Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey everyone! Greetings from the UK.

Hey everyone on LPF!

I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now so I guess its time I introduced myself!

My name is Simon, I'm from the UK. (Northampton) and am 26 years old. I have reciently got into lasers again, last time i had one was when i was 13-14 or something, i had a couple of cheap key chain reds at that age, and was facinated with them. (Though my mum wasnt to pleased... haha.)

A Little background about myself...

So as i said above, i had a couple of cheapo lasers when i was a kid. i remember one i had was real bright but had awuful divergance.

Soooo.... 12-13 years later my facination was resparked when my mate brought round a laser level guide. I have a kitten, maybe 4 months old. so i started looking on ebay for a cheap laser to play with him. found one for £1.69 or something. its the 2-in-1 led laser keychain looks very much like the first item in "green lasers" on DX. cheap but cheerful!

It arrived about 4 days later. and the cat LOVES it. chases it like its on fire! And I'm having fun as well, i am using 4 of the button batteries. seems to give it a bit more power. Though there is a LOT of fuzz around the dot. And i also dropped it on to laminate flooring, which i think knocked it out a little.... when you look at the dot from3-4 meters away there is swirls around the dot.(like fingerprint kinda pattern.) But for the price, i really don't care.
I also removed the button for the LED, (who cares about them anyhoo...) AND the LED its self. The diode is focusable from a little black ring on the end. I figured this out AFTER i dropped it... :/ But it makes a difference.

So i started looking for forums on the good-ol Internet. (there's gotta be a forum for EVERYTHING on here!) and out of the 3-4 main forums, this is the only really active one i think. and have been reading up as much as i can. i feel i have learned a lot so far, and have a long way to go yet. Already been eying up an old lappy DVD burner that's busted.....make a cheap driver. and have a play...but not just yet....

So, the obvious next step in this hobby......532nm! spent a while looking on the different sites for something cheap to play with. and settled on the DX True 20mW for $13.90 or something. about £8.50 sterling. about the same price as the 1mW units on ebay.co.uk. and put the order in on Friday evening. then ordered a cheap red pen style laser for $2.72. that's less than £2 in the uk! I can spent that a day on energy drinks... I know DX takes at least a week or two to ship, maybe more. so Im now patiently waiting for those to come in....

I have seen a green pointer very briefly maybe a year ago. ant it looked awesome. Green is my favorite color so cant wait to get the True 20mW in. I will be playing with it for weeks no doubt! I'm quite happy just hitting the wall and staring at the beam.... (mmmmm pretty colors!) I don't want anything more powerful for fear of blinding myself...;) I can just about see the beam on my key chain red with a little smoke in the air, but only just....

Some of you guys have awesome looking units. the Jyrob builds seem real good.

Urm, that about it for now. just wanna say thanks for all the great information provided by you guys, and gals. This is THE laser info source.

Peace out
Si

Dusty

Hey man, welcome from a fellow UK member, there are loads of helpful people here, and plenty of useful information in the stickies...:D

Hello Si, & welcome to the family. Read all that you can, 'cause just about every question you can think of, has already been asked & answered somewhere on the Forum. I think I'll beat ol' JERRY here & tell ya that the "SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND". PS.........you have a PM..............rob

Thanks for the welcome guys! I cant wait to get stuck right in!

Ive already abused the search button a fair bit. Dont worry!

Off to bed now. Will chat more tomorrow!

Peace out

Si

welcome.gif
to the Forum...
I won;t need to say more....:cool:

@ phoenix77....:gj::D

Jerry

Why THANKS JERRY. Just helpin' spread the good word.................rob

Thanks again everone for the kind welcomes! I hope eveyone is having fun with the lasers! I know i am!

Seems the red laser pen i orded from DX has gone to the "packaging" status in the order tracking thing, the green 20mW is still "order received - in stock". so the red one is on the move. :) Wonder how much longer for the greeny.

also, I mentioned about the fuss around the dot. I cleaned it with a thin paint brush, and its much better, wish i could get a micro-fibre cloth in there...

Si

Welcome to LPF! DX can be slow, but you'll get the product. As you may have read, o-like is good, also rayfoss and several others.

hey Billg, i see lots of good things about O-like. Great customer service! I havent really checked the Rayfross page out yet. I will do later today.

Welcome to the forum Si, there's tons of info around here!
I see you come from the UK, I have a number of relatives over there, however I've lost contact with them over the years sadly...I'll have to see if I can track them down and fly over there to see them again (once I have the money to lol).

Anyway, have fun!

Hey IceNoise, A great little device for cleaning lenses that works quite well is LENSPEN, MINI-PRO. They do a good job at cleaning the lenses on ANY optics, lasers, telescopes, cameras, binoculars, Etc. Somebody did a review on these, so use your 'FRIEND' "THE SEARCH BUTTON" (thanks Jerry), & read up on it. Under $10.00 USD...............rob

You should definitely try and get in contact with Them! its always good to have family abroad.

Both lasers ar enow "shipped" from DX. :) so were getting there.

I aslo have a couple of different types of batteries to test out. I got a pair of Energiser lithium AAA from Wilkinson's for £1:90 or so. by far the cheapest i have found them.

I also got a Uniross battery charger with 4 AA 2100Mah. (for the wii.) for £5:99 And 4 Encore AAA 1000Mha for £4, both from Netto. Ill also grab a pair of Duracell AAA from the 99p store. As they have always been my choice in the past. And if i can afford it, some Energizer rechargeable 1000Mha. So I will probably do some kind of review or something for that.

Peace.

Si

roosl

Welcome, indeed!

This is an awesome place to play (I should logoff and go play with my laser!), and just full of enlightening posts, helpful info and good folks.

Enjoy-