Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

How and where to start building lasers? Books? Internet?

I recently looked into buying a 1W-2W laser online, all of them exceeded $200+. While I was looking around, I came across a random thread on a random forum where a guy was essentially saying that you can piece together a significantly powerful laser, piece by piece for under $50-$80 bucks. So I went looking around for laser parts and pieces and he was right. Of all the parts I looked at, not one piece exceeded $15-$20 bucks.

The problem is, I know jack about lasers with regard to putting them together and what components are needed etc. I tried looking around online for a "how to build a laser" tutorial, but ended up getting instructions and schematics intended for an Optics Engineer or a Optical Physicist.

If I wish to start learning how to build my own, so I don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars, or rely on others (their mood, their workmanship etc) to build one for me, how do I start? Are there any books on the subject that don't require an Optical and Electrical Engineering degree to comprehend? Any videos that can explain it to a layman?

I'm a newbie here, so in advance I appreciate any direction and advice you can give.

The forum helped me a lot, I just go back on a lot of old posts a lot of questions I had were already answered because other people asked.

hakzaw1

WE LIKE it when 'newbies' intro themselves before asking for help..(in the WELCOME' SECTION.. Your intro title is better for all if it has your location in it. (the title) This is about the only way a member will agree to help you in person.. A very high percentage of first time builders FAIL.
Thus we often suggest starting very small. (less lost $$$$)

No offense but.. your searching skillz kinda suc. jk

EVERY possible question & answer is there..

BUT
this is not like building a kite.
there is no way to learn overnight-- I learn new stuff daily --see my 'join' date.

you failed to mention your eye protection that you OWN NOW.. if none --do not EVEN order parts until your eye are protected with the correct laser eyeware (not all the same)-- We do not help unless this is followed to the letter.. AND to some degree: no 'intro' no help.
TBH I am not a fan of your username--just putting that out there==its your choice--but with effort you could change it (see any MOD)
So slow your roll.
spend time searching and reading our stickies -- It took a lot of work to make them--please do not disrespect us.
Do you know SAM? if not you do not know 'squat' about lasers. He (& others) wrote our Laser Bible..

will be watching for your intro.

. hak (Len) in Texas. 77422

Lifetime17

LPF Site Supporter
Hi Hak,
Slow my roll that is a great Kid Rock song just listened to it today. I guess your crystal ball is calibrated ..

Rich:)

paul1598419

Interesting proposal. Considering your electronic skills and the special tools you need to build a handheld laser, your chances of building one successfully in a short period of time is very slim. There are many people here that could do it for you, but since you are not known here, that will not likely happen either. So, I guess your best bet is to take it upon yourself to learn the requisite skills and obtain the necessary tools to complete this task. It won't happen quickly. Good luck. :cool:

Immo1282

LPF Site Supporter
So my perspective on building from scratch to save money over buying a powerful handheld as a first laser - Not going to happen. You'll likely kill parts, and need tools that are equal or greater in value to the difference in money.

If you want to build lasers - that's good and we'll likely help you achieve that. If you want a powerful handheld for $50-80 you won't get that by building it without prior experience and tools.

My 2c.