Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Home depot 2D Mags and Defiant pens.

Pman

Home Depot is dumping those 2 AAA Defiant pen lights for $2.03 each and the 2D mags are all $5.03. The LED 2D Mags are $7.53.
Get them while you can;)

Last edited:

GSS

Home Depot is dumping those 2 AAA Defiant pen lights for $2.03 each and the 2D mags are all $5.03. The LED 2D Mags are $7.53.
Get them while you can;)
This could be something good at least for me to check. Pman, Bowtie, Lifetime I can imagine all the HomeDepot's in your area's are probably stripped clean of all flashlights not just the Defient ones:whistle: I have yet to see anyone into lasers in my area so my "stupidity" is telling they might be well stocked near me.:can:

Pman

Well they are awful good deals. I bought the 3 pens they had plus 5 mags. They had another 10 Mags left. They had just put them out today in the clearance spot they have at the end of the tool section across at the front of the back aisles. If you don't know where that section is in your store ask. They always seem to have some flashlights there but most are ones we wouldn't use. Pmd a couple people like Jayrob as he really likes them. Maybe Mag is going to discontinue and they won't be available anymore.

Last edited:

GSS

Well they are awful good deals. I bought the 3 pens they had plus 5 mags. They had another 10 Mags left. The had just put them out today in the clearance spot they have at the end of the tool section across at the front of the back aisles. If you don't know where that section is in your store ask. They always seem to have some flashlights there but most are ones we wouldn't use. Pmd a couple people like Jayrob as he really likes them. Maybe Mag is going to discontinue and they won't be available anymore.
Directions doesn't get any better than this:crackup:

Hi Pman,
Yes i noticed this some time ago i bought all the defiance around my area and the mags come only in black no colors but i will check it out anyway good post buddy

Rich:)

Pman

Not sure what you mean as they didn't have any 2D mags in black only silver and blue and the LED ones were gray.
The sign did say Black 2D Mag so I took one up to the register and the other colors were the same price.
As far as light output the 2D mags have always been terrible at 19 lumens. I did open the one LED one and it was decently bright though. It was around 168 lumens I think and sure looked like it used the same switch. Bought 2 silvers and 2 blues of the regular ones. The big deal is they have room for a nice heatsink and a well built switch that I think is rated for 10A. They don't show them on sale or clearance online.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find those Defiant pens at my Home Depot, or online for around a month now. Most likely they are already gone in my area!

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
Yes me to none here also even online for the Defiants. And if you do find them make sure to get the right ones.The pens with the silver ring between the head and the battery tube is no good. They are glued in and the CU module will not seat forward enough to use a lens and focus adapter.. The ones you want will be all black with no silver ring separating the head and battery tube.

Pman

I'm confused Rich as it souns like you are describing the exact ones I buy that come right apart. The ones that Bow bought have that issue you described though as he kindly sent me one and it was a huge pain to remove the stuff just like you mentioned.
This is what the correct one looks like this but mine say 40 lumens with same 724 550 number:
Defiant LED Pen Light 724 550 Pocket Size Batteries Included 21 Lumens | eBay
A standard module will slip right in and you can add a layer or 2 of tape or something to the module to make it fit more snug. Their is a lip on the end that will keep the module from coming out of the fronT but a lens will fit through it so you can adjust it. If you can't get the lens close enough to the diode for infinite focus you have to either add something inside the focus knob so there is more threads to screw in or you could glue the lens so it isn't screwed all the way into the knob.
I did find a different pen there yesterday that they only had one of that I think will work out fine. Different brand for about $7.
Anyways, you have to keep checking the spot they put stuff like that in as you never know what they are going to get rid of.

Last edited:
Hi PMan,
Ok here's the issues with these pens. The 2 packages are marked with the #724=550 ok one has the longer front end that screws in and the other has a short front end. The one with the longer front is the one you want and the threads are male on the battery tube. The short one has a female thread on the battery tube and a 2 sided male thread connecting the battery tube and the front head. This shorter front is the one you don't want everything is glued in the head and the lip where the CU module stops is to long making the lens barred sit to far in. They kept the same Model number # 724-550 but they changed the design of the pen so we can't have our fun :(... I have 4 more good ones and one bad one i'll bring the bad one back today at a different Home Depot and see if the one with the longer head is still available. i think i found another possible pen that works i'll send the name later but they go for 12.00 i put a make an offer in still waiting ..

Pman

Haven't seen the one you are talking about as mine are all good. I'm assuming the one you are talking about isn't the one Bow bead blasted and showed here as I don't know what model his was:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/home-depot-defiant-pen-build-96282.html

Nah, wouldn't have been that one as it was a 2 pack. He sent me one and I sent him the other kind and his was the huge pain one that I had to keep drilling out to clear all the junk from it. Actually ended sending it back to him so he could get it drilled out and bead blasted just like that one. Haven't built 8t yet and now I have one of those, 2 bead blasted of mine, another 3 in black and now a slightly different one that is a different brand.
Bottom line is you have to keep your eye out and take a look when you go to stores like auto, hardware Walmart, Target etc. Of course there's never ending stuff online but it does involve more risk as it's hard to tell if AAA units will be able to fit a module well enough to make it all work out. I've come across a few that were too skinny to bore which ended up being a waste of $. Tried one that was pretty cool from Amazon that didn't work out because the grooves in the design ended up being in too far so while boring it out it came apart:(
Happy hunting:)

Last edited:
Hi Pman .
I found out that if it shows the specs and the diameter is 13mm or o.5 in. the module should fit , but the head has to be long enough for the module and driver.. I have 5 of the good one tike bowtie . I went hunting after work today and picked up 5 2-D cell Mag Lites 3 silver and 2 blue. going back for the black ones tomorrow .Oh i'm going to try to spray paint the pen in a different color and clear coat it..

2D Mags....at 5 bucks !!! Yea !!! The back end ( switch and battery tube) sure worth that !!!!!! I will go hunting tomorrow !! Thanx ! Beam out

Pman

When I went back yesterday somehow I snagged the one 2D Mag left with the LED because everything else was gone of course. They didn't have the price sign up and what I think happened was no one realized it was on sale as it was sitting there mixed in with other stuff like someone was thinking of buying it but then left it there as if they changed their mind. Looked all over but didn't find any more. Was worth the trip.