Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hawaii, which islands?

What other island besides Oahu should I visit?

• Total voters

mfo

Hello everyone. I'm going back to Hawaii in July, 2010. I'm going for about three weeks this time. Last time I went I was only on Oahu. This time however I want to try to at least visit two other islands. However, I am not sure which islands to visit. I'm thinking Maui, because everyone says the good food is there, but the big island has nice scenery. I'm also thinking about Kauai. I don't know, so many to choose from! So, what do YOU recommend and why?

jwc

I went years ago to the big island and then to Maui. On the big island, there isn't too much in the way of beaches and stuff, but if you're interested in geology, you should take a 12-hour bus tour around the entire island. I really enjoyed that. Otherwise, there isn't too much to do. There are a few ranches that you may want to see; or, you could take a helicopter ride if you're feeling dangerous. :)

Maui has some nice beaches and the food is pretty good. We went to a luau which had some nice local food and entertainment.

From what I hear, Kauai is supposed to especially beautiful because much of it is unsettled and untouched by humans.

I've only been to the big island but from what I hear, everything else just seems to commercial.
I also heard that there is a zip-line tour thing through some foresty valley... somewhere. I never got to do it but it sounded really intense.

I want to go back.

It's been a while, but Kauai was really nice. Not too crowded and lots of geckos everywhere. Plenty of hotties, good food, golf courses, beaches, hotties, and plenty to do.

Be sure to bring me along! LOL! I lived on the Big island, (Hawaii) for over 3 years! And I can teach you enough local talk to get 1/2 off almost everywhere! I stay DaKine Kamaaianahowlie! -Glenn

btw, in 1980 I bought 2 acres in Puna district for $10K and I have spent over 2 months on Oahu (Sunset Beach), as well as a lot of time on Kauai and Maui of which two, I liked Kauai better. FYI

Last edited:

jayrob

When I was about 17, we did a family trip to my home island of Oahu...

When my wife and I got married, we went to Kawaii, and it was really nice for hiking. Check out the Na Pali coast.

Took a 2 hr. heli ride when we were on the 'garden island' and it was amazing...

Several years later, we took another trip to Maui with friends of ours and did a bunch of diving. From Maui, you can easily take a short boat trip to Lanai and Molokini for diving and stuff. I liked Maui better only because I was with my dive buddy and we had some great dive trips. We also took a trip to the summit of Haleakala. Catch it on a clear day and you can see other islands from the nearly 10,000 foot visitor center.

I would love to go back and visit other islands. I always wanted to see the live lava flow on the big island.

I was born in Honolulu, but we moved to the 'main land' with I was only two years old. Still my home land though!

Last edited:
Be sure to bring me along! LOL! I lived on the Big island, (Hawaii) for over 3 years! And I can teach you enough local talk to get 1/2 off almost everywhere! I stay DaKine Kamaaianahowlie! -Glenn

btw, in 1980 I bought 2 acres in Puna district for $10K and I have spent over 2 months on Oahu (Sunset Beach), as well as a lot of time on Kauai and Maui of which two, I liked Kauai better. FYI

lol awesome gettin respect from the locals, it definitely is hard. But ehh Maui was fun but tbh I enjoy spending time at home, maybe its just because I hate going with my family. I do have to say yes, food is very good in Maui

mfo

Wow, thanks for your input guys! However, am more confused now than I was before on which island to visit beides Oahu haha. I think I am leaving more towards Kauai though. Hopefully I can stop spending money on lasers, save some extra $ and go to both Kauai & Maui. Glenn you're coming with me so I can get some of that good Maui food for 1/2 off :D Btw sunset beach is beautiful...I'm so excited to go back. I honestly wish I could move there right now and ditch nyc. I hate it here so much...

mfo

Btw Jay, I finally saw what you look like via your youtube. You look Hawaiian bro.

jayrob

You mean the T-rex heli video? Or the Johnny B Good video?

Half Japanese (Mother's side), born is Hawaii...

I drive with my American side though! :crackup: jk

I can say that cause I'm half Japanese. :)

Last edited:

mfo

You mean the T-rex heli video? Or the Johnny B Good video?

Half Japanese (Mother's side), born is Hawaii...

I drive with my American side though! :crackup: jk

I can say that cause I'm half Japanese. :)

Both, I watched all but the laser vids actually. That "Another day in the office" video was awesome.

You can drive with your American side, just don't drive with your NYC side. (I don't know if you've ever been to NYC, but hands down the worst drivers in the country are here)

Half Japanese? Would never know that with the name "Robertson".

Edit: If you don't mind me asking, why haven't you moved back to Hawaii? Seems like no competition with Cali :p

jayrob

Never thought seriously about it really... Always thought of it as a nice vacation spot.