Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How about this for a vintage host?

Scum, please keep us update on this build and take a ton of pictures. i believe it is going to turn out to be one of the best "retro" lasers built. im excited to see how it turns out and the process of building it

IsaacT

I found one of these online....HOMART FLASHLIGHT. The one the guy has for sale is copper or brass though. He wants 50 for it. I offered 20. What do yall think? I like the copper finish of his.

Just some quick and crappy iphone snaps of my everready captain. As you can see it is a slightly different model, but it's essentially the same host. In this one the magnet is the slide switch and it doesn't have the momentary switch like the one in the op.

lvxWJ47l.jpg

s3BE4MYl.jpg

Loop
IV4H1b1l.jpg

Built in charging port with a voltage display while the laser is switched on.
Ufutaggl.jpg

My homart "bullet" host in the foreground. It's still a flashlight atm.
UKCRlzxl.jpg

i6oFN9al.jpg

Thanks Guys! I'll do just that. I've been looking into heatsinks for it all day. This will require MUCH customization that I am not willing to pay for, so I will handle much of that myself.

Wannaburn, that's a REALLY cool flashlight. But, one thing that attracted me to the one I found was that the guy wanted only $8 for it. I can't pass that up.

James, that's amazing! I must pick your brain all about it! You didn't show the face in your pics! I love the Homart..I may have to find one.

Who made the heatsink? Can I see pics of that? Do you have the dimensions?

Please, when it is convenient for you, PM me about this. I must do one of my own.

James, that's amazing! I must pick your brain all about it! You didn't show the face in your pics! I love the Homart..I may have to find one.

Who made the heatsink? Can I see pics of that? Do you have the dimensions?

Please, when it is convenient for you, PM me about this. I must do one of my own.

I replied to your PM. :)

Here is a quick shot of the front face of the heatsink. It could use some polishing.

JbnXPuxl.jpg

Did I mention the magnet? :D

A6gMYvll.jpg

Oh the magnetic feature... that's different!

@wannaburnstuff most of my vintage flashlights are still for sale if you're interested in helping me get rid of them :whistle:
Plus, I have two places I go that keep an eye out for me. One's someone's daily barn sale (dirty place but I got some good deals there), and another is some old dude who buys estates and sells off what he finds.

@op looking forward to seeing that get built! Its too bad RHD isn't really active anymore

What do you think guys? Does The Captain belong in my collection?

U2t4N45.jpg

I've already mic'd it out to get an idea of the heatsink. Wait for it....

50x47 mm!! It's going to be huge! I do believe this host deserves to join the 3W club w/ the SAiK SA305 I'm building!

Oh, man is this thing going to cost me. I really don't see how copper, even with tapering, is going to be affordable. I may never be able to sell this considering the investment into it.

Now to find a machinist!

Quick question...Do I need to be concerned about the momentary on switch in this build causing any current/driver issues? Can the diode and driver handle rapid on/off cycles just fine? Maybe an X-Boost with a soft start isn't an option...

AlI would certainlly go with copper. I have one just like that but I don't have the heart to mess with it. It was my moms and that thing was used ALL the time. We had to use a piece of cardbaord from a cereal box to keep the batteries from rattling around.
Can't wait to see it finished. BTW, what nm are you going with?

Last edited:

IsaacT

If I were doing a vintage build I would almost certainly go with 532nm, as I think the juxtaposition of old tech and futuristic tech(i think 532nm looks the most futuristic) would be very awesome!

EDIT: get one of those laserglow modules outputting over hundreds of mW of 532nm....would be a BEAST.

Last edited:
A little off topic but I was at a flea market yesterday and found 4 vintage ray-o-vac sportsman lights. At least I think they were all sportsman lights. Some of them the logos were worn off but they otherwise appeared to be in good shape.

2 X sportsman "baby" 2 cells (1 X missing ring)
Rayovac Flashlight - 2 Cell "Sportsman" Baby Light with Logo on Barrel and Ring Hanger 6.125" MOL (c. 1965)
1 X sportsman with large reflector. I thought this was 2X but all references show it as 3 cells.
Rayovac Flashlight - 3 Cell Chrome "Sportsman" with Large Reflector, Logo on Barrell and Ring Hanger (c. 1965)
1 X of a longer version of the first model. It must be this 3 cell version here:
Rayovac Flashlight - 3 Cell "Sportsman" with Logo on Smooth Band on Barrell and Ring Hanger (c. 1965)

They were all marked as $5.00 each. I sadly have way too many hosts, so I turned them all down. :(

If anyone really wants one I suspect they will still be there for a few days. PM me and I'll pick them up and reship for actual costs.

Last edited: