Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I get this thing to work?

Is it broken? I plug it in the socket and switch it on but I don't get any 5/12 voltage out, nothing happens.

psu001-1.jpg

psu003-1.jpg

psu002-1.jpg

I want to use this as a lab-PSU btw.

those are dirt cheap on ebay mine burnt out i got one for under 20.00 I believe

Yeah but first I want to know if this thing really is broken, or if it's just me who don't know how to use it. ;D

Are you only plugging in power..
I think, because it's a CPU PSU you need to attach a button to the appropriate cables so u can turn on the PSU like the computer button is turning it on.

Things

IIRC, those types of PSU's need a load to work properly. Try putting a fan or something on the 12V lines and turn it on. Also make sure you have a switch :p

12dstring said:
It's usually the green one you have to connect to any black one to turn it on.

this ^

jumping green to black will signal the supply to turn on, and as some said it may require a load on the 5v rail to work (some need the load, some don't) so jump it and find out :p

I connected a wire between the green and one of the black pins on the 20 pin connector and a 2.8W load to 5V and a fan to 12V.

The wire between green and black draws over 3.3A and nothing happens. Without a load it makes a faint whistling sound. :-?

I've heard to have the 20 pin connector on a load. So if the greena and black wire are the right one's put a load in there, I don't know how much, it's because of something to do with a relay if that helps.

try adding more load to the 5v rail, if it still doesn't work I'd say the PSU is dead

I just tried it with 7W and still nothing.

But something isn't right with the pins/colours. I googled some pics of the connector and found out that the green wire on my PSU is not on the correct pin. Or so I think.. Maybe the colours are just mixed up IDK.

Edit: I tried it my way (ignoring the colours and going for the correct pins) and it does work now, I can hear a relay switch over inside. It does need a load to work tho.

No problem, thanks for inspiring me to make one...I'm going to get parts for my old power supply right now!