Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host Design Contest: Poll/Update in OP

Which Host Design is more Deserving?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Host Design Contest

Is this contest going to go on indefinitely until...

I am thinking a month but if there are no entries I like by then I would keep it open until entries I like are submitted.

Or will you eventually call it and award someone the promised prize :yh:

IsaacT

I will award someone a prize by the end of this month. Sorry everyone, I wanted to give it more time and then forgot! :eek:

IsaacT

Okay, it looks like no one else is really entering. So, I am going to announce the winner in a few days. Hey Duke, how would that screen work? What component is that? Does it simply go in series with the circuit and read it?

Edit: I see your link to the component now.

Last edited:

Not to complicate things but I had been thinking about that design and I would almost forgo the meter I linked earlier for this one. It would be pretty wicked to have that type of digital gage. It's range is right in the wheelhouse for lasers too.

Digital Thermometer Temperature LCD Module Gauge °C °F Mod PC 10? 80? | eBay

I couldn't find power requirements in the listings but its cheap enough to merit a test.

Last edited:

I just kinda decided to click on this, and my brain juices are flowing. I have an idea, need to try to get it down somewhere.

Looking for a sketchpad.

IsaacT

Hey Bloompyle, I look forward to seeing your design!

Oh wow, forgot completely about this....I may still try to get my idea down

IsaacT

Bump and a reminder to get your submissions in!

Look good A++++++ .I like host that will fit 2-26650 batteries for the real high power drivers.
Tell you what, I have this OLD designs from a while back. I never got around to actually doing it because, well, you see...

Let me know if you like it, so I know should I be moving the designs forward from "just a concept" that it is now.

Look good A++++++ .I like host that will fit 2-26650 batteries for the real high power drivers.

Thank you, but it was intended for 1x 18650.

(this was ortographic, instead of perspective render, but you can see the battery for comparison)

Driver/switch board half-cut.

Tailcap (I imagined it has a keylock switch)

IsaacT

I just drew up some designs I am super excited about. I will post the designs once I have my host made. Still waiting on Bloom and Crazy to put their submissions in.

The portable idea I had is very loose, and hard to draw up currently.

However, I do have a labby design for a LN2 cryo laser. Does it need to be portable?

ru124t

Just make me dr who sonic screwdriver plug and burn host ! Contest over I win ! LOL

Double post:

I remembered the liquid nitrogen (LN2) portable host design I came up with earlier ... in the shower.

It utilizes a sealed ceramic host to heatsink junction, that holds the drivers sealed in the pill. This is so that the drivers do not succumb to super cooling effects. I don't want to "overclock" anything here with the drivers. These will have a special screwing method, not like metal threads, but using two large threads. I have a loose idea in mind, but it's hard to get down on paper. The ceramic will lock into place with the host body. Then the heatsink will lock into the ceramic.

The heatsink is all encompassing, and I believe it to be the best heatsink design I've ever thought of. I, personally, think it's brilliant.

First things first, there will be a tiny hole drilled into the back of the heatsink, and a digital thermometer head will be inserted. Removing it from the LN2, just getting temp from the heatsink. This will feedback to an LED display above the power button on the side of the host (there's going to be a metal side clicky with a lit circle around it).

Back to the heatsink. Beyond the initial metal ring, is an empty doughnut of space, then the other piece of the heatsink. Going through this doughnut, is the module. Though this is all one piece of metal, so the diode and module will never have direct contact with the LN2. This doughnut and heatsink is shielded by a sleeve as well, with a slide open slot. Think of the hatch you see on secret doors in movies, that are opened to check for visitors (and often have guns slipped into them).

This slider will open, and I will pour the LN2 into it, until evap stops, and the heatsink has fallen to -191C.

Even more ingenuity ahead! Since water vapor here will be an issue, I've thought of that ;) The laser will be focused to infinity beforehand, and then sealed in the heatsink. There will be two slots drilled around the output "cavity". In these slots, I will place desiccants that have been thoroughly baked, and dried, beforehand. On the output side, I will seal a sheet of AR glass, with a thin layer of silicone. So those desiccants will keep water vapor from irritating the optics and electronics within the module. I will also use an acrylic lens for the laser. I don't need metal expanding and exploding the module. Around the module will be a sealant, likely silicone. This is so during expansion, things don't shatter, but there is still a seal to prevent leaking LN2.

I have a very specific idea for this build, I know exactly what I will be doing with it. Though I am keeping that a secret ;)

I have pictures of really quick sketches I did. Not pictured, are the button, temp monitor, and thermometer. The rest should be accurate. The endpiece is loosely designed here, I may limit the fins later on.

I am also using this tech for a labby, so stay tuned for that :)

PS - I have NO idea how much this will cost. Perhaps under $200, but I can't be certain. There are a lot of specialty parts here, so likely not. Either way, even if it can't be entered, it's a fun idea that I wanted to showcase.

IMG_0963.jpg

ru124t

Finally Bloomie has the perfect design to get rid of my nosehair! You shouldn't have !

IsaacT

Hey Bloom, I have a pretty good idea of what sort of *sub-505nm* shenanigans you are planning with this host.

I have began the process of getting my own design built by Ehgemus. Similar to yours I am utilizing a side clicky with the LED circle of lights when it is on. I have always loved those. My Focus Adapter design is in my opinion awesome. But yeah, it is my opinion so lol. I will be sure to make a thread on the whole thing once the host gets made.

Until then, :shhh:

Crazyspaz, what you got for me?