Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from France

Soub

Hello !

New member on LPF, but long-time reader of the forum.

I learned a lot on this forum, so thanks to all those who make it live with their knowledge, creations, patience and good mood!

English is not my native language, so in advance please forgive my mistakes in the language.

Snecho

Glad to have you as an official member!

Welcome and enjoy your stay :)

welcome....
You were smart to include France in your profile AND the title of this thread. That is the best way to find other members in France and since we are a small number everywhere finding others is not always easy. Your English seems to be very good.
We all like to help each other so feel free to ask for any help anytime.

How are the French laws regarding lasers?

Have you read Sam's Laser FAQ?

He is a wonderful person and likes to help us.
Guess you could say that Dr Sam is our laser 'guru'. At his site you can get info on how to email Sam with questions and he really likes to help whenever he can. BUT almost all questions are answered at Sams FAQ... I helped Sam to attend our biggest and best annual laser meet twice--SELEM, so many got to meet him there in person.
Great to have you here!!!!
ENJOY!!
cheers Len in Texas.

Soub

Thanks Rich!
Thank you paul1598419 !
Thanks Len!

Wouha, a gold mine this Sam's Laser FAQ ! How did I miss it?!?!...
Thanks a lot !

The French regulation is... strict and permissive...

In theory :
All lasers must be in compliance.
Everyone has the right to own and use a laser ≤5mW.
For those >5mW, their possession and use are forbidden, unless this use is part of a list of specific and authorized uses.

In practice:
Verifying that a laser is in conformity is almost impossible by the authorities.
For lasers >5mW, it is "sufficient" to use it in an authorized framework such as for example for "a scientific application intended to improve knowledge" (what is done in astronomy for example when showing stars, nebula, etc.).

you are very welcome---If you happen to be in the USA next aug. you would really enjoy our big meeting -SELEM-everyone is very friendly and nobody feels like a stranger in a short time. do a search and see the great videos... most on Youtube.

One thing that ,while minor, is for certain.. at SELEM nobody will ever ask---'why lasers' 'what good are they' and 'Just why do you need more than one'???
You will make new friends and will want to go to more LEMs that happen world wide.

At SELEM we get to see rare 'old-time' gas lasers , super laser shows- product demos, tutorials and seminars. You might get lucky and win one of the great door prizes-I won three at my first 3 SELEMs and each one had a value of $500usd or more.
If you need rides to/from the airport we will send a car to pick you up. Some split suites at a hotel and we only pay $20-25 each night apiece. Free breakfast too..SELEM has grown to about 5 days and many say they wish it lasted longer!!
Google Search 'SELEM Laser' and there you will get links. You will go to 'Meets and greets' threads there to all LEMs and many others.

best wishes--Len

Snecho

you are very welcome---If you happen to be in the USA next aug. you would really enjoy our big meeting -SELEM-everyone is very friendly and nobody feels like a stranger in a short time. do a search and see the great videos... most on Youtube.

One thing that ,while minor, is for certain.. at SELEM nobody will ever ask---'why lasers' 'what good are they' and 'Just why do you need more than one'???
You will make new friends and will want to go to more LEMs that happen world wide.

At SELEM we get to see rare 'old-time' gas lasers , super laser shows- product demos, tutorials and seminars. You might get lucky and win one of the great door prizes-I won three at my first 3 SELEMs and each one had a value of $500usd or more.
If you need rides to/from the airport we will send a car to pick you up. Some split suites at a hotel and we only pay $20-25 each night apiece. Free breakfast too..SELEM has grown to about 5 days and many say they wish it lasted longer!!
Google Search 'SELEM Laser' and there you will get links. You will go to 'Meets and greets' threads there to all LEMs and many others.

best wishes--Len
I hope to see you there someday Hak :)

I hope to see you there someday Hak :)
Well if you want my help==PM your location and I will see if you can ride with someone going.

AND $$ can be saved on lodging and eats.
It has grown a lot.
iirc the first SELEM only had a few attendees.
Last year I think there was >100 members and their guests. it is, iirc, year #14.
AND
we use 3 'venues' at the same school--in Aug. at Newton N.C.

I have made super friends at SELEMs.
AND got unreal deals in the BS&T room at the last minutes--some would rather sell at a loss than carry the stuff back..

like buy one projector housing cheap and get another one free.
I was able to cut these in half and have 4 housings...so bring cash!!

Snecho

Well if you want my help==PM your location and I will see if you can ride with someone going.

AND $$ can be saved on lodging and eats.
It has grown a lot.
iirc the first SELEM only had a few attendees.
Last year I think there was >100 members and their guests. it is, iirc, year #14.
AND
we use 3 'venues' at the same school--in Aug. at Newton N.C.

I have made super friends at SELEMs.
AND got unreal deals in the BS&T room at the last minutes--some would rather sell at a loss than carry the stuff back..

like buy one projector housing cheap and get another one free.
I was able to cut these in half and have 4 housings...so bring cash!!
Well I don't know if I need a ride or anything. That's very generous Hak.

Besides, you said it's in August of next year (2021) right?

Soub

best wishes--Len

Great proposal, thank you! It would be a great time and a great time to meet people!
However, with the current difficulties to travel internationally...
Here, we have quite a few events that have been cancelled for the summer period.
Anyway, I hope to be able to enjoy them by videos !

Yes, we are locked down here in western Washington State, the first place to see this infection in the US. Been watching a lot more television than I ever did before. They are streaming HBO and Cinemax on cable here. Don't exactly know when it started or how long it might last. I also read a lot too.

AFAIK SELEM 2020 has not yet been cancelled-- to early to tell-----fingers crossed.
They are totally worth the time and cost....MANY say that these LEMs are 'life changing'
I would like to attend them all,. I got LEM fever so bad I hosted my own mini LEM just 3 months
after SELEM and attended 4 more SELEMs!!
To get the 'full effect' you need to not miss any of the days. afaik the only additional cost is the extra days lodging which we have been able to reduce as low as $20 per day--AND the HIE puts out great free morning feed. Basically I only had to cover dinner-- thed suites have a full size kitchen and Walmart is very close. I bring frozen food from my freezer.
The maids clean up after us so we leave a nice tip.

We don't get much sleep BTW.
Happy to answer any Qs..here or PM.--hak

I wouldn't hold out much hope on the 2020 SELEM. Not with the way the south has dealt with this outbreak so far. Looks like the second wave will hit about that time.