Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hmpf, almost got busted by a fellow "laserist" ^_>

ixfd64

There was a dance at my school last night, and I brought my laser to it, like always.

The cool part is that I met another laser enthusiast at the dance who knew a lot about lasers. (He used to have a high-powered portable, I think.) I asked him what company he got his laser from but he couldn't remember because it was over a decade ago.

The not-so-cool part is that said laser enthusiast didn't seem to trust me with the laser. He kept telling me that I should be careful, and that he would turn me in to the cops if he saw me using the laser in an unsafe manner. However, his attitude implied that he would report me just for having the laser out. I'll admit that I would get a little nervous if I saw someone else with a high-powered laser, but I woudn't get too worried unless I actually see them misusing the laser.

Has anyone here ever had a similar experience?

Re: Hmpf, almost got busted by a fellow "laserist"

ixfd64 said:
There was a dance at my school last night, and I brought my laser to it, like always.

The cool part is that I met another laser enthusiast at the dance who knew a lot about lasers. (He used to have a high-powered portable, I think.) I asked him what company he got his laser from but he couldn't remember because it was over a decade ago.

The not-so-cool part is that said laser enthusiast didn't seem to trust me with the laser. He kept telling me that I should be careful, but his attitude implied that he would turn me in to the cops if he saw me using the laser in an unsafe manner. I'll admit that I would get a little nervous if I saw someone else with a high-powered laser, but I woudn't get too worried unless I actually see them misusing the laser.

I know a few people who have lasers but they seam to think that a 10mW red is high power. Until they saw my collection that is.

I would be the same though, a room full of people and someone you have never met has a high powered laser that can easily blind people. I think I would be a little nervous of them having it.

I agree with lamborgini8 completely.

JLSE

What a nerd, was he trying to protray daddy? You should of told him where to go. :-?

daguin

wannaburn said:
What a nerd, was he trying to protray daddy? You should of told him where to go. :-?

If you antagonize frightened people they lash out or run for help.

Learn to smile and walk away. You can get away with alot more this way [smiley=evil.gif]

Peace,
dave

JLSE

I could understand if someone had said something because our fellow member was using it recklessly. But for a simple coversation to go in that direction? I would be insulted and react as such.
If your a responsible person, sharing enthusiasm, there is nothing to hide. Only a meathead would make a point of saying to you 'im telling'.

My guess is that this guy was older, which makes him more of a meathead ;)

wannaburn said:
I could understand if someone had said something because our fellow member was using it recklessly. But for a simple coversation to go in that direction? I would be insulted and react as such.
If your a responsible person, sharing enthusiasm, there is nothing to hide. Only a meathead would make a point of saying to you 'im telling'.

Sounds about right to me.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

wannaburn said:

that's pretty much how i'd feel, it really irks me when people say stuff like "im gonna tell on you if you do anything bad"

ixfd64 said:

The not-so-cool part is that said laser enthusiast didn't seem to trust me with the laser. He kept telling me that I should be careful, and that he would turn me in to the cops if he saw me using the laser in an unsafe manner. However, his attitude implied that he would report me just for having the laser out. I'll admit that I would get a little nervous if I saw someone else with a high-powered laser, but I woudn't get too worried unless I actually see them misusing the laser.

No but the guy is a dck, just tell him to stop acting like a pssy and trust you.

With great laser power comes responsibility.
It's OK to groove about and fire your laser in public, just don't fire it into anyones eyes while your playing.
The nannystate is creeping about out there :)

See lasers are bad for you, they attract would be super hero's, but really the way you make it sound he was power tripping. Like when someone in High School finds out a secret about you they try and hold it over you.... if i was being threatened i would just tell them to shut up. (its probably a bluff and they want to be ghey)

Ace82

Yeah, seems like a power tripper, whom of which are mostly governed from their own fears. Yes, I've ran into people who think they need to "teach" me the dangers of lasers, although they know nothing about them whatsoever! I would have exercised Dave's approach "Hey man, I'll be right back..." yeah right!

I've run into quite a few people like this in my lifetime. I usually just say flat-out that I will not do anything irresponsible with said object and that there is no reason to bust me for using something safely.

Threatening to call the cops? Really? That's pretty bad...

-Mark

daguin said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1223033651/0#3 date=1223048846]What a nerd, was he trying to protray daddy? You should of told him where to go. :-?

If you antagonize frightened people they lash out or run for help.

Learn to smile and walk away.  You can get away with alot more this way  [smiley=evil.gif]

Peace,
dave[/quote]

haha i like dave so much....so smart, and he always gives the best advice. listen to him.

Dave has infinite wisdom ;D