Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

How about this for a vintage host?

There are some really cool vintage and hacked use build ideas going around the forum of late, and I love it.

I came across this old Everyready Captain 2 cell flashlight today in a junk shop, and thought it would make a beautiful host...but which diode to pick? Copper or polished aluminum heatsink?

Here are the pics. They are not mine. I used some etsy site's as I didn't buy it yet.

The guy wanted $8 for the flashlight, and it was in nearly as good condition as the one in these pics. I waffled, but I think I've talked myself into it.

Let's see more thrift store builds out there!

ZRaffleticket

Man, I haven't seen one of those that clean. Nice! I think jay uses a different year than that one.

I'd say polished aluminum for that one, could make a nice 405nm build. I'm going to eventually get a 405 in one of these

I've seen JayRob's and it is indeed a nice flashlight, not a laser. But, why buy when one can build?? He'll surely get a heatsink for it out of me, as he should be familiar with the size.

Last edited:

ZRaffleticket

My vintage light was a flashlight once, who's to say yours needs to stay a flashlight? ;)

Perhaps the fact that this could be a really neat host and had at a bargain is being missed here...

grainde

Id go for copper personally.:) The heatsinking is so much better and if you dont treat it, it will age giving you more of an ancient look...;) Obviously more expensive though...If you did choose copper, Flaming Pyro machines it and his prices arent too extortionate. :beer:

Zoidberg

WOW thats amazing! I actually have a flashlight just like that only it has a larger, magnetic on/off switch made of black plastic. Never thought Id see one like it. I think the body tube is so one of a kind and will make a totally unique laser host, even with its lens/reflector housing. ;)

Upon a little more research, it uses 2 D-cells. That means I can cram a massive heatsink into it. I was imagining 2 big 32600 L-ions in there...

Livinloud

Don't polish it up, it looks amazing as is.
i completely agree! dont polish it and go with a copper heat sink. antique/age the sink and make it look like a antique laser! that would be sick! i am loving all the pawn/thrift shop finds on this site lately. has me inspired to dig around and see what i can find. even if i cant use it myself im sure someone on here will have a use for whatever is found!

imagine getting this finish on the heat sink combined with the flashlight's antique look

OR

Last edited:
Yeah...I believe I will be getting this flashlight tomorrow. It seems I'm going to have a homeless 532nm soon enough.

IsaacT

I went by Goodwill today because of this thread...no flashlights though :/ I may stop by Salvation Army tomorrow...any other suggestions for places to check? Maybe pawn shops?

jcranmer

There are some really cool vintage and hacked use build ideas going around the forum of late, and I love it.

I came across this old Everyready Captain 2 cell flashlight today in a junk shop, and thought it would make a beautiful host...but which diode to pick? Copper or polished aluminum heatsink?
These make wonderful hosts! I have a 635 that was built in that same host (Mine has a large magnet on it though).

Keep in mind keeping the original switch functional requires some skill and planning with the heat sink and the return path. That switch pushes a small brass strip up to make contact with a metal ring to complete the circuit. This ring is connected to the reflector which you will lose when you convert it to a laser heatsink.

Moh made my heatsink and "The Resident Ancient Light Builder" actually built the laser in it for me sometime ago.

I need to post some pictures of it as I don't think I ever have before.

Wannaburn, I'll just tell you the kind of place I found it in. Look for the oldest, funkiest pawn/swap shop that looks like an episode of Hoarders is being shot there.

Thanks for the tips, jcranmer!