Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Home defense weapon

Paintball gun with pepper balls, and if it's an end of the world scenario then you won't be going non lethal anymore, if it's not an end of the world scenario then a paintball gun with pepper balls gives you the non lethal distance you want.

They aren't legal in some states. Something like this would be nice:
The Home Security Superstore - PG-7 Pepper Spray Ball Gun - Black by Tippmann - T120007 - Self Defense Products Online
The ammo is expensive: The Home Security Superstore - PG-7 Hot Pepper Rounds Refill by Tippmann - T220200 - Self Defense Products Online

Alan

Thanks guys that's why i asked. I understand your reasoning & valid arguments make perfect sense. The use of any potentially harmful object as as weapon would be only considered as a last resort. When where we are in a " end of days" Martial law or Zombie apocalypse hopeless scenario. Only for home self defense of multiple raiding attackers only When my life limb or substance was being threatened. I can not get a gun do to a misdemeanor drug charge over 30 years ago. I am considering different means of defense. This was one of them which would probably rate in the hot oil & fire categories of the medieval times, Some what effective but not very popular. At the last resort point of taking such an action to defend one self, legal and ethical do not come in to play, one does what they have to to survive,. Sorry I don't know how to reply to your answers but here

You could modify the optical system to create a fat wide beam essentially turning your laser into a bright flashlight thereby reducing the ocular hazard to below nominal ocular hazard. That's what some Laser Dazzlers do. Nite club laser systems do this to produce "fat beam" lasers. You could do this with a 5mw laser. This free program would help. http://www.laservisuals.com/sglite.htm
A pertinent video http://www.ndep.us/Laser-Dazzlers

Keyword search "laser dazzlers" to see what pops up.

I'm unaware of any state law prohibiting the use of a laser in self defense. The same appears to be true for a federal law. Here's a link to laws governing lasers by state http://www.laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/uslaws/uslaws.html

Last edited:
Seems like you just won't let go of not using a laser. It seems like you are star struck by the "coolness" of using a laser. It is not cool to use any type of laser as a weapon unless you are a trained authority and the LAW allows you to do so.
Yes you might be able to get an attachment to open up the beam like a Phosforce or Beam Expander but it is still being driver by a ... laser.
Some lasers have codes or a key to first unlock the laser and those are precious moments to waste if your life is in danger.
As stated very well above by many members, don't use a laser as a weapon!!
Use a bright, solid, bone breaking flashlight, a paintball gun, pepper spray. Things like that.
I have used foaming wasp spray and I have seen what it does. It is an amazing deterrent.

BTW, thanks guys for bringing my attention to pepper spray paint balls ... awesome!!

Seems like you just won't let go of not using a laser. It seems like you are star struck by the "coolness" of using a laser. It is not cool to use any type of laser as a weapon unless you are a trained authority and the LAW allows you to do so.
Yes you might be able to get an attachment to open up the beam like a Phosforce or Beam Expander but it is still being driver by a ... laser.
Some lasers have codes or a key to first unlock the laser and those are precious moments to waste if your life is in danger.
As stated very well above by many members, don't use a laser as a weapon!!
Use a bright, solid, bone breaking flashlight, a paintball gun, pepper spray. Things like that.
I have used foaming wasp spray and I have seen what it does. It is an amazing deterrent.

BTW, thanks guys for bringing my attention to pepper spray paint balls ... awesome!!
Oh you know that trick too. My former spouse's God Mother used to keep some on her nightstand.

Pman

Phlatlight PT-54 or really nasty PT-121 especially in green with no lense will give a blinding light in a huge area or with the lens a stronger smaller area. Jordan can make you a PT-54 one but it isn't cheap. You can also just rig one up in a project box with a switch for very little. Even my simple PT-54 red with no lens and a couple parallel high amp draw 18650 is blinding. You should see a PT-121 green the same way, it's shocking how bright it is. Likely around 4500 lumens :eek:
I would not even consider a laser for this! No way. Can't imagine removing the lens from my 1.5W 520nm and shining it at someone.
Also someone mentioned you edited your first post and no wonder why this first post reads so strange.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
In order of (personal) preference:

100-300 watt LED dazzler (10 to 35 thousand lumens)
pepper spray
big ass Tesla coil by the doorway with a remote control

I would rather be tried by a jury of 12 than carried to my grave by them.

They could easily try you and then send you to your grave, but if your life is threatened, what do you do but defend yourself, there are some countries where it is illegal to defend yourself, fortunately that is seldome the case in the U.S. Provided you feel your life is in immediate danger.

Wasp spray! :eek::scared::barf: I don't know what would be worse, wasp spray, a laser, or getting hit in the head with a maglite.

How about one of those 1 or 2 million candle power spotlights?

Alan

Hey Pi R Squared, those 1 or 2 million candle power spotlights are a beast and very bright to say the least. The one that I have gets darn hot also.

@ jander6442, I match the threat to me with the response level from myself. I do not like violence one bit and sure do not look for it. If they want to try to send me to my grave my response will be way above wasp spray. If they do a house invasion they are usually tweaked out on meth, crack, PCP or something similar. Therefore a 9mm, .22 or .308 is not going to do it. You physically have to shut their body down as their brain is too amped up to register pain at levels that would stop an average/normal person.

Hey Pi R Squared, those 1 or 2 million candle power spotlights are a beast and very bright to say the least. The one that I have gets darn hot also.

@ jander6442, I match the threat to me with the response level from myself. I do not like violence one bit and sure do not look for it. If they want to try to send me to my grave my response will be way above wasp spray. If they do a house invasion they are usually tweaked out on meth, crack, PCP or something similar. Therefore a 9mm, .22 or .308 is not going to do it. You physically have to shut their body down as their brain is too amped up to register pain at levels that would stop an average/normal person.

I don't want to get into the caliber debate, but I am certain of this: a gun, no matter what the common caliber, is able to stop anyone with the right shot placement, no exceptions. Guns are never to be treated like they couldn't kill someone. They all can and if you keep thinking like that you or someone else might get hurt.

You totally misunderstood what I wrote. Please reread it.
Somebody who is high on certain drugs can and do over ride pain that usually stops a person. I am talking about stopping them quickly, not killing them. Of course any caliber bullet can kill a person but when they are tweaked out it might take 2 or 3 minutes and by that time they can kill you and your whole family.
Do you hunt? I have put a 12 gauge slug through the heart of a deer and they turned and bolted up hill for over 50 yards before it went down.
Therefore I know what I am thinking and when a person is tweaked out on meth, crack, PCP or such and having a violent trip they turn into a cape buffalo. Try stopping a cape buffalo in its tracks immediately with a .22, 9mm or .308. All your going to do is get it mad as it takes something like a .375 or a .416 to stop it swiftly.
"Wet" and Wild: PCP's Horror Show | The Fix - Page 0
See the info about halfway down.

You totally misunderstood what I wrote. Please reread it.
Somebody who is high on certain drugs can and do over ride pain that usually stops a person. I am talking about stopping them quickly, not killing them. Of course any caliber bullet can kill a person but when they are tweaked out it might take 2 or 3 minutes and by that time they can kill you and your whole family.
Do you hunt? I have put a 12 gauge slug through the heart of a deer and they turned and bolted up hill for over 50 yards before it went down.
Therefore I know what I am thinking and when a person is tweaked out on meth, crack, PCP or such and having a violent trip they turn into a cape buffalo. Try stopping a cape buffalo in its tracks immediately with a .22, 9mm or .308. All your going to do is get it mad as it takes something like a .375 or a .416 to stop it swiftly.
"Wet" and Wild: PCP's Horror Show | The Fix - Page 0
See the info about halfway down.

No my point was that's not correct. Even if they're on drugs, a small bullet can take them down quickly, because guns aren't to be treated like they aren't lethal enough.

Last edited: