Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Have you ever killed a Laser?

SyKo

I had to destroy a few since they are usually made slightly differently, however it usually came to using a vice with a lot of padding to avoid warping and scratching them and being sure to break the glue before trying to yank them out too much.

Reactions: GSS
Hi, do you have ever killed a laser and how?

I have killed my share but the most embarrassing one was when I got all caught up soldering and installing a contact board into a Kryton Groove host on my first build. This was all very new to me and so I foolishly soldered the pos/neg leads from the contact board directly to the diode forgetting the driver completely! LOL. I think because it was a round driver and looked similar to the contact board I unconsciously confused the two and thought it was the driver. It worked for about 2 seconds then died and I instantly realized why. I felt incredibly stupid. luckily it wasn't too expensive of a diode just a red 650. Lesson learned.

Yeah, I recently killed my 2W 445 :( It was my first ever build, but I guess it can only improve from there. I'm looking to make a large red and large blue build now. The blue is gonna be about 6W and the red will be 700mW. I'm excited to see how they turn out :)

:crackup: Yes I have killed many lasers, they tremble a the mere mention of my name.
Here are just a few.

51229d1462107571-have-you-ever-killed-laser-sany0774.jpg

51230d1462107855-have-you-ever-killed-laser-sany0775.jpg

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamnnnnn!!! Lol

GSS

For all you multiple diode killers there is one bright spot to your pain. Sharing how far you pushed them or any silly mistakes is just helping all of us learn:beer:

Last edited:
Only laser's I've ever killed was a cheap 303, ended up dropping it and breaking it instantly.

But, other than that, I have TERRIBLE luck with batteries and lenses. I've accidentally shorted out at least 4 batteries, either with a bad host or magnets completing the circuit by accident. I have also busted a couple 3-elements as long as my favourite G7, the couple of 3Es got polluted from the fumes/smoke of burning with the laser and I still have yet to find out how the G7 got burn marks on it from a simple 3W laser. My theory is the O-ring between the lens and diode (ended up falling off) got burnt and the fumes went into the lens... But it looks like burn marks rather than pollution. So, be careful when it comes to batteries and lenses :p

Diodes and modules on the other hand, I seem to be quite careful with.

GSS

Only laser's I've ever killed was a cheap 303, ended up dropping it and breaking it instantly.

But, other than that, I have TERRIBLE luck with batteries and lenses. I've accidentally shorted out at least 4 batteries, either with a bad host or magnets completing the circuit by accident. I have also busted a couple 3-elements as long as my favourite G7, the couple of 3Es got polluted from the fumes/smoke of burning with the laser and I still have yet to find out how the G7 got burn marks on it from a simple 3W laser. My theory is the O-ring between the lens and diode (ended up falling off) got burnt and the fumes went into the lens... But it looks like burn marks rather than pollution. So, be careful when it comes to batteries and lenses :p

Diodes and modules on the other hand, I seem to be quite careful with.
HaHa, I bet that 303 was one of the better ones of the cheapie's.
Whats that saying? about there is a job for everything and everyone, I guess yours is to warn us of how not to short out a battery I would think:whistle:

If were going to throw shorted batteries into the mix I've done that as well. I wanted to replace the shrink wrap so took an exacto knife and cut a line down the side of an 18650 and it flared up into flames and shocked the hell out of me. I had to keep tossing it from hand to hand as I ran out of the house. I didnt want to burn the carpet.
That one left some marks. lol

If were going to throw shorted batteries into the mix I've done that as well. I wanted to replace the shrink wrap so took an exacto knife and cut a line down the side of an 18650 and it flared up into flames and shocked the hell out of me. I had to keep tossing it from hand to hand as I ran out of the house. I didnt want to burn the carpet.
That one left some marks. lol

Wow... If that happened to me I probably would've crapped myself :crackup: Being so precise with the cut down the side and then sudden lithium flames... I'll pass on that one :crackup:

+rep :D

Last edited:
Wow... If that happened to me I probably would've crapped myself :crackup: Being so precise with the cut down the side and then sudden lithium flames... I'll pass on that one :crackup:

+rep :D

Ha! Yeah it suprised the hell outta me! Also hurt quite a bit. Those batteries pack a serious punch. I had electrical burns on my fingers for weeks. Funny thing is this was just days after I killed the 650 diode by forgetting the driver. My wife advised me maybe I should just buy lasers which I mostly agreed with. Im not too good with electronics. Clearly. Glad Im good at art to pay the bills.

Last edited:
Speaking of accidents we should all remember to store our lasers with the batteries out. ;)

GSS

A while back I was tearing apart any old electrical appliances like TV's, VCR's, fans etc. Not really for knowledge but for the fun factor, occasional DC motor, and copper.
On all the circuit boards I would even pull the smallest "resistor?" and even unwind the thinnest of copper from them if I was bored.
I was into one of the bigger cable boxes and pulled out a round metal one about half the length of a AA battery. It was well sealed and I decided to drill it out and bang or poof this stinken gas sprayed out and like others said I bolted for the front. I couldn,t come back in till I aired out the place for a couple hours. My lungs burned a bit for 2 days and drill bits, screw drivers and pliers next to it had the plating come off. This was bad and the only none stupid thing I did was that I had safety glasses on because of the drilling.
As stupid as this post is i'm asking stupidly " What was in that thing"?:eek:

Last edited:
Ouch!! Sounds to me like you blew off the top of a big capacitor with a short, but can't be sure not enough evidence.