Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I focus my laser?

Hye, how's everybody? I have been inactive for a while because of school. Anyway, I opened this thread, as I do not have any idea on how to focus my 50 mw ledshoppe green laser so it can be more powerful. I know I can do this with a lense but I don't know what kind to use :p
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

You might consider using a collimator, which uses a concave lens to spread the beam out, and a convex lens to refocus the beam. I have never used these personally, but they are easy to make and inexpensive. The lenses can be mounted in a PVC tube and adjusted before being secured in place

To be honest, if you're just focusing to burn things you can use an ordinary magnifying glass.

diachi

To be honest, if you're just focusing to burn things you can use an ordinary magnifying glass.

Yeah, ElektroFreak got it.

BUT using a lens makes the laser LESS powerful, BUT it focuses all the light to a tiny point so that it will burn better. Same idea as with a magnifying glass and the sun.

Regards,

Adam

Hye, how's everybody? I have been inactive for a while because of school. Anyway, I opened this thread, as I do not have any idea on how to focus my 50 mw ledshoppe green laser so it can be more powerful. I know I can do this with a lense but I don't know what kind to use :p
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

the ones i purchased had a really fat beam like 2.5 mm you may never get it to really burn good although a magnifying glass is your best bet

hey i used one on my blue RPL yesterday and popped a balloon lol it peaks at 50ish

93shad

what about a beam expander?
wont it spread the beam then put it back at a focal point? are there any for pen style lasers?

Larry has a new lens I think that focuses it better and doesn't cause your green to lose power but actually increase it

93shad

Larry has a new lens I think that focuses it better and doesn't cause your green to lose power but actually increase it

larry who?
do you have a link? my optotronics pen does not have the tip that comes off so the DL beam expander wont work, any others?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, you could use this lens, or a G-2 type single element lens which is available from DTR's store.

BTW - You should probably post this in your other thread (Can 300mW or 500mW burn white paper?), or start a new thread as this thread has been dead for over 7yrs.

Last edited:

Tedro

Didnt want to start new thread for one simple question, and it wouldnt fit in the category my thread already is in. Anyways wont do this again.

And thanks. Will look at the G-2 lens type