR but an extremely stable unit. No increase in output with a single 10440.
650nm 123mw with 2mw increase in output with 10440
405nm 80mw with increase in output to 102mw with 10440.

If these are consistent they are fantastic numbers for the $ and can be easily modded for full focusability:)

Awesome Pman! Thanks for all your hard work on behalf of the Forum. I know finding a reliable vendor for these has been on ongoing quest of yours. Look forward to seeing the vendor response. A GB may be in order at some point :thinking:

~ LB

Pman

These have the real metal caps too:)
Also sells the star ap version which are likely the asme as the regular ones which means they also can be converted.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PCS-5MW-Green-Red-Blue-Beam-Laser-Pointer-Star-Cap-Fast-Shipping-From-USA-/180992531541?pt=US_Laser_Pointers&hash=item2a23fedc55#ht_2898wt_1161

Don't know what he would take for an aoffer on either set but remember that it is free shipping and he is in the states so it will arrive pretty quick. It is shipped first class mail.

Hmmmm I wonder who just made 2 more focusable pens?

Last edited:

Pman

Did not get a response back from the seller as far as getting an LPF discount but did bet a counter offer of $24 for 2 sets which I agreed to (saved $4).
Had to purchase a couple more sets to back up my findings with the first set and to see how low he would go.
He will likely not go below the $12 for a couple sets as he has sold a ton of these. I consider the buy it now price a good deal anyways as it has gotten very difficult to find decent units anymore. There's a good chance I will get these 2 sets by Saturday and I'll have more to report. I honestly expect these to be consistent as this type always gave good results.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks for finding the rite ones again. I checked a 405nm pen I just got and it dosent have a real metal end and has some funky module inside I cant seem to get out. When you run these on a 10440 you mean just 1 and a dummy rite?

Pman

Yes, that is correct. The only ones that I have really ever seen significant gains on from pens like this are the 405nm. Don't have a clue on life cycle but I would just suggest just keeping the duty cycle short or buying lots of them:)
Can't tell you how glad I am to have found them again. There's no comparison between these and the crappy ones we were stuck with for awhile. Felt pretty bad that I couldn't suggest where to get them until now.

Just so eveyone knows, I was quite surprised when the 532nm was able to pop a black balloon from 3 and 5 feet away in about a second WITHOUT being focused. It would not work on a yellow one without marking it but I didn't expect it to work on the black one. Not sure how you can beat the bargain here when you can focus the 405 and 650 also. Now I am going to make the 532nm focusable (really pretty much the same procedure as the 405 and 650 but with the bridge piece going over the top of the plastic piece that holds the lens. Think I showed a pic of this in the tutorial.
It is likely that I just got a freak 532nm not only in output but stability but I'll hopefully have a better overview of things by Saturday as I already have a tracking number.

What I would apreciate is that anyone who orders these to write a comment to the seller that they are from this forum and if there's a way to get a discount for our members.

Really think you should all buy these while you have the chance as I have no idea where else to get ones like this.

Last edited:

Tmack

After I got this seller's "not pen" 532 and it was impressive, I'm not surprised his pens are pretty good too. I only wish I would have Thought to tell you about him instead of you having to stumble upon him. Well at least their still out there. I think ill be ordering a combo pack soon. Thanks for the hunting pman .

Pman

Oh well, it's not like I expected to find the right ones. Felt I kind of had too or my tutorial would just be an exercise in frustration.
If you can afford it make an offer for multiple sets. There's too much goodness here for the $ to let them slip away. We've seen deal after deal go bye bye and regret not purchasing later.
People were all over those 50mw Fasttech 532nm modules before they stopped selling them and there were a huge number of members that regretted not buying a bunch of them and were asking everyone to sell them one.
It's too bad a lot of those same people can't seem to get by the number thing in their head and jsut by the <5mw ones as I never had any of the 50mw rated ones output as much as a lot of the ones they sell now. Will say that the 50mw ones were a little more stable though. I know I have at least 5 of those 50mw ones built into pen units(actually output around 90mw) but don't tell anyone:).
Really can't wait to see what the other 2 batches measure at for the 532nm units. I definately don't expect them to put out what my first one does. It also will easily light a blackend match with lens focusing. Issue with the 532nm and focusing is that you can only get to within about 5" away with the lens holder about to fall out due to not enough threads.
WARNING on doing this is you absolutely need to wear glasses that close up as the dot is VERY bright. You will know it if you don't!
Just don't want anyone to have any regrets for not getting them now.

Last edited:
Man,

If I wasn't going to pick up my girlfriend's gun tomorrow I'd jump all over these. The power output is absolutely unmatchable for the price! The only reason these aren't more desirable is because they aren't focusable out of the box and the host leaves something to be desired. Alas I have to wait until payday next week before I can buy any more. I also have 18 assorted fasttech modules I'm playing with :)

To everyone else, get 'em while they're hot!

Pman

To which Pman replies... what, only 18 :)

Well, I just made the 532nm focusable and to help stabilize the lens barrel I added a spring behind it like the 650 and 405 have. The spring has to either be stretched or use a longer one for better stabilization:)
Haven't done a 532nm one in a long time because it wasn't worth it The closest I can focus is just over 3" to light a match which is plenty close enough to avoid getting smoke on the lens. Lights black tipped match iimmediately.

Last edited:
18!?!? Damn jav. All diff mw?

Haha, no only 3 different mW ratings.

Edit: To Pman-

Only 18 Because I'm still collecting hosts for them all. Making a couple for my little guy but those will probably make their way to the "Inexpensive Build" thread :)

Last edited:

Tmack

I didn't mean all 18 were different :) well I know what a couple are for ;) but the rest , ill just have to see.

Pman would think " only 18" lol. My b68 is running at 125mw . Love it to death!

Pman

Well I will say that I never bought that many at one time. I think the most was 12.
Remember that if you are going to adjust the pots I HIGHLY recommend using something non-conductive or at least killing power to the module before adjusting again. It's always best to let the module cool before retesting once an adjustment is made.
Take little pieces of paper and write down the peak that you see and slip it in with the bag the module comes in so you know what each module can output or you will get confused really quick.
Don't know if you bought any 405nm ones but someone told me about trying to use an old soldering iron to get the epoxy away from the pot. Tried it on an old module that I had ruined by trying to get the epoxy off with a razor and I think it might work so we can see what the 405 is capable of. Just don't have a working one sitting around now. Don't have any modules at all actually although I have a few on the way for next week (but the 2 405nm modules are more like 2 weeks out).
Fasttech had some issues with China customs holding up a lot of orders and what I've seen lately is it is taking 5 days for a package to even show "accepted" which is the first part of the shipping process:(
Let me know if you need some direction on the module adjustments.

Pete

Last edited: