Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High Power Laser Pointer

Hello,
I am looking for a very high quality, battery powered, green laserpointer obove 500mW.

Now, there are quite a few Lasers with avereage output of 500mW out there. Can someone tell me about the different quality standards?

I just can't descide from reading the different manufacturer homepages. Cause every manufacturer sees there own product as the best......

Hope someone can help me with letting me know, whitch highpower laserpointer with 500mW has the best quality standards...

There might be a few that have held different lasers in there own hand and can feel the difference of quality.

You can send me a pm if you like.....

I would be so thankfull for some answeres.
Greetings, Joe

If you just need a "portable" unit, you could get a Hercules 500 from LaserGlow:http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?hercules The Herc is well, really big. People aren't kidding when they say that some lab units are smaller than it!
It's very difficult to get 500mW of green in a smaller host...the closest you could get from a reliable seller and still be usable for pointing would be an RPL 425 from Optotronics: http://www.optotronics.com/rpl-green-lasers.php
Viasho is the supplier for Opto, and CNI is the supplier for LaserGlow-both are good companies.
Both are battery operated. RPL's occasionally peak in the 500mW range. A member on here has one that peaks at 700mW-which was an RPL 375, but I wouldn't count on that happening again.

LRMNmeyer is right, those are very high-quality lasers from what I have heard, and are very reliable.

I would not, however, trust companies like Warnlaser or other cheap Chinese suppliers as their lasers usually leak IR and are not nearly as powerful as advertised. Laserglow and Optotronics are definitely excellent companies.

Also, you could consider talking to Laser-Wave or CNI directly. It would be very expensive, but you would also get an excellent laser.

I'm just wondering, what do you need a portable green laser with such high power for?

-Mark

Thanks for the fast response.

You say that RPL 425 Peaks over 700mW. Is there a possibility, that the Hercules 500 does that too?
Whitch one burns through paper faster, if you would compare these two units?

I see a big price difference aswell. Is there a benefit with the hercules 500?

ps, Nice Corvette!!!!!

greetings. Joe

ixfd64

Hey, welcome to LPF!

By the way, I saw you post at Laser Community as well. I would recommend against buying any lasers from Wicked Lasers since that company is known for being dishonest.

what you want is average not peak my rpl 375 averages 388 it goes up to 500 at times then down to 275 at times but after being warmed up near 400  go with Optotronics  300 or better youll love it

John Laser Lawson

Attachments

• 100_0382.jpg
    100_0382.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 4,293
Hey Guys.
This forum really rocks. I appreciate it very mutch, that you can write freely without any restrictions....very,very cool....  ;)

I was wondering. Some answeres I have recieved are about the 375mW Lasers whitch have a higher output, around 450mW and 500mW or even more.
That is way cool....
What about for example an RTP 500 or a Hercules 500? If a 375mw Laser pointer has an average of approx. 500mW somtimes, how many mWatt would then a Hercules 500mW have? More?

Cause I could spend around 9000 Us dollars. It doesn't have to be a "cheeper" solution.

If the big price difference between a Hercules and the other products would just make a very little difference in quality or output power, I would even go for the more expensive solution.

Can someone write something about the 500mW lasers?

But thankyou for all the answeres.
I slowly get the feeling of good companies and the less good ones...thanks to your posts.....

greetings to all of you, Joe

ixfd64

It's not uncommon for a high-end Hercules laser to peak over 600 mW. One member said that his went over 800 mW. According to the 2009 Guinness Book of World Records, it can potentially go up to 1 W.

Hey,
that sounds very interesting.....

Then everything speaks for Laserglow.....
Is it possible to adjust the Hercules 500 so it has more output? That eventually a higher peak is possible?
But I guess that the longlivity of the Laser will decrease.
Is that true?
And what could potentialy break? The diode?

I guess I can let Laserglow make a 500mW Laserpointer with the wish of a high peak I guess.............

Greetings, Joe

camaro67 said:
Hey,
that sounds very interesting.....

Then everything speaks for Laserglow.....
Is it possible to adjust the Hercules 500 so it has more output? That eventually a higher peak is possible?

Why would you drop <$3000 on a hercules and modify it? Unless you have several grand lying around, I would recommend against it... The peak power of a laser is not exactly controllable, some lasers peak more than others.

But I guess that the longlivity of the Laser will decrease.

Yes, you will decrease the lifetime of the laser and void the warranty by modding the laser

Is that true?
And what could potentialy break? The diode?

Unless you drop it or abuse it, It shouldn't break

I guess I can let Laserglow make a 500mW Laserpointer with the wish of a high peak I guess.............

Greetings, Joe

I would think that they might try to find a freak that is more powerful than the rest if you give them a "premium"

If I remember correctly, the RPL peaked at 700mW with 2 CR123a batteries rather than the 18650 its supposed to run on. This voids the warranty and can be potentially fatal for the lasers.

Some advantages to the Herc from Laserglow:
It has a user accessible potentiometer so you can turn up the power if you want (However, the pot is already set to the most stable setting for the highest power with the longest run time)
It can be run with a mains power supply as well as batteries.
It has an automatic shut down feature that turns off the laser if it starts to overheat.
It uses a fan inside the large heatsink for better cooling.
100% duty cycle.
You can get the X10DR beam expander for a discounted price when you purchase it with the laser.

They only list up to their Hercules 400 on the site, but you can contact them and ask for higher powered models.

Ok Guys,
I really thank you all for the great help.
So I really guess that Laserglow is the most trusfull company in high output lasers.

One last question though...
I have recieved an email from Techlasers.
They would make a 600mW laserpointer with an average of 580mW and 620mW for half the price of a Hercules 500. And they have mentioned, that their quality is the same as Laserglow and Dragonlasers, cause they purchase the diodes from the same manufacturer.

Is there still a difference in your opinions? I would be thankfull for a few last answeres.

Otherwise I will stick rather with Laserglow (Herculese 500). Then I have never read a bad post about them considering high output lasers...

Thanks a lot...
greetings, Joe

Laserglow is the best choice. Techlasers is just like DX, gamble. Avoid TL the cheap way aint the solution.

Woot my goggles at customs
-Greg

camaro67 said:
Ok Guys,
I really thank you all for the great help.
So I really guess that Laserglow is the most trusfull company in high output lasers.

One last question though...
I have recieved an email from Techlasers.
They would make a 600mW laserpointer with an average of 580mW and 620mW for half the price of a Hercules 500. And they have mentioned, that their quality is the same as Laserglow and Dragonlasers, cause they purchase the diodes from the same manufacturer.

Is there still a difference in your opinions? I would be thankfull for a few last answeres.

Otherwise I will stick rather with Laserglow (Herculese 500). Then I have never read a bad post about them considering high output lasers...

Thanks a lot...
greetings, Joe
they're trying to cheat you. just go with LaserGlow. rule of thumb is, if you wanna get a complete-set high quality high-powered laser, go with what i call "The Big Four". NOVALasers, DragonLasers, LaserGlow and Optotronics. cheaper alternatives like SkyLasers and from some members in this forum are fine as well. but it's just that that "The Big Four" have extra goodies (discounts/memberships) and also better reputation.

sorry for stealing your thread, but coming to this topic, i would like to ask if Sandstone11 higher-powered green laser pointers are good?