Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello LPF

I'm new to lasers. I'm primarily interested in small handheld green lasers for use in competitive shooting. 5mW green laser pointers are fairly inadequate for outdoor use in direct sunlight so the wheels have been turning in my head.

Welcome Sweatpants :)
Aha first you sign up as member, and a year later you'll have a dozen high output lasers of all wavelengths. My prediction :beer:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
:wave: Welcome to the Forum....
A question... What so Sweet about your Pants...;)

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Encap

Welcome and enjoy the forum.
Use the LPF search function to access the LPF database for answers to many questions . Remember safety use and laser goggles to protect you eyes comes first.

You would need several Watts of laser output to see the beam in direct sunlight. Unless you A) don't want something handheld and B) have several thousand dollars to spend, you're not going to get something with a visible beam in direct sunlight. see thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/f45/visible-daylight-100083.html

Spend some time studying this site for an education on laser safety: Laser Pointer Safety - A comprehensive resource, for safe and responsible laser use

Lasers over 5mW are illegal to sell in USA so....
"FDA regulates all laser products, even handheld, battery-powered lasers that are available for purchase FROM manufacturers, importers, assemblers, dealers or distributors in the United States and its territories. FDA requires that manufacturers of these lasers limit the power of the laser light to 5 milliWatts (often abbreviated as "mW") or less. Do not purchase a handheld, battery-powered laser labeled with hazard Class IIIb, Class IV, Class 1M, Class 2M, Class 3B or Class 4 unless the manufacturer has an approval from FDA (called a "variance") to allow the purchase. Lasers approved for purchase in these classes often have very specific uses and may be sold under certain conditions known to the manufacturer. Sales without a variance, or sales that violate the conditions of the variance, ARE ILLEGAL."
see: https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm302664.htm

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF! :beer:
Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay!

Encap pretty much summed it up rather well; additionally it's considered good practice to add your general location to your profile, as it helps us answer your questions. :D

BobMc

Welcome to the forum, if you would, put your location ( general ) in your signature. (At least where you claim from) . :crackup:

Enjoy and be safe. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

For outdoor pointing in direct sunlight you’ll need a lot of power, even with 532nm’s. You’ll start to get a visible beam around 1W to 2W, and even then, it’ll be quite dim! :)

-Alex

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Do you need to see the beam for competitive shooting Alex? Otherwise people would have to install these onto their guns. :p

P8275484.jpg

A nice 10W unit should do the trick. :D

But to have a bright spot in daylight, you'd need around 50mW exceeding the safe limit by 10x. You shouldn't use Class 3B/4's for gun sights, and they will be disallowed in the competitions too I gather. ;)
Better to stick with those 5mW's IMO.

Last edited: