Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help I am new, and lost in this wonderful arena, can someone point me in the right d

Hello, I am a newby to this site and lasers in general. I am a big fan of LED flashlights and may be able to provide insight if the need ever arises. I aplogize if I am in the wrong place. I have a couple of questions.
1) I want a laser pointer, I would like a 15 to 30 mw. I am seeing them on Amazon for about 15 dollars for the 30 mw one. They are advertising 120.00 off regular price. Seems fishy
2) Is green in fact the best for optical play time? I understand that blue is the highest of the spectrum (hence Blu-Ray), but I understand that Green should be OK.
3) What should I expect to pay for a decent 15 (or so) mw pointer. This, being my first one, I just want a toy. I would like one better than what I can find at the convenient store down the street.
Thank-you in advance, I hope to fit in here.

Christian

Hello, I am a newby to this site and lasers in general. I am a big fan of LED flashlights and may be able to provide insight if the need ever arises. I aplogize if I am in the wrong place. I have a couple of questions.
1) I want a laser pointer, I would like a 15 to 30 mw. I am seeing them on Amazon for about 15 dollars for the 30 mw one. They are advertising 120.00 off regular price. Seems fishy

If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

2) Is green in fact the best for optical play time? I understand that blue is the highest of the spectrum (hence Blu-Ray), but I understand that Green should be OK.

Green is the most visible of all lasers since the human eye is most sensitive to green. If you have a green and a red pointer, both 10mW, the green will appear many times brighter.

3) What should I expect to pay for a decent 15 (or so) mw pointer. This, being my first one, I just want a toy. I would like one better than what I can find at the convenient store down the street.
Thank-you in advance, I hope to fit in here.

For this, you need to do some searching. Here's a thread that might help.

Christian

Welcome to the forum..hope this helps!

Nomad

Welcome to the forum! I'm still a noob but I have learned a thing or two from these folk! Hope you find the experience as beneficial as I have but not so impoverishing!

WoW ! thanx people, I appreciate the warm response. I am really in to LED flashlights, but I have secretly been wanting a decent laser pointer, why? I sure don't know. I may just go ahead and purchase the 15 dollar elcheapo from Amazon. I know this probably is not a good one, but it will hopefully be better than the 12 year old one I got at the school carnival. I will have a look at those links now Thank-you!

Take a look at the LedShoppe lasers. They are much better than what you'll get from Amazon. The only negative is the ship time. They come from China, so two weeks is about the norm. Customer service is reputed to be excellent, though I haven't had need of it yet.

Thanx for your deviant answer! I tried their site and cannot get in. I will try from home..How hard will it be to get something OVER 5 mw sent to Florida??