Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to extend a laser's burning range

Hi,

I'm new here. I have a 500mw green laser. And I want to make a beam expander so that I could extend its burning range. What kind of lens should I buy?:thinking:

thanks..

WHY DO NEWCOMERS ALWAYS POST IN "Rules & Stickies"!?

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyway, in response to your question, although i haven't tried it myself, i know a lot of people use monoculars as beam expanders. You can grab 'em cheap from DX.

That said, they're not very adjustable and idk how useful it'd be for burning.

Next time, post in the right section.

WHY DO NEWCOMERS ALWAYS POST IN "Rules & Stickies"!?

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyway, in response to your question, although i haven't tried it myself, i know a lot of people use monoculars as beam expanders. You can grab 'em cheap from DX.

That said, they're not very adjustable and idk how useful it'd be for burning.

Next time, post in the right section.
I'll try a monocular scope. thanks..

anselm

Might wanna try out those "door peephole spy" optics, if you know what I mean.
That's essentially a beam expander.... ;)

Arayan

A beam expander to work well must be properly collimated with the beam emerging from the laser pointer. Verify the compatibility between the connections of your pointer and the BE before buying one!

PS: next time read carefully the threads titles before posting ;)

anselm

Not really, just that a friend of mine shined a greenie of mine through his door peephole
and HEY, that one worked.... But you really have to align it dead center.

Last edited:
Might wanna try out those "door peephole spy" optics, if you know what I mean.
That's essentially a beam expander.... ;)
That is an excellent idea!:D Im going to the hardware store. I had used a monocular that I made a mount for. Peep hole? Why didn't I think of that.

That is an excellent idea!:D Im going to the hardware store. I had used a monocular that I made a mount for. Peep hole? Why didn't I think of that.

You also did not think about the date of the last post & the OP--4/2011.
When people who know nothing about lasers see ANY burning by laser it only makes them more sure that lasers have no practical use and maybe making them illegal to own is a good idea. Most vets here are 'burned out' on burning by laser a LONG time ago. When I do that it is ONLY just to show how dangerous these can be and I am careful with who I show. Many newcomers here at LPF seem to be almost obsessed with this..

My comment about necroposting was NOT meant to be taken in a way that makes you shy from posting in the future--sorry. +3 (apology)

hak
btw I never spell anything wrong it the fault of my stupid fingers and my keyboard--lol

Last edited:
Ha! I have never even heard the term necroposting!
Maybe this will help me. I'm going to check the date from now on!
Nice collection by the way. that 1.3w green must be impressive.

Turns out the peep hole lenses are crap, very messy. Im going to try some tiny binocular lenses I have. I was planning to expand the beam into a fatter less hot beam.
I am also somewhat bored of burning things.

Last edited:
Guess you have not prices any BEs lately as Jetlasers is giving them away when compared to prices from others-

Mods please move this thread -its a PITA to keep seeing it get bumped in the WRONG section!
sheesh

Nevada

Hi,

I'm new here. I have a 500mw green laser. And I want to make a beam expander so that I could extend its burning range. What kind of lens should I buy?:thinking:

thanks..

http://www.edmundoptics.eu/
Look at here, if u want to really extend it's burning power u must use large collimator, that will focus your beam to the object. OR just reduce divergence, but it will be not good method because your laser has big divergence. look at your DPSS laser, i mean how it produce laser light...

getting good divergence and long range burning is very simple.
all that is needed is a plano convex lens with a diameter around 40mm and a fl of around 70mm

bam, you'll be burning from hundreds of feet, not that i see a point to it, I use this method for awesome beam specs personally.