Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How old are we?

How old are we?

• 13 and under

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • 14-17

Votes: 127 24.1%
  • 18-22

Votes: 129 24.4%
  • 23-30

Votes: 101 19.1%
  • 31-40

Votes: 79 15.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 46 8.7%
  • 51-60

Votes: 29 5.5%
  • +60

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

You couldnt of said it better, knowing my time is at the end of the curve and I wont see the horrors of what might become I have less fear of dying but I do have young nieces and nephews that are on my mind. On another subject back in high school I took my first computer class I think around 1979 and the main computer was half the size of my living room and all it did was punch a series of holes on a strip of paper to feed in another, so the 5 year difference between us might of had a wow effect then. Alaskan and others our age do you think we saw the biggest advancements in mankind during our time? Moon landings, space shuttles, amazing cars, this laptop im typeing into etc. or does every generation have that feeling......Oh yes Gabe it takes forever to grow up and the last 30years just flew by!.....also yes I always think why am I me, meaning my concience in this body

My mothers generation has probably seen the biggest leap, she was born in 1928 and is still alive. I think her generation has seen far more change than my own. I don't know what the next will be for us, but things are speeding up faster and faster, we are learning at an ever increasing rate. The next generation will probably, if we don't kill ourselves and destroy civilization first, probably have contact with other technological ET civilizations, I expect. Most of my life I feared world war three breaking out, but wasn't sure it would, now I am sure it will, sadly, with Russia or China both and of the two, China is the country I think would be the most ruthless, in the end (edit, perhaps if ISIS could get a hold of some nukes those two will be like angels in comparison). The only thing which might prevent it is the unexpected and that would have to be one hell of an unexpected event.

There is no doubt time does seem to go faster as you are older just due to the percentage of your life a year is.

Last edited:

GSS

God bless and knock on wood for your mom, is she a story teller? She was born a bit into the industrial evolution so I see your point. I like all our age remember cars of the 60,s on the road and marvel at them now how great the metal was and how solid they were built but remembering my father telling me they were nothing compared to the cars he saw growing up. Im not obviously talking about today advancements and materials but the raw thickness of everything built in that time....from toasters to fans

Last edited:
*ATTENTION*
Lost Decade.
Reward if found.
See RedCowboy.

@ Alaskan: Yes I fear a lot of turmoil lays ahead, between superbugs resistant to all our drugs and those wanting to destroy us the US is bound to suffer some major disasters, I recommend everyone have water, food, and essentials such as medication stored up to last for months, there may be times when you will need to shelter in place and there will be shortages of everything.

Last edited:
I was born Nov. 1957, same era. When I looked at the graph of member ages (at least, responses) I thought, why is that graph so little on the end? I'm I about to disappear?

Yes some of us are about to disappear.

I've lost my fear of death, humanity is so screwed up it will be a pleasure to leave you all to yourselves. Maybe in another 1000 years we will be kind, loving and constructive beings, as it is, it's a dog eat dog world too much of the time.

Of course, I will miss some when I go, but hell, I think everyone who gets older starts to think this way, at some point. Thing is, I don't believe in death anyway, so it is easy for me to think this way, I see consciousness as primary, transcending matter & I think this is how it has always been, there can be no death when there is no birth, no beginning.

I agree, when the time comes I am ready to get the hell out of here.

You couldnt of said it better, knowing my time is at the end of the curve and I wont see the horrors of what might become I have less fear of dying but I do have young nieces and nephews that are on my mind. On another subject back in high school I took my first computer class I think around 1979 and the main computer was half the size of my living room and all it did was punch a series of holes on a strip of paper to feed in another, so the 5 year difference between us might of had a wow effect then. Alaskan and others our age do you think we saw the biggest advancements in mankind during our time? Moon landings, space shuttles, amazing cars, this laptop im typeing into etc. or does every generation have that feeling......Oh yes Gabe it takes forever to grow up and the last 30years just flew by!.....also yes I always think why am I me, meaning my concience in this body

No, the biggest advancements are yet to come.

My mothers generation has probably seen the biggest leap, she was born in 1928 and is still alive. I think her generation has seen far more change than my own. I don't know what the next will be for us, but things are speeding up faster and faster, we are learning at an ever increasing rate. The next generation will probably, if we don't kill ourselves and destroy civilization first, probably have contact with other technological ET civilizations, I expect. Most of my life I feared world war three breaking out, but wasn't sure it would, now I am sure it will, sadly, with Russia or China both and of the two, China is the country I think would be the most ruthless, in the end (edit, perhaps if ISIS could get a hold of some nukes those two will be like angels in comparison). The only thing which might prevent it is the unexpected and that would have to be one hell of an unexpected event.

There is no doubt time does seem to go faster as you are older just due to the percentage of your life a year is.

My mother was born in 1924, she told me a lot of stories but she doesn't remember much now. I now believe she will out live me, but when I am gone I think she will follow within days or weeks.

As far as the passage of time goes, I don't believe the speed of time is constant.

Alan

OVNI

I'm typically a skeptic, have been most of my life, but I'm with Alaskan on this one. The human body alone is so complex that I believe that our existence here is also way more complex than we (may ever) understand. Therefore I (choose to) believe there's more to come.

I like Arthur C. Clarke's quote "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying" which sums up the age/maturity of our race I think. And of course, if you think about death and beyond, you'll run into Socrates' work. Lots of quotables there.

However, that said, I never did have any twin ESP experiences. We're definitely on the same wavelength but alas, no ESP.

I used to think just that way myself, no more... I could take you step by step down the path of why I see the world differently now, but it doesn't matter at all, we are just having adventures here, some that way, some this way... some think you disappear into nothingness when you die, it's all part of the make believe reality we are in to view the world as we will.

Last edited:
I used to think just that way myself, no more... I could take you step by step down the path of why I see the world differently now, but it doesn't matter at all, we are just having adventures here, some that way, some this way... some think you disappear into nothingness when you die, it's all part of the make believe reality we are in to view the world as we will.

I was born in 1952 when men were men and women were women...well, I was actually I suspect, better described as a male baby. That was then, this is now.

Only thirty years later, in 1982, The book Real Men Don' Eat Quiche was published. In the preface the author says, "we have become a nation of wimps."

The suicide rate among men over 50 is out of sight. Experts, filtered through the lens of ever political correctness say they don't know why.

The simple reason is the men are no longer necessary. In fact, women will be able to clone us for the sole purpose of reproduction.

From K-12 at our most formative age, who do we see. Our mother's. Our father's were at work. Our teachers were all women. If you went to Sunday school, your teaches were all women as well.

Women's liberation, has finally put us in our place which is nowhere.

There are no manufacturing jobs.

More women enter and graduate college than men.

Women will eventually outpace men in the workforce.

Now that women can hold ALL combat jobs in the US military, they may become a majority there.

Listen to the new be it radio or tv, whose voices do you hear as US governmental representatives one place or another...mostly women.

Where have all the men gone?

Somewhere along the line men abdicated their role as leaders and coupled with a host of other factors we are disappearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Gabe

All these things, really make me excited/worried for the future.
Pertaining to the previous topic:

I gotta have more cowbell.

GSS

This death thing is starting to get a little creapie:whistle: Gabe what are you doing listening to B.O.C? I was in high school when I was into them.

Gabe

This death thing is starting to get a little creapie:whistle: Gabe what are you doing listening to B.O.C? I was in high school when I was into them.

I basically just follow whatever my parents played around the house when I was littler, songs do this thing where if I find one that was played when I was little, it gives me some memory or feelings of childhood, it's tough to explain. Don't Fear the Reaper was I think the only song by BOC that does that though, a lot of songs I like fall into the alt rock/metal/hip hop/late classic rock/rap/pop stuff

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I basically just follow whatever my parents played around the house when I was littler, songs do this thing where if I find one that was played when I was little, it gives me some memory or feelings of childhood, it's tough to explain. Don't Fear the Reaper was I think the only song by BOC that does that though, a lot of songs I like fall into the alt rock/metal/hip hop/late classic rock/rap/pop stuff
You couldnt have explained better, my mind went right back to my highschool days when I just heard it again. To me songs come in probably 5 year increments to what they remind me of if that makes sense? It is nice though except the ones that might remind us of bad time in our lives.

Gabe

You couldnt have explained better, my mind went right back to my highschool days when I just heard it again. To me songs come in probably 5 year increments to what they remind me of if that makes sense? It is nice though except the ones that might remind us of bad time in our lives.

Yes! Sometimes a song is good but it reminds you of bad times, it's sucky. I remember it was a few years ago I found a song I didn't know I'd heard before, but it just flooded back memories of childhood, parents, divorce, friends and whatnot. First time I cried in years, and haven't cried since. Memories are weird.

GSS

Yes! Sometimes a song is good but it reminds you of bad times, it's sucky. I remember it was a few years ago I found a song I didn't know I'd heard before, but it just flooded back memories of childhood, parents, divorce, friends and whatnot. First time I cried in years, and haven't cried since. Memories are weird.
Nice, thats the good thing though bad or good, we need to cry once in a while its natures anti depressant. I tear up every now and then. and yes we do seek out the sad ones even thoughwe know they hurt.:thinking: