Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Highspeed 445nm lighting matches

Things

Since I rebuilt my 445nm box build, I have bought a new camera, a Fuji HS10 :D

Been mucking around doing all sorts of highspeed video's, so thought I'd try some lasers too.

Cheers,
Dan

DTR

Nice. Love high speed video. How long of a video can you take at 1000fps?

The problem with 1000 fps and HS10 is that the resolution is only 224 x 64 pixels. You can record up to 30 seconds (real time) in this mode.

Anyway, 6 months ago the best you could buy that could do 1000fps would cost you over US$10K.

Regina

Benm

1000 fps is quite impressive - i think the low resolution has to do with the amount of light - it combines light from a large number of pixels on the sensor to produce the video.

Professional high speed cameras require huge amounts of light to produce the fancy pictures you see on discovery and such.

I could be fast enough to get some interesting shots of balloons popping - just give it a go!

Very cool video! Watching the gas and smoke slo-mo escaping from the flame-up reaction is what I most appreciate.

Cheers!

-Scott

Things

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread, school work burried me under :(

Yes, the resolution at 1000FPS is quite low, and requires a lot of light. On the 1000FPS video, the laser looks dim, however in person it was unbearable to look at.

The reason the resolution decreases as the frame rate increases is simply processing power and current technology. The 30 second highspeed limit is also because of this.

At 1000FPS, the camera has to, well, record 1000 images per second. Since it's not possible to write to a SD card that fast, it uses internal storage. Once the video is done, it takes it from internal storage and dumps it on the SD card.

The highspeed cameras used by programs like Timewarp and Mythbusters are multi thousand dollar camera's, that have extremely fast data storage devices. This allows them to capture frames at much higher resolution.

However, we are comparing a $400-650 camera to a $10,000+ highspeed camera, of course it's gonna be no match, but it's fine for hobbyist use. 120FPS mode is perfectly useable VGA resolution.

Neat! I love the way you can only see the beam as an occasional dust particle passes through; looks almost like the match is igniting itself. That really is an impressive amount of power!

Not bad but not as professional as the video posted by millirad on the tracking and identification demo threat of the laser mosquito killer,...;)