Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help sourcing XML emitter?

At high (direct drive) I would estimate about 4-6A when fully charged. But this depends on the resistance of the switch, spring, and contacts as well. The highest I've been able to reach was 4.5A with my Trustfire cells.

Cheers for checking that. Just ordered a driver!

BTW Did you see the switch mod here for my poppas light. Until it was changed I only got just over 2 A, but afterwards the full 3 A. :)

Edit: Didnt change the spring or circular contact disk because these were plated with, I think, silver and made a very good contact. Also if you need better switches, Sinner used Judoco switches in his Magic sticks and I believe these were rated to either 5 or 10 A - will just check...

Edit 2. Was a JudcoSwitch J-188, but still not sure of the current...

Last edited:

well i'm going to give that driver a shot. i'm going to have them add it to my order before they ship it out.

well i'm going to give that driver a shot. i'm going to have them add it to my order before they ship it out.

Have you thought about solder paste? Im still trying to work out what to buy. I've seen a few cheap ones on Fasttech and DX, but Im not sure whether they would be any good. Any ideas? :beer:

well didn't someone recommend a good one in the other tread?? I'll be having to get some here soon as i find a copper board for a XM-L2 to go on but until then I'm going to use the XM-L2 already pre mounted and change it out later. I'm kinda just gathering parts right now.

but as it stands i plan on making my first P60 drop in for the solar force L2P with these items.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1189701
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1164600
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1127403
And possible pigbacking another 1/2 AMC7135's

then i plan on one drop in with these
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1277804
http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.s020073
or
$3.07 3V~5V 5-Mode LED Flashlight Direct-Drive Driver Circuit (East-092) - 17mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I've already got 1 L2P and 2 more on the way.

Last edited:
Nice shopping list! ;)

Ive found the XM-L2 U2 emitters here, but they wont be in stock until sometime in April. Hmm U2 or T6..:eg:

well didn't someone recommend a good one in the other tread??

Yeah, but it was quite pricey around $15. I dont mind spending that if its good/ necessary, but I was just wondering whether the cheap pastes would do the same thing?

Don't forget aluminum foil! Best to flatten foil out after cutting piece. I use a plastic card and flatten it on a table, and then carefully wrap around to ensure as few wrinkles as possible. Doing this lets me double the amount of aluminum I can fit into the gap. More aluminum means more metal-to-metal contact points means less thermal "resistance."

Don't forget aluminum foil! Best to flatten foil out after cutting piece. I use a plastic card and flatten it on a table, and then carefully wrap around to ensure as few wrinkles as possible. Doing this lets me double the amount of aluminum I can fit into the gap. More aluminum means more metal-to-metal contact points means less thermal "resistance."

Sorry but where exactly? :thinking:

you can get them here and there in stock. don't forget your coupon code "TENOFF" to save 5%

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003889/1277800-cree-xm-l2-t6-1c-10w-6500k-1052lm-led-emitter

That's the T6 not U2 version. The one I linked is the XM-L2 U2!;) :beer:

Ahh I didnt notice it was the U2 you where looking for. Is there a big difference? Color.

I think it might be time to start a dump all flashlight tread.

Ahh I didnt notice it was the U2 you where looking for. Is there a big difference? Color.

No tints are the same 1C and 6500 K. I think its just the efficiency of the different bins. As the XM-L2 T6 is equivalent to the XML U3, it should mean that the XM-L2 U2 will give more output...;)

I think it might be time to start a dump all flashlight tread.

You could be right...:gun: :beer:

Last edited:
Right on I think I'll be quite happy with these ones I'm building as there going to be outperforming those $10 flashlights I've been buying. I've also got knock off of the one you did your review on coming as well so I might modify a couple of these cheap flashlights and see what happens.

You wrap your drop-in with foil to improve the ability of the system to move heat from the drop-in to outside the host.

Don't laugh until you've tried it yourself. From room temp, see how long it takes for the light's head to heat up. Then, try same experiment with the drop-in wrapped in foil. You will find that the head heats up more quickly, which is a sign that more heat is making its way from the LED to the outside.

OK I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tip. I was kinda looking at that today wondering how this L2P might not be as efficient as one with a screw in pill.

You wrap your drop-in with foil to improve the ability of the system to move heat from the drop-in to outside the host.

Don't laugh until you've tried it yourself. From room temp, see how long it takes for the light's head to heat up. Then, try same experiment with the drop-in wrapped in foil. You will find that the head heats up more quickly, which is a sign that more heat is making its way from the LED to the outside.

Ah ok got it, drop-ins...thought you were talking about the emitters!;) Thanks for the tip :beer:

Last edited:

craney

Hey I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet (just skimmed through thread), but someone on BLF posted this link earlier...XM-L2 U2s on copper PCBs:

CREE XM-L2 U2 on Copper PCB by LED-TECH.de

If tint is a concern, I know you can get neutral (5000k) XM-L2 bare emitters on mouser. I think they were around $6-7 a piece. Reflowing them isn't hard.

If you just want something cheap and easy, I have found that the neutral XM-L T6s on fasttech have a very nice color to them. That's what I have in my L2P right now with the 2.8 A nanjg fasttech driver. A little under-driven maybe, but p60 hosts aren't great at heatsinking anyways

+ rep to you my man!! thats just what i'm looking for. i've got 1 L2P already and 2 more on the way. theres a link above for them for like $16. but i've got a very similar build in mind and i think you just found me the Emitter that i want!!! Thanks.

Crap after Shipping it's like $20+ dollars. know of anywhere else that might carry these in the states or china.

Last edited: