Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make your way overspec $5 pen focusable + new bonus section added

Pman

Yeah, I've found it's nice to have some pen units around when you run out of things to do.
Funny, I had not thought of turning a marker into one. Keep eyeing a nice looking wooden pen/pencil set I've got but don't think I could fit the parts in:(
Looking forward to what you guys can come up with to tell you the truth:)

UPDATE! Didn't realize it but the ebay seller "21buyinhere" pen sets are now being shipped from California and still free shipping so you get them quick instead of 2-3 weeks! Get them while you can as nothing lasts forever. Have seen many an ebay seller go down.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28101754889...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3191wt_1161

Last edited:

Nice P man. This will help even those who are on a tight budget to still have fun.
One thing I would like to add to help with getting out the lens is to use a pair of snap ring pliers you can get at an auto parts store. I find it easier because of the small tips. Don't get the multi-attachment ones as they can slip. You can't get the same depth as long needle nose pliers but you probably won't be going that deep any way. Also can be used for removing tail -switchs.

Thank you again Pman for the tremendous amount of help and support you've given :beer: The links you included are a huge plus (have the 3 color set on the way, if only I'd known before I ordered from China :rolleyes:) Have 2 builds planned, will definitely share here once I get them done. Great tut Sir :D

~ LB

Pman

You guys are great and my thanks right back at you.
Good idea on the snap ring pliers. I want others inputs on all of this. I have a set of those but they never popped into mind. I'll have to take a look at them because as you mentioned, don't think I have ones that can reach deep.
Believe the long needle nose I have came from a set of tools that had all kinds of small pliers and different types of needle nose in a carry case.
What I've been thinking of that would work out pretty well is if you had a round piece of metal (think of the bridge I showed using a pen barrel) and then dremel or file it so that you would end up with the 2 small tips that would fit right in the lens holes and the rest would be flat against the lens so you could push while turning and it couldn't slip and hit the lens. Possibilities for making something like that are endless. Would be even easier to use a stiff flat piece of metal that you cut to just fit inside the host and dremel/file/cut out the outside edges and the center to make the pins.
The only reason why the lens seems so tight at first is because of the spring pressure pushing against it and that's why you need something strong enough to unscrew it at first.
I try to warn about whatever you use slipping as you won't like it if you scratch the lens. Haven't scratched one in a long time now but I have to deliberately pay close attention to what I am doing every time.
IF you scratch the front cap it's annoying. Scratch the lens, UGH!

Lazerbeak, let us know how fast you get your 3 piece set since you are actually in California. Would think you would see them the day after they ship (trying not to be jealous:))

Last edited:
Will do Pman, just got tracking info in my email, so should be here before my China order placed a week ago, thanks for the heads up on the CA shipping :beer:

Gonna pick up some copper tubing and an inexpensive tubing cutter. Might make getting square cuts a little easier. will post results when I get it all together :D

economy-mini-copper-tubing-cutter-872613.jpg

~ LB

Pman

Since I repair commercial/Industrial Refrigeration (think Walmarts and giant warehouses) I have all that kind of stuff. When you use a tubing cutter, you will end up with a sharp edge in the inside and although I have a tool to remove it, you can just use something sharp like a knife to stick it inside and twirl it around to remove it since copper isn't that hard.
I use pieces of copper like you are talking about all the time to make up some space or bridge between a couple of host pieces. Don't have any machining tools so it can take a while to make the fits right just using a drill/dremel etc. It's why some of my builds (not talking about this tutorial) may seem simple but really took a long time from not buying premade pieces.

Thanks for the info Pman, I was thinking about using a Dremel or something to take down the edge, but a knife would be easier.

Pman...
I use pieces of copper like you are talking about all the time to make up some space or bridge between a couple of host pieces. Don't have any machining tools so it can take a while to make the fits right just using a drill/dremel etc. It's why some of my builds (not talking about this tutorial) may seem simple but really took a long time from not buying premade pieces.

I think that's where to "Art" comes into it. It can be time consuming but so satisfying when your done and it works :) So impressed by some of those custom builds you showed me ;) Look forward to you sharing more when you have the time :beer:

~ LB

Last edited:
Got my lasers in today Pman :beer: I'll get some batteries and check em' out in detail tonight :) ordered 6/4 got em' 6/7 3 days not bad at all :D

~ LB

Pman

Got mine today from "21buyinhere" also and I am NOT happy. Received 2 batches and only 1 650nm output at 111mw. The closest one next was a 405nm at 63. Took the caps. Took the caps off the other 4 units and found that the 532nm are now cheap plastic caps, the caps are not in tight and they no longer have the focusable lens. Sent a very unhappy message to the seller. Looks like he is selling cheaper crap since they now ship from the states.
Will have to go back to the million accesories ones to try. Don't see the 3 pack. Going to buy 2 sets of BBQbuy ones from Amazon and report.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00815ALO6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10S9POCO95S6I

Last edited:
:( bummer. I have still have 10 405nm's on the way from China. We'll see how they compare.

Yeah, the caps feel plastic. Still, better than paying $40 or $50 bucks at Radio Shack ;)

Edit...

I gpt home and popped in the batteries. You know what. I'm still totally happy with the purchase. I understand they are not on par with what the seller had available before, but still way brighter and much cheaper that Radio Smack :) We'll see how the Chinese 405's are when they get in.

~ LB

Last edited:

Pman

Made a couple of focusing pens that have the star caps and they worked out great.
Had bought them from Amazon but now it looks like they might not exist anymore. Everyone is cracking down on the overspec stuff so you have to buy while you can:(

Chasing the cheap overspec pen is getting harder....

p1010099yo.jpg

p1010101ff.jpg

p1010104st.jpg

p1010103k.jpg

Last edited: