Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much damage could a this laser do?

It is a true:
500mW
532nm(Green) Laser.

HINT: I know any lasers above 5mW can/will cause damage, I do not aim any of my lasers at planes,people,animals,cars.

Im just curious? Some people say it isn't very powerful, other say it is.

How strong is it really?

NKO29

lol there's no way of telling what power it is w/o an LPM. 500mW of dpss 532nm would cost $400+. But if it's really 500mW it is VERY dangerous. it will blind and burn.

I think that any laser strong enough to burn will cause instant and probably permanent eye damage at close range, and the damage only gets worse as you go up in power. 500mW would probably cause a permanent blind spot.

I bought it from JetLasers, it included a power graph.

Max Output: 618mW
Average: 508mW
Lowest Output: 396mW

NKO29

Yep, that laser WILL blind you if it directly hits your eye! Not maybe, IT WILL! but nice laser :)

Encap

That is a very nice high quality laser, powerful and potentially dangerous.

Laser goggles are a must, especially if using inside or when trying to burn something --use safely --be careful it is not a toy. Use LPF search and read up on proper and safe use. No matter how careful you are the unexpected can happen.

A direct or reflected hit in the eye can easily cause permanent blindness in less than 0.25 second---faster than human blink reflex.

Last edited:
Yup! Especially until you are sure you know what you're doing, safety goggles are pretty important. At a certain point, you should be able to gauge what materials are dangerous to point at and which are not, but for now, get some goggles.

Oh and don't stare at the dot at close range, it is technically possible to damage your eyes just looking at the dot. Very powerful laser

SKeeZ

Not even sure what kind of an answer you are looking for. it would burn things slowly.

How much damage could this laser do?
Burn your whife , house , pets ect ect :D

I guess it depends on the type of application you are talking about. A 500mW laser is Class 4 and is actually very dangerous in a safety sense. It would definitely cause a lot of damage to anything.

"Lasers in this class have output powers of more than 500 mW in the beam and may cause severe, permanent damage to eye or skin without being magnified by optics of eye or instrumentation. Diffuse reflections of the laser beam can be hazardous to skin or eye within the Nominal Hazard Zone. Many industrial, scientific, military and medical lasers are in this category. Many handheld lasers ("laser pointers") at this output level are now available in this category."