Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Knoxville, need some tips :)

Hello! I am Mesonychoteuthis and I am new to this forum, with some questions for you guys. I have been lurking for a while now and am interested in purchasing my first laser. I just want one for fun, to use at night for stars and to play with. I don't necessarily need to cut anything.

Here is what I like so far:
(they are cheap and seem good)

green laser

blue/violet laser

I like those, I think..
The only laser pointer I have owned was from a gas station. It was like $2 and came with a bunch of heads that made the laser a different pattern. As you guys can see I'm not looking for anything serious. Please let me know any recommendations.

ALSO! What safety precautions do I need to use? I love my eyes!!

-Mesonychoteuthis

Welcome !

I am a novice on this forum, but i'll share my point of view :

You want a nice beam but not a burning one, you should take a green laser (which is more visible than other colors), a 50mw is reasonable, look at the trade topic some serious people sell laser

You can compare the beam with this tool

About safety i dont know if 50mw need glasses, fact is i have only 1000mw so i use them everytime...

I hope regulars member will help you.

Anything over 5mW in any wavelength requires safety goggles. Goggles should always be the first purchase before buying a laser even a 5mW laser. Safety always comes first period.

Welcome !

I am a novice on this forum, but i'll share my point of view :

You want a nice beam but not a burning one, you should take a green laser (which is more visible than other colors), a 50mw is reasonable, look at the trade topic some serious people sell laser

You can compare the beam with this tool

About safety i dont know if 50mw need glasses, fact is i have only 1000mw so i use them everytime...

I hope regulars member will help you.

Anything over 5mW in any wavelength requires safety goggles. Goggles should always be the first purchase before buying a laser even a 5mW laser. Safety always comes first period.
This is what I was thinking. Can I use my ray-bans or my college chemistry lab goggles? What is adequate and would you consider the 'minimum?' I tried to find a thread that was stickied about this, but was unable to. Thanks for your time.

If they are standard lab goggles then they will not provide the proper protection for your eyes.

You specifically need "laser safety" goggles designed to absorb and or reflect laser light.

These are the goggles I use for high power laser. Although these goggles are not cheap remember, it's unwise to think that you can put a price on your vision... :(
In my opinion you cannot! You get what you pay for :beer:
Also the one thing I really like about OEM Laser systems is that if you wear glasses you can choose the correct type of goggles so that they will fit over your glasses :)

Copy and paste the link below. There you can choose the according goggles for the specific wavelength(s) you desire to protect yourself from.

https://www.oemlasersystems.com/product-catalog/laser-eye-protection/visible

Those are what I reccomend BUT if you cant afford them then these are suitable too. Also since you are an LPF member you can get a 10% discount from survival laser. Use the code to get a 10% discount. It's for LPF members on all standard Survival Laser webstore products. Just enter "LPF445" into the discount code box during checkout, and the discount will be applied to your entire order. :na:

Click Here --> Safety

Stay safe and good luck! :beer:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Have fun and be Safe :)

BTW with a low power laser 5mW your not going to see the beam with laser safety glasses on.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Holy crap elbelle that is a cool tool! You would need 22.6W of 405nm to get the same BEAM brightness of a 50mW 532nm laser! Holy Shnike!

+1 to you!

Holy crap elbelle that is a cool tool! You would need 22.6W of 405nm to get the same BEAM brightness of a 50mW 532nm laser! Holy Shnike!

+1 to you!

I think that is far from accurate :crackup:
If the calculator is correct 79mW of 532nm would be as bright as 109W of 405nm light as a dot. Also that 50mW of 532nm light would be as bright as 22.8W light of 405nm light as a beam.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is very accurate but it could help novice as me to have an idea ;)

hello there :D

Welcome To The Forums!

Remember, When Dealing With Laser, ALWAYS WEAR APPROPRIATE SAFETY EYEWEAR!

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics