Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I pinpoint a wifi source?

I finally found the iPhone app I wanted to tell you about, WiFiFoFum. It will give you signal level readout updates very quickly, good enough for peaking on signals, this with a piece of metal behind your iphone to act as a reflector, perhaps a garbage can lid, should work fine, if you happen to have an iphone or ipad:

iOS | WiFiFoFum

The display can show signal levels two ways, in a list, or as a radar screen type of display with the strongest signals in the center. The latter display gives the impression of the unit being directional because the individual Wifi signal strength indicators are spread out on the screen in positions around the center, but in reality, there is absolutely no directionality to it, it is just the way the display has been programmed to show different wifi transmitters which are strong enough to pick up. Cool, none the less. I used this app on my phone when working on a base in Afghanistan to find wifi hot spots on the base, as you walk closer to them the signal goes towards the center of the radar scope, further or weaker, they go to the outer perimeter of the display.

What I don't know is if this will work to identify signals in the wifi band which are not transmitting as internet hot spots, routers or IP based communication links. IF this will not do so, you are better off with a spectrum analyzer. That, or something like this with a long boom directional WiFi Yagi or loop antenna, if it goes high enough in frequency, I think it might, but the photo is a bit blurry: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RELATIVE-SIGNAL-STRENGTH-METER-KIT-/121530256510 - Only problem with this is it will pick up ALL radio signals in a very wide swath of frequencies and because of that, might not work well for you if some local radio station keeps overpowering the 2.4 GHz signal you are sniffing for, if it has enough gain. A lot of If's....

Last edited:

Reiign

can you connect to them? If that is an option what is the security? do they have wps? I can possibly give you instructions on how to crack into them just to see what they are pointing at.

MMUUUUHAHha-- DONT MESS WITH LPF.

iirc Aren't these 'triggered' by motion?? so if you approach one from the front a pic will be taken ... do these only send the image when 'prompted'?
-- that is how my GPS tracker follows my stolen stuff. I can say no more..

Reiign

MMUUUUHAHha-- DONT MESS WITH LPF.

iirc Aren't these 'triggered' by motion?? so if you approach one from the front a pic will be taken ... do these only send the image when 'prompted'?
-- that is how my GPS tracker follows my stolen stuff. I can say no more..

They work the same as gps trackers. Well thats certain models. The wifi one im a little unsure on. Would have to do some research. What are the bssid's? Might be like spycam or something wierd lol

if you have android tablet u can use the app "wifi analyzer" (ver. 3.9)
it makes a beep when you get closer to the source like the device in alien movies :)

Trespassers with firearms, that would make me unhappy too. Do you have a "purple paint law" or anything like that in your state? Drop $300 on a wifi finder and you might make it back with selling what you find.

Thanks for all the great input. Now that we have snow on the ground I've been watching for 2 legged sign.

@ reiign: The only weird signal I'm still getting is a WEP. It is very weak and comes and goes. I have not noticed a pattern to the signal.

@ weirdmeister: Which " WiFi Analyzer" do you mean? There are lots and lots of them with that name?

@ TheDuke: The perimeter of the property is marked as per local no trespassing regulations. Along the road I have it posted more frequently than required.

I just had some other thoughts on this. If they are security or game cameras that are connecting to a wireless router, it must be someone near you. Of course they could've just left the wireless on.

if you have android tablet u can use the app "wifi analyzer" (ver. 3.9)
it makes a beep when you get closer to the source like the device in alien movies :)

I have that app. If it is a camera or something like that, the app won't pick it up.

Reiign

Thanks for all the great input. Now that we have snow on the ground I've been watching for 2 legged sign.

@ reiign: The only weird signal I'm still getting is a WEP. It is very weak and comes and goes. I have not noticed a pattern to the signal.

@ weirdmeister: Which " WiFi Analyzer" do you mean? There are lots and lots of them with that name?

@ TheDuke: The perimeter of the property is marked as per local no trespassing regulations. Along the road I have it posted more frequently than required.

If its wep you can crack into it insanely easy. Infact download zanti2 or dsploit (hoping your an android person) Dsploit has an option where it cracks wep for you.

Teej

Some cars now have a wifi set-up built in (GM for example), so as they drive by, you could get a WEP signal for example.

@ weirdmeister: thanks! That app will definitely help me see what signals are out there.
@ Teej: I had not considered passing cars as a possible source.
@ Rein: I have an android, but it is not rooted

USAbro

@ weirdmeister: thanks! That app will definitely help me see what signals are out there.
@ Teej: I had not considered passing cars as a possible source.
@ Rein: I have an android, but it is not rooted

How close is the nearest road that cars travel on?

The barn is 180 feet from the road. The house is 350 feet from the road.

T_warne I am just a hundred miles east of you in the town of Coulee City I have friends and Family up in Spokane Wa.

First if you think you have game cams on your property with no trespassing signs get Washington fish and game involved. Tell them your concerns. More than likely with them they will send out a warden and they have equipment to do just that. If not pm me I give you my phone and I am getting my Bachelors in Network Security and there are ways to triangulate with out all that bs go out to your field with your smart phone and check the amount of bars per signal the closer you get to one the better the wifi signal will be you should be able to get with in ten to twenty feet of a wifi signal

Reiign

T_warne I am just a hundred miles east of you in the town of Coulee City I have friends and Family up in Spokane Wa.

First if you think you have game cams on your property with no trespassing signs get Washington fish and game involved. Tell them your concerns. More than likely with them they will send out a warden and they have equipment to do just that. If not pm me I give you my phone and I am getting my Bachelors in Network Security and there are ways to triangulate with out all that bs go out to your field with your smart phone and check the amount of bars per signal the closer you get to one the better the wifi signal will be you should be able to get with in ten to twenty feet of a wifi signal

Is the triangulation method using the what tower its connected to etc? honestly curious on your answer :p