Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello and goodbye. We're doomed!

Henee

Hello,

It's great to find this forum and see so many more people who share my love of lasers. A bit about myself...

I'm from the UK and the laser bug bit me when I borrowed on a 10mW HeNe in 1988. I seriously got into them after getting my hands on a 6W YAG at Burning Man in 1998. The guy who owned it also had one of the first ever handheld greenies and I was blown away! (although I must confess the damn fine mushroom tea may have helped with that:undecided:).
I've spent tens of thousands on lasers since, and still can't stop spending even though I don't have a pot to piss in. Some of you know the score here I'm sure.

Anyways- jump forward to tonight...
So I just mounted some of these mighty new fangled 12mm 2W 462nMs to some heatsinks and went out to play. In my opinion the three element lens trumps the G2 as I was amazed at the collimation and tightness of the beam - even at a mile! These things are truly "something else" and I now have have mixed emotions...

They are achingly beautiful.
They are incrdedibly cheap.
They are bloody dangerous!! - in the hands of "stupid".
There is a lot of stupid out there - but not on this forum I'm sure.

I'm now counting down the day's before these things hit the media and the new public ememy number one (on either side of the Atlantic ) with exagerated and sensationalist headlines concerning this "new breed of battery powered superlaser". Quads and drones will have to take second place for a while.
I can see new legislation coming in, and when it does, there's a danger that the baby will get thrown out with the bathwater as it could possibly cover all handheld lasers.

I have my 6W 445nm on its way and I'm gonna make hay while the sun shines.

I hope I'm wrong with all this and our wnderful pastime doesn't have to go underground.

Sorry to be so negative on my first post. It's nice to be here.:)

Any thoughts or comments?

Well...people have been counting the days for a decade now, so......

This^

Hi Henee :wave:

Welcome to the forum and that is a great intro.
So true and hopefully it is later than sooner if at all. :cryyy:

BTW, Please be sure to click on this link for a chance(s) to win a laser of your choice!! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/win-laser-forum-donations-fundraiser-contest-95194.html

What is the point of pushing your little contest so much?

Pic1

Welcome! I hope your predictions are false; however, there are plenty of stupid.

Vince

This^

What is the point of pushing your little contest so much?

Wow, really crazyspaz?
First off, it is not my little contest but for the forum.
Secondly, it is really easy to see that the donation goal to keep the forum running has been missed by a large amount for many months now.
Have you not noticed that?
I am doing my part by donating lasers of the winners choice because I want to see the forum keeping going and have a future.
I figured donating lasers, laser goggles, free shipping, my time and effort to hopefully hit the $400 goal this month is much better than just donating $5 through paypal.

BTW. A big shout out to the members who have and who will enter, you are STELLAR!!! Also c0ldshadow for your help and several other members who have PMed me and are donating lasers also.

APEX1

nice first post! would of been better to do this in the welcome section! still very awesome first post :beer:

From the title of this thread I expected something completely different. I watch some TV news from several different countries everyday, I am now convinced that we are doomed, but not due to lasers.

Hello Henee, welcome to LPF. You should add your location to your profile so it shows under your name, otherwise no one will remember you're in the U.K. More people will respond to your posts especially if you ask certain types of questions.

This subject does worry me a little. I doubt if anyone will ever cause a plane to crash, but with these new higher power reasonably priced diodes, I am more concerned about some noob getting his hands on a laser of several watts power without understanding the danger and setting their house or apartment building on fire. If that ever happens, it will bring lasers some bad publicity that we don't need, let's hope it doesn't happen. You know most people don't even keep a fire extinguisher in their home.

Alan

Wow, really crazyspaz?
First off, it is not my little contest but for the forum.
Secondly, it is really easy to see that the donation goal to keep the forum running has been missed by a large amount for many months now.
Have you not noticed that?
I am doing my part by donating lasers of the winners choice because I want to see the forum keeping going and have a future.
I figured donating lasers, laser goggles, free shipping, my time and effort to hopefully hit the $400 goal this month is much better than just donating $5 through paypal.

BTW. A big shout out to the members who have and who will enter, you are STELLAR!!! Also c0ldshadow for your help and several other members who have PMed me and are donating lasers also.

Was a simple question, no need to freak out.

From the title of this thread I expected something completely different. I watch some TV news from several different countries everyday, I am now convinced that we are doomed, but not due to lasers.

Hello Henee, welcome to LPF. You should add your location to your profile so it shows under your name, otherwise no one will remember you're in the U.K. More people will respond to your posts especially if you ask certain types of questions.

This subject does worry me a little. I doubt if anyone will ever cause a plane to crash, but with these new higher power reasonably priced diodes, I am more concerned about some noob getting his hands on a laser of several watts power without understanding the danger and setting their house or apartment building on fire. If that ever happens, it will bring lasers some bad publicity that we don't need, let's hope it doesn't happen. You know most people don't even keep a fire extinguisher in their home.

Alan

But by the same token, think about it...The lasers people build here are not commercially, and some random Joe on the street isn't going to make one himself without coming to these forums...The problem is the mass of increasingly cheap ~1W 445's on the market. And even then, actual incidents are few and far between, comparitively, and those who do use them to flash planes are caught and punished by law...There was a video posted not too long ago about some guys flashing a plane or helicopter (don't recall), and that thing flipped on it's IR cameras and traced the people and the laser- the pilot was telling a man on the ground exactly where to walk to find it. I will see if I can find the vid.

tl;dr- incidents aren't that common, and while they do happen, they are dealt with appropriately. Having new diodes doesn't change much.

edit: was something like this- turns out there are many videos like this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ttcyIJPm4

Last edited:

Gabe

I have been counting the days of the laser hobby, but I count up rather than down ;)

Well when they tell you that you can't keep yours, I will dispose of those evil lasers for you. ;)
At your service: Redcowboys laser disposal, special offer...FREE

Last edited: