Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Holy @#$%... $100 488nm diode!!

DTR

I hope everyone takes a minute to send an email to these decietfull WANKER'S,
If they were in Australia I would even pay them a visit,

It's the least we can do!

I hope Jordan gets his money back, but isn't this all a dead issue?

Ventures like this here should be to further the knowledge of the community and we have yet to get their response. I said at the beginning of all this it is expected to take a hit now and then for progress and I accept that no problem. Taking the risk is the only way we move forward and losses are the nature of the beast. Getting the money back really should not be the focus at the moment. Getting them to explain their actions and if they can't or won't then to make sure they don't get an opportunity to do the same to anyone else is the best reason not to let it die and be swept under the rug.:beer:

Last edited:

Ventures like this here should be to further the knowledge of the community and we have yet to get their response. I said at the beginning of all this it is expected to take a hit now and then for progress and I accept that no problem. Taking the risk is the only way we move forward and losses are the nature of the beast. Getting the money back really should not be the focus at the moment. Getting them to explain their actions and if they can't or won't then to make sure they don't get an opportunity to do the same to anyone else is the best reason not to let it die and be swept under the rug.:beer:

Yes, that is a very noble sentiment and if this was an exception instead of a common occurrence, I would agree with you. But, this had scam written all over it from the beginning. A heretofore unavailable diode at an incredibly low price at a site that nobody knew anything about. These kinds of scams happen all the time and these people will drop out of sight and resurface at a totally new site offering another incredible deal. If they were the only ones doing this, it might be different, but they aren't. So, while you may all send emails and try to drive them from the marketplace, they, or someone just like them will pop up again and somebody will fall for it again.

DTR

Just got this. Now if this is the case they could have beleived they were sending me the correct product but they did take near a week to reply to this and originally said they were getting them directly from Osram. This could just be a shucks we got caught and this will not look good lets make it go away. Either way they did misrepresent their relationship with Osram at the very least, had horrible communication and missed their quoted lead time by near a month.

---------------------------------------------
Hello Jordan,

I am very sorry about what has happened here, I used a supplier I don’t usually buy from,

I will get you a refund in full,

I am very unhappy about what has happened here,

I hope you can understand this was not deliberate but an oversight on my part,

I hope you take this into consideration,

I will be taking this supplier to task over what has happened,

Kind regards,

James Filmer

Sales Director

Semicom Visual LTD

Semicom Visual | Provider of Industrial Computing and Displays, Control ICs and Laser Technology.

Tel: +44(0)1279 422224
-----------------------------------------------

Yeah he sent me an email also regretting what has happened and saying he spoke to you!

We will be notifying Osram about your dishonestly selling there counterfit products and claiming to be the 488nm Cyan diode, you have been blacklisted as a dishonest supplier of counterfeit laser diodes and it is in your best interest to make good this scam before we take this further!

Hello Bob,

I have spoken with Jordan about what has happened here, we are getting a refund and getting this supplier to confirm their actions,

I am very unhappy about this, it has been deceptive from the supplier we had used which had been true to their word in the past, but I cannot believe what has happened here,

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh, I didn't realise the company was so close to home. I live in Brentwood and their establishment is in Harlow 20 miles away. Still not possible for me to pay them a visit however. Based on their customer service, I would be disappointed. But it could be a genuine mistake. We will have to wait and see if he communicates the suppliers side of things.

Sta

Bad idea, if anything that will only make O* take measure against these diodes ever being sold to hobby users.

I think it was meant as an empty threat.

But regardless, still holding onto some hope that they might be able to get some real PLT5488 diodes, from another supplier.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Same. It would be a nice turn around if they are found to be legit and it was a genuine mistake. But I am not going to hold my breath.

Encap

Either way they did misrepresent their relationship with Osram at the very least, had horrible communication and missed their quoted lead time by near a month.

100% right

Semicom Visual LTD from what I can determine is not an Osram distributor on the Osram list of Distributors

I would let Osram know the entire episode and the fraud, hoax, or misreprentation , whatever you wan to call it that was perpetrated. It is not your job to find out the diodes shipped to you were not Osram 488nm diodes was Semicom Visual's job to be sure they were shippping the product they sold to you and you pre-paid them for. Semicom represented they were ordering them in from Osram and didn't do that.

