Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heads up re: CanadaPost - full lockout / shutdown of operations tomorrow.

Lets just settle on something we can agree on and say it was clearly all George W Bush's fault! =P

Any updates on the strike? Been google searching and haven't found anything about a end date or status update. Just alot of articles saying about how nobody cares (except small businesses) that there on strike -.-

also interested in news...Jerry cant ship unless those poopheads get back to work!

He's another Google Translate of a French article in a leading
Quebec newspaper...

OTTAWA - Bill C-6 Special (Bill providing for the resumption and continuation of postal services) back-to-work 48 000 unionized Canada Post has been passed in the House of Commons on Saturday night.

Mail delivery should resume at the beginning of the week when the law is approved by the Senate and it has received Royal Assent, a process that will begin this Sunday.

The Labour Minister Lisa Raitt said in the Commons on Saturday that mail delivery would resume 24 hours after such final approvals have been obtained.

The vote on Saturday, 158 deputies voted for the bill, while 113 voted against.

MPs debated the issue in private since Thursday evening, or nearly 58 hours without interruption due to a filibuster tactics of the New Democrats, each in turn, using his right to speak 20 minutes.
"After a totally unnecessary delay, but I am pleased that Canadians will soon have access to their postal service, said Prime Minister Stephen Harper after the vote.

We know which side the public is.

The inevitable outcome of the case, or the adoption of the bill by the Conservative government given its majority of MPs in the Commons began to become increasingly close Saturday later in the day when the Union of Workers Postal Workers (CUPW) has asked the Democrats to save the day.

Friday night, Minister Raitt had met with CUPW negotiators and those of Canada Post, with representatives of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, to see if both parties were ready to return to the negotiating table.

If everything goes well.... I can realistically see Canada Post
back up to speed by next weekend (no sooner)....

Don't forget...

1) some workers will be pi$$ed off
2) those workers may deliberately cause harm (read that how
you like it)
3) they will need to clear the backlog of mail that has piled up
before new mail is touched and before things get back the
way they were before the strike...

Jerry

Last edited:
He's another Google Translate of a French article in a leading
Quebec newspaper...

OTTAWA - Bill C-6 Special (Bill providing for the resumption and continuation of postal services) back-to-work 48 000 unionized Canada Post has been passed in the House of Commons on Saturday night.

Mail delivery should resume at the beginning of the week when the law is approved by the Senate and it has received Royal Assent, a process that will begin this Sunday.

The Labour Minister Lisa Raitt said in the Commons on Saturday that mail delivery would resume 24 hours after such final approvals have been obtained.

The vote on Saturday, 158 deputies voted for the bill, while 113 voted against.

MPs debated the issue in private since Thursday evening, or nearly 58 hours without interruption due to a filibuster tactics of the New Democrats, each in turn, using his right to speak 20 minutes.
"After a totally unnecessary delay, but I am pleased that Canadians will soon have access to their postal service, said Prime Minister Stephen Harper after the vote.

We know which side the public is.

The inevitable outcome of the case, or the adoption of the bill by the Conservative government given its majority of MPs in the Commons began to become increasingly close Saturday later in the day when the Union of Workers Postal Workers (CUPW) has asked the Democrats to save the day.

Friday night, Minister Raitt had met with CUPW negotiators and those of Canada Post, with representatives of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, to see if both parties were ready to return to the negotiating table.

Don't forget...

you like it)
before new mail is touched and before things get back they

Jerry
it sucks that no other postal service has the normal prices like canadapost has :(

but thanks for the share and for keeping track of the news :)

DJNY

Borg, you´re not the only one waiting till the strike is over. I´m waiting till my RPL-425 gets shipped back to wannaburn... after >3months in the nowhere..

rhd

I'm not sure where the next weekend timeframe is coming from, but we'll have postal services back by ~tuesday +/- a day.

Back to work legislation has cleared the house. It's at senate now. Senate is conservative party controlled. The difference here from the house, is that the senate has no NDP senators to obnoxiously filibuster the process. There's a substantial minority made up of the Liberals, but the Liberals are not radical left-wing pro-labour-at-all-cost kind of folk. They'll debate this bill in good faith, but ultimately it will pass today. It needs Royal Assent, which will probably happen tomorrow. In practice, they never withhold Royal Assent.

In that case, the bill will actually direct the workers back to work on Tuesday. There will be a back log for a few days, but as of Tuesday I would presume USPS will start allowing shipments into Canada again. Also, one of the first things they'll need to do to clear that backlog, is start pushing out anything in their depots that is headed for other countries. So while there will be a backlog, the backlog is what a lot of us care about (if we have stuff in transit), and the first thing they'll do is get that backlog moving.

So - I'd say Tuesday will be the first day that those of us waiting on items, will start to see them arriving.

Of course unforeseen political complications can come up, but if things go as they're most likely to go - I'd say Tuesday :)

Last edited:
My experience with large organizations is different and I have to disagree. I personally think it'll take up to two weeks before you guys see things start returning normal in regards to things like shipping times.

You have to remember, while the 'business front' of the post office might be a 9-5 type operation.. the actual moving and sorting of mail isn't. At night is generally when most of the OTR stuff happens. And with the shutdown.. there's no mail 'in route' so to speak.. Stuff in local depots will likely be delivered tuesday.. but I think it'd be the end of the week before you guys start seeing regular mail service start happening again, and probably a week after that before all the backlogs are cleared and things start getting back to normal.

Plus you also have to remember that as soon as the post offices open again.. people will be dumping their week or so worth of mail they've been hanging on to into the system.. so no only is there an incoming backlog of mail.. as soon as post offices open, there will be a outgoing backlog to deal with as well.

Last edited:

rhd

Sure, I would agree that it's not going to be 100% business as usual right off the bat. But the concern for our purposes seems to be focussed on a couple core issues that are relevant to us:

- When will the mail that is in CanadaPost depots waiting to be delivered, be delivered
and
- When will Canadians be able to mail packages out to other people
and
- When will Americans be able to mail packages to Canada through USPS

All of these things will happen almost immediately after the lockout concludes, and they don't require that operations be back to 100% business as usual.

If the USPS has a large backlog of mail going to Canada, they probably won't start accepting mail until that backlog has at least been mostly resolved, since I imagine they continued accepting mail until they ran out of room to store it.. But we'll know the answer to that particular question in the next few days. But I agree the other two issues you list will resolve themselves the first day or two that Canada post resumes operations.

My experience with large organizations is different and I have to disagree. I personally think it'll take up to two weeks before you guys see things start returning normal in regards to things like shipping times.

You have to remember, while the 'business front' of the post office might be a 9-5 type operation.. the actual moving and sorting of mail isn't. At night is generally when most of the OTR stuff happens. And with the shutdown.. there's no mail 'in route' so to speak.. Stuff in local depots will likely be delivered tuesday.. but I think it'd be the end of the week before you guys start seeing regular mail service start happening again, and probably a week after that before all the backlogs are cleared and things start getting back to normal.

Plus you also have to remember that as soon as the post offices open again.. people will be dumping their week or so worth of mail they've been hanging on to into the system.. so no only is there an incoming backlog of mail.. as soon as post offices open, there will be a outgoing backlog to deal with as well.

Exactly..... and I was being optimistic with the "next weekend"
prediction of it being "safe" to start shipping from my company...

@RHD...

The article states....
Canadian homes and businesses will start receiving mail again Tuesday now that legislation forcing 48,000 locked-out postal workers back to their jobs has become law, Canada Post says.
Post offices that were closed during the labour dispute will start to reopen Tuesday as well, while mailboxes will be unsealed starting Monday, the Crown corporation said.

They will probably show up at work on Tuesday.....but I can't
see them at full speed that same day nor do I see them clearing
all the backlog that same day...

I still stand behind what I stated....

Don't forget...

you like it)
before new mail is touched and before things get back the

Jerry

That's what I would do....
I'd give some of the CP hotheads time to
cool down before handing them one of my
packages...:eek:
It will also give then time to clear out some
of the backlogged mail...

Jerry

Last edited:
That's what I would do....
I'd give some of the CP hotheads time to
cool down before handing them one of my
packages...:eek:
It will also give then time to clear out some
of the backlogged mail...

Jerry

i dont want some moron to throw my LPM around in the car ect.
when they accept packages tuesday then please ship friday :)

rhd

Yes - absolutely.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I received essentially everything I was waiting for - DragonLasers 589, a bunch of stuff from Moh, and from Ray, a bunch of DX and FP stuff.

Basically, everything that had been en-route and expected, arrived. You can ship from their stores, and Canadians should be receiving their mail as of yesterday.

Speak for youself RHD...

I have yet to receive one of the dozen or so packages that
were due to arrive just before the CP strike...
And I will not ship anything until I see the mail flowing...

Jerry