Let this guy know about it all:
Sales Office
OSRAM Limited
OSRAM House
Waterside Drive, Langley, Berkshire SL3 6EZ
United Kingdom

Phone: +44 1744 812 221
Fax: +44 1753 484 118
E-Mail: paul.hatherall@osram-os.com

Copy everything also to:
OSRAM GmbH
Headquarters Germany
Marcel-Breuer-Straße 6
80807 Munich
Germany
Tel.: +49 89 6213-0
Fax: +49 89 6213-2020
E-Mail: contact@osram.com

and:
OSRAM Limited
Centrix House
26 Crow Lane East,
Newton-le-Willows, WA12 9UY
Great Britain
Tel.: +44 1925 273 360
www.osram.co.uk

What about your loss of business and loss of opportunity because of Semicon Visual's deceptions, sloth, and misrepresentations??
A refund is better than nothing but is still just giving you the finger in that light all this and your transfer of payment in advance mid-August.
You had them sold to other people who waited a long time-- doesn't matter if it was for cost or $800 each--they caused a bigger problem.
Semicomvisual was incompetent in every way possible and lied every step of the way and one could reasonably guess probably still are.
Is reasonable to believe they bought those bogus diodes and shipped them to you thinking you would not know better/the difference.

Bad idea, if anything that will only make O* take measure against these diodes ever being sold to hobby users.

Good thought but is not a consideration here--they are $1000 each from many suppliers + no indication of use is required to by Osram or their sales agents + no hobbists use them at this point and they have been available since 2014.
Semicomvisual is not a an Osarm distrib and even worse if they are, they bought garbage from China and delivered it as Osram product.

I think it was meant as an empty threat.

But regardless, still holding onto some hope that they might be able to get some real PLT5488 diodes, from another supplier.

What other supplier? All that is required to buy some is to be willing to pay the going market price.

$100each is the daydream based upon what they sell for everywhere else on the planet.

What happened is what happens when you chase a low price daydream from an unknown unproven supplier with no stock of the product who requires you to pre-pay, funding his business, as if a silly low price situation could be reality.

Too good to be true usually is.

Last edited:

DTR

100% right

Semicom Visual LTD from what I can determine is not an Osram distributor on the Osram list of Distributors

no indication of use is required to by them + no hobbists use them at this point and they have been available since 2014.

they bought garbage from China and delivered it as Osram product. Too good to be true usually is.

To be fair and clear they don't claim or at least never did to me to be an authorized distributor. You can buy direct from Osrams distribution channels and resell without the coveted designation of a authorized distributor. They just claimed they buy from Osram not some third part china seller.

Yep Osram does not have the same strict end product authorization requirement that N***** has. I have a Osram rep I chat with now and then and could buy from if they ever gave a competitive quote.

Oh yea regardless if they were a authorized reseller, a customer that buys and resells or a person that acquires from a third party and resells they would have legal recourse against anyone selling a product with their branding that was not genuine. China sellers may be able to get away with that as it can be difficult in most cases to go after trademark infringement in China but in Europe or here in the US there are strong trademark enforcement policies.

Yep beware of a good deal. But you do have to sometimes go out there or you will never find out for sure. I would expect this and have been much more hesitant if this had been some seller on Alibaba or something like that but a company in England with a fairly decent looking site and a very wide range of products it seemed worth a try.

Last edited:
Its hard for me to make the choice to either believe semicom for their alleged use of a different distributor or to see through that they were just covering their assets for fraudulent activity. In my opinion I think their excuse is a bit of a red herring. In the end, DTR is getting a full refund (and keeping the diodes?) which is paramount in this entire scheme, but semicom did waste all of our time and energy which should not be taken lightly. Semicom most likely deceived us and DTR so unless they can assure delivery of 488nm diodes then we should add them to the blacklist.

Encap

To be fair and clear they don't claim or at least never did to me to be an authorized distributor. You can buy direct from Osrams distribution channels and resell without the coveted designation of a authorized distributor. They just claimed they buy from Osram not some third part china seller.

Yep Osram does not have the same strict end product authorization requirement that N***** has. I have a Osram rep I chat with now and then and could buy from if they ever gave a competitive quote.

Oh yea regardless if they were a authorized reseller, a customer that buys and resells or a person that acquires from a third party and resells they would have legal recourse against anyone selling a product with their branding that was not genuine. China sellers may be able to get away with that as it can be difficult in most cases to go after trademark infringement in China but in Europe or here in the US there are strong trademark enforcement policies.

Yep beware of a good deal. But you do have to sometimes go out there or you will never find out for sure. I would expect this and have been much more hesitant if this had been some seller on Alibaba or something like that but and a very wide range of products it seemed worth a try.

To be fair and clear, Osram distributor, dealer or not Semicom is damaging Osram's name, reputation, and product using them as a front for a Chinese smoke and mirrors deception operation. Semicom in every way possible - web site, sales correspondence, invoice and pre-payment, and delivery represented they could and would supply you with genuine Osram PLT5 488 diode product. I mean look at their web site page: PLT5-488 : Semicom Visual. How is it possible to guess otherwise? They never indicated that you would receive other than Osram PLT5 488 did they??

The luke warm/semi-good news as you have mentioned is that you are able to get a full refund without a lot of headache, however, I would hold their feet to the fire a bit as you trusted them because they were a "company in England with a fairly decent looking site" as you say. You pre-paid in advance for genuine Osram PLT5 488 product promised by Semicom. You were in no way expecting or prepared to receive the Chinese flim-flam 2 step bogus diodes via Semicom that they shipped to you nor were youtaking that chance willingly when ordering and pre-paying the order which amounts to funding their business.

I would thank them for their refund offer proposal but tell I want the product I pre-paid an order for, funding Semicom's business, 6 weeks prior to delivery that Semicom undertook to supply and which Semicom said they would call/order in from Osram. Tell you promised them to customers with all the damage to name, reputation, and business not being able to do so implies. It is simply is not acceptable to not be able to deliver the Osram PLT5 488 diode.
Semicom Visual is must deliver what they promised to deliver in every way possible to encourage and effect the sale to you of Osram PLT5 488 diodes - on their web site, in sales correspondence, in invoicing and payment. They need to make it right. Is not just a matter of a refund and "oh well".
It was not a retail sale of a diode to an end user like a tie that was the wrong color. It was a business to business supply purchase with domestic and intenational business customers of yours time and money on the line and Semicom represented they were ordering them in from Osram to deliver to you and didn't which was lie/a deception/ a gross misrepresentation. They knew exactly what they were doing.
They didn't say in advance of shipping that you would be receiving what you receved did they? That is outright deception bordering on theft by deception as they knew exactly what they were doing.

It is Semicom's cross to bear the cost and problem to solve--it is not your problem. The customer is always right, especailly a customer who has pre-paid and should not be made your problem. You performed 110% on your end in good faith. As you say England is England, not a backroom in China.

Semicom Visual needs to apologize to you and to the LPF members, who posted 444 posts on this thread ,for letting them down and wasting their time.

Remember John Cleese's apology in A Fish Called Wanda?
It was a vey funny film and well done. It comes to mind in this situation this because, if the actual facts have been presented here, it has all been so unnecessarily pure folly what was done and let so many sincere laser building LPF members and enthusiasts down.

I have modified/adapted the apology to suit the situation in attempt to bring some humor and persepctiveto the situation.
Semicom Visul Limited needs to say in writing - somethng like this, as follows:
"Semicom Visual is really really sorry. Semicom apologizes unreservedly and offers a complete and utter rectification by supplying the genuine Osram PLT5 488 diodes promised and sold. Semicom Visuals imputation that it was the fault of a Chinese supplier was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and Semicom deeply regrets any distress it's business practices, representations, and comments may have caused you, your customers, and LPF members, and Semicom hereby undertakes not to repeat any such hoax/misrepresetation at any time in the future and to supply the Osram product promised and pre-paid for by you, to you in good faith."

Seriously,
Semicom Visual Limited should make it right by supplying the diodes promised at the price quoted and pre-paid + apologize to both you, members of LPF who posted 444 posts, viewed 13,278 times and to viewers of LPF.

I hope Semicom Visual does the right thing and makes good their word and representations re: the order.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gabe

Agreed, but I think it's safe to say that will not be happening any time soon, especially at the price that warranted the start of this thread.

DTR

Well after that last message on 10/7 I posted about they seem to have gone dark on replying again. No refund yet and no return to any of my messages.